Simple Power in a circuit problem

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ravenprp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Power
In summary, the conversation discusses determining a missing quantity in a circuit using the equations P = IV = V^2 / R and V = IR. The user attempted to solve for the voltage using P = VI, but encountered an error due to not accounting for negative power and polarity. After re-reading the text, they were able to correct their mistake.
ravenprp

Homework Statement

Determine the missing quantity in the circuits in figure below.

Homework Equations

P = IV = V^2 / R
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

From the diagram, I know the current is flowing opposite to the reference direction (because of the negative current). I used the equation, P = VI.

So,

-20 W = V (-2 A)... I get V is equal to 10 V. It says something is wrong, what am I doing wrong?

I know since the power is negative, and due to Passive Sign Convention, it is supplying power. I'm kind of stuck as to why it doesn't work out the way I did it. Thanks.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I re-read the text in the mean while and I figured this out. I forgot to change the polarities and switch V_1 to -(V_1).

There could be a few reasons why your solution is not working out. First, make sure you are using the correct signs for the voltage and current values. In this case, the negative sign for the current indicates that it is flowing in the opposite direction of the reference direction, but the voltage should still be positive.

Another possibility is that you are not considering the direction of the current when calculating power. In this circuit, the negative power indicates that the source is absorbing power, not supplying it. This means that the voltage and current values should be multiplied together with the opposite signs, since they are going in opposite directions.

Finally, it could be a simple calculation error. Double-check your calculations to make sure you are using the correct values and performing the operations correctly.

Remember, in science and engineering, it is important to always check your work and make sure your solutions make sense. If you are still having trouble, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

What is a simple power in a circuit problem?

A simple power in a circuit problem refers to a basic electrical engineering concept where the power output of a circuit is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current values.

How do I calculate the power in a circuit?

To calculate the power in a circuit, you need to multiply the voltage (in volts) by the current (in amps). The resulting unit will be in watts, which is the standard unit of power.

What are the key factors that affect power in a circuit?

The power in a circuit is affected by two main factors: voltage and current. Changing either one of these values will result in a change in the power output. Additionally, the resistance of the circuit also plays a role in determining the power output.

What is the relationship between power and energy in a circuit?

Power and energy are closely related in a circuit. Power is the rate at which energy is being used, and it is calculated by dividing the energy used by the time it takes to use it. In other words, power is the change in energy over time.

How can I improve the power output in a circuit?

There are a few ways to improve the power output in a circuit. One way is to increase the voltage or current, as both of these factors directly affect the power output. Another way is to decrease the resistance in the circuit, which will allow for a more efficient flow of electricity and thus increase the power output.