(LinearAlgebra) all 2x2 invertible matrices closed under addition?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the set of all 2x2 invertible matrices is closed under addition. It is defined that a vector space V is closed under addition if the addition of any two vectors in V is also in V. The answer to the question is no, and a counter-example is provided to show this. It is explained that since the addition of two invertible matrices, I and -I, results in a non-invertible matrix, 0, it is not in V. Therefore, V is not closed under addition.
Sanglee

Homework Statement

Suppose V is a vector space.
Is the set of all 2x2 invertible matrices closed under addition? If so, please prove it. If not, please
provide a counter-example.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i know that what does it mean to be closed under addition. When V is closed under addition, if I suppose vector u and w are in the V, their addition u+w is also in the V, right?

The answer for the question is No.
A counter-example my professor provided is I+(-I)=0
I and (-I) are invertible, but their addition 0 is not invertible. and I know why it's not invertible.
But I don't figure out why it is not closed under addition,,.
If the addition is not invertible, does it mean that the addition is not in the V?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sanglee said:

Homework Statement

Suppose V is a vector space.
Is the set of all 2x2 invertible matrices closed under addition? If so, please prove it. If not, please
provide a counter-example.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i know that what does it mean to be closed under addition. When V is closed under addition, if I suppose vector u and w are in the V, their addition u+w is also in the V, right?
Yes.
The answer for the question is No.
A counter-example my professor provided is I+(-I)=0
I and (-I) are invertible, but their addition 0 is not invertible. and I know why it's not invertible.
But I don't figure out why it is not closed under addition,,.
If the addition is not invertible, does it mean that the addition is not in the V?
Yes. V consists of only invertible matrices, so 0 is not an element in V. So you have u=I and w=-I are both in V, but their sum u+w=0 is not in V. Therefore V is not closed under addition.

So clear, easy to understand. Thanks!

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be invertible?

For a square matrix, being invertible means that it has a unique inverse matrix that, when multiplied together, result in the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse matrix "undoes" the original matrix.

2. Why are 2x2 invertible matrices closed under addition?

This means that if you take any two 2x2 invertible matrices and add them together, the result will also be a 2x2 invertible matrix. This is because the inverse of the sum of two matrices is equal to the sum of their individual inverses, and for 2x2 matrices, the inverse exists if and only if the determinant is nonzero.

3. How do I know if a 2x2 matrix is invertible?

A 2x2 matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is nonzero. This can be calculated by taking the product of the elements on the main diagonal (top left to bottom right) and subtracting the product of the elements on the other diagonal (top right to bottom left).

4. Can I use any 2x2 matrix for linear algebra calculations?

No, the matrix must be invertible in order to have a unique solution. If the matrix is not invertible, it is singular and does not have a unique solution.

5. How are invertible matrices used in linear algebra?

Invertible matrices are used to solve systems of linear equations, find the inverse of a matrix, and perform transformations in linear algebra. They are also important for studying properties of matrices and their operations.