Engineering Physics Major- Carrer Advice Needed

In summary: This will give you access to a wealth of resources, including job postings, and will allow you to participate in the discussion forums.
Overkill777
I am an Engineering Physics Major/Math Minor. I am a senior now after finishing my first 3 years. I am beginning to wonder if I will be able to find a job with a bachelor's degree in Engineering Physics. I have been trying for 8 months to get an internship but I have had absolutely no luck. I don't get any responses. I have a 3.73 GPA and many skills such as using machine shop tools and Java and C++ programming. It seems like I wouldn't have this problem if I was a mechanical or electrical engineer.

I chose the Engineering Physics major because I LOVE physics and I know I want to do some kind of engineering. I just want to build or design things but I still don't have a clue on what industry I want to be in or what job specifically I want to do. Some kind of research and development maybe.

Some of my relatives are suggesting I go and get my Masters Degree. I am capable of doing so but I don't have an extremely strong desire to. I would rather start going to work after I graduate though it means I will make less money in my career. However, what I have learned is most important, is how difficult it will be to find a job.

If I were to go on to grad school, what do you think I should do? I am considering Electrical or mechanical engineering, or maybe aeronautical engineering. How does a Masters degree in ME or EE sound on top of a Bachelor's in Engineering physics?

BTW I am going to Eastern Michigan University, not a huge school. But I might be able to get into University of Michigan for Graduate school, which is pretty renowned for engineering.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your resume says you are seeking an internship this might be one reason why you haven't had any bites. You are not looking for an internship. You are looking for a job. While many companies do hire interns, they typically do so through an official liaison program with the schools. Interns are students who work for a short time and then return to being a student. Regular full-time employees are former students who have graduated and who do not have immediate plans to return to the academic world. There is a huge difference between interns and full-time employees. Your resume should state that you are seeking a full-time employment position or something similar.

Do you have any focus in your Bsc? Like materials physics, computational physics and the likes?

I would do like this, start on the shopfloor and work your way up. Once when summer starts, work in a industry which is greatly influenced with the technologies you'd like to design. Then you work well, that is very hard and dedicated, turn up to work in time and focus on the work when working. Then you have an opening for next summer maybe?

How are your social skills?

Will one be able to find a job with a bachelor's degree in Engineering Physics?
Certainly. However, success in landing a job depends on many factors besides just having a degree and a good GPA.

As already mentioned, communication and interpersonal skills are important. Being able to interact with others is an inherent part of any job, whether is customers, peers or management.

but I still don't have a clue on what industry I want to be in or what job specifically I want to do. Some kind of research and development maybe.
If one conveys that in an interview, it could discourage a manager from hiring one.

When I went for the job interview for my first professional job out of university, I approached a particular company for a particular job. I already knew what was needed to do that job, and I pretty much got the job on the spot (they called me the next morning with an offer). The job position involved work which was similar to some of my research and course work at university.

An MS in MechEng or EE is certainly feasible with an Engineering Physics BS.

I would recommend one check out www.asme.org[/url] and [url]www.ieee.org[/URL] and see the different what's available within those disciplines. Look at the student/education and career pages, and consider becoming a student member.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Engineering Physics major?

An Engineering Physics major is an interdisciplinary field that combines the principles of engineering and physics to solve complex problems in various industries, such as aerospace, biomedical, and energy. It involves the application of mathematical and scientific concepts to design, develop, and improve technological systems and devices.

2. What skills are required for an Engineering Physics major?

An Engineering Physics major requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also requires proficiency in computer programming, data analysis, and communication skills.

3. What career opportunities are available for Engineering Physics majors?

Engineering Physics majors have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, electronics, and healthcare. They can work as engineers, researchers, consultants, or educators in fields related to their specialization, such as materials science, optics, or nanotechnology.

4. Is an Engineering Physics major a good choice for me?

If you have a strong interest in both physics and engineering, and enjoy solving complex problems and designing innovative solutions, then an Engineering Physics major may be a good choice for you. It offers a diverse range of career options and allows for a combination of theoretical and hands-on work.

5. How can I prepare for an Engineering Physics major?

To prepare for an Engineering Physics major, it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as computer skills. Taking advanced courses in these subjects during high school can also be beneficial. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities can help you develop the necessary skills for this major.