Anyone have a science lab in their home?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of having a science lab in one's home. One person mentions having an observatory on their deck and another person shares their experience of setting up a repair shop in their kitchen. The conversation then shifts to discussing the equipment and space needed for a home workshop or laboratory, with examples such as home brewing and photography. One person also mentions working on a website related to titration at home. The conversation ends with a person stating that they prefer to keep work and home life separate.
Wax
Anyone have a science lab in their home? I'm just curious.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Define 'science lab' :smile:

Borek said:
Define 'science lab' :smile:

How about something along the lines of Dexter's Laboratory? :tongue:

What do you have at your house? Do you do anything cool with it?

Well it isn't technically in my home, but I have an observatory on my deck.

Wax said:
Anyone have a science lab in their home? I'm just curious.
No,but I used to set up an electronic repair shop/lab in my kitchen nightly when I was refurbishing tube-driven guitar amplifiers. Of course, I used to use the same kitchen table to rebuild S&S racing carburetors when my Harley needed more "juice". My wife is a saint.

turbo-1's response suggests an interesting comparison: personal repair shop, personal repair garage, any room or workspace at home which one is equipped to conduct a variety of tasks dedicated to a particular practical interest. How equipped the workshop (or laboratory) is depends on what the person can afford. Home brewing, food fermenting, conventional photographic custom operations, electronic test equipment...?

Kitchens and garages might be the best rooms in the house to set up workshops and laboratories. The rest depends on what equipment one can find and afford, and how sensible making arrangements to be able to use the equipment may be.

Wax said:
What do you have at your house? Do you do anything cool with it?

I have some analytical glass and I work (slooooowly) on the website devoted to titration - see for example pH indicators used in titration. More pictures in other places of the site.

Why would I bring my work home with me? I have much better things to do at home than demonstrate my numerous failings to my family firsthand...

1. Can I set up a science lab in my home?

Yes, you can set up a science lab in your home as long as you have the necessary space and equipment. It is important to follow safety guidelines and have proper ventilation in the lab.

2. What equipment do I need for a science lab in my home?

The equipment needed for a science lab in your home will depend on the type of experiments you plan on conducting. Some basic equipment includes beakers, test tubes, a microscope, and safety equipment such as goggles and gloves.

3. How much space do I need for a science lab in my home?

The amount of space needed for a science lab in your home will vary depending on the equipment and experiments you plan on conducting. It is recommended to have a designated room or area with at least 100 square feet of space.

4. Can children have a science lab in their home?

Yes, children can have a science lab in their home as long as they are supervised by an adult. It is important to teach children about proper safety measures and supervise their experiments to ensure their safety.

5. Are there any regulations or permits needed for a science lab in a home?

It is important to check with your local government to see if there are any regulations or permits needed for a science lab in your home. Some areas may have restrictions on certain types of experiments or require a permit for safety reasons.