Derivation of first integral Euler-Lagrange equation

That leaves$$\frac{df}{dx}=\left(\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\right)y'$$or$$\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx} \left(y' \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\right)$$which is the desired result.In summary, the derivation of the "first integral" Euler-Lagrange equation involves using the E/L equation to substitute into the given equation and then using the chain rule to simplify. By adding and subtracting a term and using the identity for the total derivative, the desired equation is obtained.
martyg314
Derivation of "first integral" Euler-Lagrange equation

Homework Statement

This is from Classical Mechanics by John Taylor, Problem 6.20:

Argue that if it happens that f(y,y',x) does not depend on x then:

EQUATION 1
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{\delta f}{\delta y}y'+\frac{\delta f}{\delta y'}y''
[/tex]

Use the Euler-Lagrange equation to replace [tex]\frac{\delta f}{\delta y}[/tex] on the RHS and show that:

EQUATION 2
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\left ( y'\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} \right )
[/tex]

This gives you the first integral:

EQUATION 3
[tex]
f-y'\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}=constant
[/tex]

Homework Equations

E/L equation:

[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the E/L equation to substitute into EQUATION 1 to get:

[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y'+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''
[/tex]

Then I used the chain rule to get:

EQUATION 4
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=y'\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\frac{d}{dx}y'+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''
[/tex]

Which equals

[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=y'\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''
[/tex]

However, based on solutions I've seen the two y'' terms should cancel, leaving EQUATION 2

The solution I saw showed that after the substitution, EQUATION 4 is instead:

[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=y'\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}-\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\frac{d}{dx}y'+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''
[/tex]

Is there some chain rule identity of some sort I'm missing? I just don't see where the negative comes from to cancel the two terms.

Thanks,

MG

Physics news on Phys.org

martyg314 said:
E/L equation:

[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the E/L equation to substitute into EQUATION 1 to get:

[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y'+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''
[/tex]

You should really write this as

[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=\left(\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\right)y'+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''~~(*)
[/tex]

since you're getting confused about where that derivative acts.

Then I used the chain rule to get:

EQUATION 4
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=y'\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\frac{d}{dx}y'+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''
[/tex]
No, What you want to do is add and subtract

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} y' \right) = \left(\frac{d}{dx} \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} \right) y' + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} y''[/tex]

from the RHS of (*):

[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=\left(\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\right)y'+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y'' + \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} y' \right) - \left(\frac{d}{dx} \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} \right) y' - \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} y''
[/tex]

and simplify.

fzero said:
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}=\left(\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\right)y'+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y'' + \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} y' \right) - \left(\frac{d}{dx} \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} \right) y' - \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} y''
[/tex]

and simplify.

Where did
$$
\frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} y' \right)
$$
this piece come from?

Dustinsfl said:
Where did
$$
\frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} y' \right)
$$
this piece come from?

We're adding 0 to the equation that I called (*), in the form of the identity for the total derivative of ##\partial f/\partial y'##. The last 3 terms in the equation that you quoted cancel amongst themselves.

I can provide a response to the derivation of the first integral Euler-Lagrange equation. The first integral Euler-Lagrange equation is derived by substituting the Euler-Lagrange equation into a given equation, and then simplifying the resulting equation. In this case, the given equation is EQUATION 1, which does not depend on x. This means that the partial derivative of f with respect to x is zero. By substituting the Euler-Lagrange equation into EQUATION 1 and simplifying, we arrive at EQUATION 4. The key to understanding why the two y'' terms cancel is to recognize that the second term in EQUATION 4, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y'', is actually the same as the third term, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y''. This is because the chain rule tells us that \frac{d}{dx}y'=\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}y, which means that the second and third terms are equal. Therefore, they can be combined and the two y'' terms cancel out, leaving us with EQUATION 2. This shows that the first integral of the Euler-Lagrange equation, EQUATION 3, is indeed a constant, as it does not depend on the independent variable x.

Related to Derivation of first integral Euler-Lagrange equation

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics that describes the motion of a system in terms of its kinetic and potential energies. It is used to find the path that a system will take from one point to another, and it is based on the principle of least action.

2. What is the significance of the first integral in the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The first integral in the Euler-Lagrange equation is a constant of motion that remains unchanged as the system evolves. This means that it provides a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of a system over time.

3. How is the first integral derived from the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The first integral is derived by taking the time derivative of the Euler-Lagrange equation and setting it equal to zero. This results in a first-order differential equation that can be solved to find the first integral.

4. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be applied to any system?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be applied to any system that can be described in terms of kinetic and potential energies. It is commonly used in classical mechanics, but it has also been applied in other fields such as quantum mechanics and field theory.

5. How does the Euler-Lagrange equation relate to the principle of least action?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action (the integral of the difference between the kinetic and potential energies). The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from this principle and provides a mathematical framework for finding the path of least action.