Minor in Physics: Chemistry or Math?

• Programs
  • Thread starter dEdt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of specializing in nanotech and nanoelectronics for a first year physics undergraduate. It is mentioned that taking math classes can supplement a physics degree and that chemistry may also be helpful in nanotech jobs. The conversation also touches on the differences between theoretical work and experimental work in nanotech, and how math and chemistry play a role in each. Ultimately, it is suggested to explore different courses and areas within nanotech to see what best suits one's interests.
dEdt
This will probably come off as a very vague question, so I appologize in advance.

I am a first year physics undergraduate, and for the past year or so I have dedicated much time and effort towards deciding what area of physics I would like to specialize in. At the moment, one field that interests me in particular is nanotech and nanoelectronics. If I were to pursue that, should I minor in chemistry or in math (or neither)?

A related questiton: how much physics is there in nanotech? I love physics, and I love working with the math that accompanies it. If I choose to study nanotech, will I loose that part of the physics? Or is there room for a more theoretical approach to nanotechnology?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
dEdt said:
This will probably come off as a very vague question, so I appologize in advance.

I am a first year physics undergraduate, and for the past year or so I have dedicated much time and effort towards deciding what area of physics I would like to specialize in. At the moment, one field that interests me in particular is nanotech and nanoelectronics. If I were to pursue that, should I minor in chemistry or in math (or neither)?

A related questiton: how much physics is there in nanotech? I love physics, and I love working with the math that accompanies it. If I choose to study nanotech, will I loose that part of the physics? Or is there room for a more theoretical approach to nanotechnology?

Thanks in advance.

First off, I'm also a first year physics undergrad, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I would say that in general, any sort of physics degree is going to be supplemented well by taking math classes. At least at my school, the math reqs for a physics degree are relatively low, so I'm double majoring in both physics and math. And I don't know what exactly goes into nanotech jobs, so I can't help you on your specific question. I'd imagine that chemistry would help as well though, so maybe just taking a minor in chemistry and taking some extra math classes will be for you. But make sure you take the right classes of chemistry that would cater towards nanotech.

Thanks for the advice...I was actually thinking about doing it the other way around and minoring in math, while taking a few chemistry courses along the way. I figure it will be easier to go from physics to nanotechnology than the other way around, and I'm still not so sure about what I really want to specialize in later.

On the other hand, I would have a better chance of self-studying the math, so perhaps not.

Nanotech is a rather wide field you know, so it really comes down to what you want to do. I'm not in the field myself, but my BSc thesis was essentially an experimental nanofabrication project, together with associated physics theory and data treatment, so I have at least had extensive contact with one research group.

Math is always useful for physics, so in nanotech the more advanced math will mostly be useful in theoretical work/analyses/simulations. That probably ties mostly into the experimental nanosciences. Chemistry has it place in solid state chemistry and nanomaterials, as well as in the development of nanofabrication techniques.There are some interesting stuff going on with synthesized molecules as well, such as the nanocar. On the whole I have the idea though, that the chemistry in nanotech tends to be along the lines of physical chemistry and material science.

For nanoelectronics the spectrum is similar. Do you want to do theoretical work, then it's math (and physics obviously). To have full understanding of the fabrication then there's a lot of surface science and physical chemistry. A lot of the nanoelectronics comes down to the fabrication and the interactions - both chemical and physical - between different materials.

So in summary there's the usual answer: it depends. I hope this illuminates some of the possibillities. And it certainly doesn't hurt to take a chemistry course or two to see what it's like.

I would recommend considering both chemistry and math as potential minors for a focus on nanotechnology. Both disciplines have important applications in this field and can provide a solid foundation for further studies and research.

In terms of the amount of physics in nanotechnology, it is important to note that nanotechnology is a highly interdisciplinary field that combines elements of physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. Therefore, a strong understanding of physics is essential for success in this field. However, there is also a need for knowledge in other areas, such as chemistry and mathematics, to fully understand and manipulate nanoscale materials and devices.

In terms of a more theoretical approach, there is definitely room for this in nanotechnology. Theoretical physicists play a crucial role in developing models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of nanoscale systems. So if you are passionate about physics and mathematics, there are certainly opportunities to incorporate these interests into your studies and research in nanotechnology.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to minor in chemistry or math (or both) will depend on your specific interests and career goals within nanotechnology. I would recommend exploring both subjects further and considering which one aligns more closely with your interests and future plans. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the difference between a Minor in Physics and a Major in Physics?

A Minor in Physics is a secondary area of study that complements a student's primary major, while a Major in Physics is a primary area of study that requires a more in-depth and comprehensive understanding of the subject. A Minor in Physics typically covers a smaller range of topics and requires fewer credits compared to a Major in Physics.

2. Can I pursue a Minor in Physics if I am majoring in Chemistry or Math?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Minor in Physics while majoring in Chemistry or Math. However, it is important to note that the requirements for a Minor in Physics may vary depending on the institution and the specific program. It is recommended to consult with academic advisors to ensure that the minor requirements can be fulfilled alongside the major requirements.

3. What are the benefits of a Minor in Physics for students majoring in Chemistry or Math?

A Minor in Physics can provide a well-rounded education for students majoring in Chemistry or Math, as it can enhance their understanding of physical principles and their applications. It can also open up career opportunities in interdisciplinary fields such as biophysics, materials science, and data analysis.

4. What are the common courses included in a Minor in Physics for students majoring in Chemistry or Math?

The common courses in a Minor in Physics may include introductory physics courses, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. Depending on the program, students may also be required to take advanced courses in areas such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and computational physics.

5. Can I switch from a Minor in Physics to a Major in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a Minor in Physics to a Major in Physics. However, this may require additional coursework and meeting the requirements for the Major in Physics, which may include completing more advanced courses and a research project. It is recommended to consult with academic advisors to determine the best course of action for switching majors.