How to calculate if the Isospin, angular momentum is conserved in a reaction

In summary, the question is asking if it is allowed or forbidden to have two particles with the same total isospin and angular momentum after a nuclear reaction, and the answer is that it is conserved.
jonjacson

Homework Statement

There are a lot of similar problems so it is a general question, if you have a nuclear reaction with two particles before, and two afther the process ¿How do you calculate if the Isospin is conserved?¿or the angular momentum?.

For example(it could be any other) we have this reaction:

Pi- + proton----------->Pi0 + neutron

And the question is if it is allowed or forbidden and why.

Homework Equations

Conservation laws of nuclear quantities.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I started searching which were the properties of these particles:

For the pions I=1, and for the p,n the I=1/2 so now ¿Should i compose the total Isospin using clebsh jordan coefficients?.Or can i consider this?:

1+1/2=1+1/2 so I is conserved.

The same for the angular momentum.

¿What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking to see if the total isospin and angular momentum of the final state is equal to the total isospin and angular momentum of the initial state and if the z-component of these quantities is also conserved (if you have that info). You don't really need to go to the trouble of using the actual Clebsch-Gordon coefficient, but you need to understand how angular momenta add.

For example, if the initial state consists of a spin-1 particle and spin-1/2 particle, the allowed values of total angular momentum quantum number j is 1/2 and 3/2 (neglecting any orbital angular momentum). The final state must also have this total angular momentum. So two spin-1/2 particles would be forbidden because their angular momenta would combine to give either j=0 or j=1, but a spin-3/2 particle and a spin-0 particle would be allowed.

vela said:
You're looking to see if the total isospin and angular momentum of the final state is equal to the total isospin and angular momentum of the initial state and if the z-component of these quantities is also conserved (if you have that info). You don't really need to go to the trouble of using the actual Clebsch-Gordon coefficient, but you need to understand how angular momenta add.

For example, if the initial state consists of a spin-1 particle and spin-1/2 particle, the allowed values of total angular momentum quantum number j is 1/2 and 3/2 (neglecting any orbital angular momentum). The final state must also have this total angular momentum. So two spin-1/2 particles would be forbidden because their angular momenta would combine to give either j=0 or j=1, but a spin-3/2 particle and a spin-0 particle would be allowed.

Thanks for the answer vela, I understand what you say, so I don't need to create the states, the important quantity is the module (and that is the conserved quantity), and you only have to check if the initial values are posible in the final state.

Thank you very mucho:)

1. How is the Isospin calculated in a reaction?

The Isospin is calculated by assigning a value of 1/2 to protons and a value of -1/2 to neutrons. The total Isospin of a nucleus is equal to the sum of the Isospin of its individual nucleons.

2. What is the significance of Isospin in a reaction?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry properties of the strong nuclear force. It helps to predict the behavior of particles in a reaction and can be used to determine if the reaction is allowed or forbidden.

3. How is the conservation of angular momentum determined in a reaction?

The conservation of angular momentum is determined by calculating the total angular momentum of the particles before and after the reaction. If the total angular momentum remains the same, then it is conserved.

4. What happens if the conservation of Isospin or angular momentum is violated in a reaction?

If the conservation of Isospin or angular momentum is violated in a reaction, it means that the laws of conservation of these quantities have been broken. This can happen in certain nuclear reactions, such as beta decay, where particles are emitted and the total Isospin or angular momentum of the system changes.

5. Can the conservation of Isospin or angular momentum be violated in any reaction?

The conservation of Isospin and angular momentum are fundamental laws of physics and are expected to hold in all reactions. However, there are some rare cases, such as nuclear beta decay, where these laws can be violated due to the nature of the reaction. In most cases, these quantities are conserved and their conservation can be used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in a reaction.