Calculating Normal Mode: 2 Bars & Metal Spring

In summary, the problem involves two thin metal bars of equal length and mass hanging at the same height, connected at the lower end by a metal spring with a spring constant of k and length d. The goal is to calculate the normal mode of the system by writing down the force balance and equations of motion, taking into account the three different forces: the force causing tension of the springs, the force of gravity, and the restoring force of the spring. The next step would be to pick a coordinate system and write down the force balance and equations of motion for each bar in terms of the angles they make against vertical. Using these equations, the angular acceleration can be related to the spring force and solved for each bar. However, since the top ends
blost
2 metal, thin, bars (length=l, mass=m) are hunging on same height (distance between bars-d)
Lower end of bars are conected by metal spring (mass=0, k-spring constant, d-length)
My problem is how to calculate a normal mode.

Physics news on Phys.org
start by writing down the force balance/equations of motion...

so...

there are 3 diferent forces

1) force which causes tense of springs [tex]F=F_0cos(\omega t)[/tex]

2) force of gravity (I susspect we can pass over it because for small deflection of bars is really little...

3) Restoring force of spring [tex] F=-kx [/tex]

What shall I do next ?

1) is there a sinuosoidal driving force?
2) probably fair assumption, though we''ll keep it in mind
3) ok so this is the main restoring force

now i would pick a co-ordinate system, the angle of each bar makes against vertical seems like a good choice.

Then, for given angles t1, t2 write down the force balance with the equations of motion for each bar...

1) yes, there is some sinusoidal force but I think we can forget it. I needed it to second part of task...

I have no idea how to do it... I Must write some differential eguation, yes ? I still have big problems with differential equations...

Last edited:
start with an FBD for a single bar, write down the moments about the hinge in terms of the spring force (unknown) then relate that to the angular acceleration about that point... (think about including gravity if needed as well... this will proabbly give you a pendulum mode...)

the other bar should look pretty similar, then using the fact the spring force is the same, couple them together to get a set of differential equations based on the two angles...

[tex]\varepsilon = \frac{M}{I}[/tex]

[tex]I=1/3 ml^2[/tex]

[tex]M=F*l[/tex]

[tex]F=-kx \Rightarrow F=-ksin\alpha l[/tex]

[tex]\varepsilon = \frac{-ksin\alpha l^2}{1/3 ml^2}[/tex]

[tex]\varepsilon =-3 \frac{ksin\alpha}{m}[/tex]

I try my best but I think it is wrong...

ok... I tried do It better:

[tex]M_1=- \frac{1}{2}d mgsin \theta[/tex]

[tex]M_2=-kxcos\theta d \Leftrightarrow M_2=-ksin\theta d cos \theta d[/tex]

[tex]M_w=- \frac{1}{2}d mgsin \theta-ksin\theta d^2 cos \theta[/tex]

[tex]sin\theta \approx \theta[/tex]

[tex]cos\theta \approx 1[/tex]

[tex]M_w=- \frac{1}{2}d mg \theta-kd^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]I \varepsilon= M_w[/tex]

[tex]\varepsilon= \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}+ (\frac{\frac{1}{2}d mg-kd^2}{I})\theta=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} + \omega _0^2\theta=0[/tex]

[tex]\omega _0^2= \frac{\frac{1}{2}d mg-kd^2}{I}[/tex]

[tex]\omega _0= \sqrt{\frac{\frac{1}{2}d mg-kd^2}{I}}[/tex]

is it good ?

so the top ends of the bars are pinned, and they can only roatte about that pin?

its a bit difficult to follow, what exactly is theta here?

but shouldn't you have 2 variables, one to capture the motion of each bar?

(distance between bars-d)

sory but english is not my first language and... when I put "pin" in my dict there is only "penis" :D

Theta is a delfection angle of bar...

pinned connection means free to rotate about that point, but restrained form any translations

d will be constant at the pinned ends of the bar, but teh bars can rotate inpedendtly, though they wil be affected by the spring. ie you probably need a theta for each bar...

so... 2 different theta it's a bit too complicated for me... how i must modificated my solution ?

1) How do I calculate the normal mode of a system with 2 bars and a metal spring?

To calculate the normal mode of a system with 2 bars and a metal spring, you will need to use the equations of motion and boundary conditions for a simple harmonic oscillator. These equations can be found in many physics textbooks or online resources.

2) What is the significance of calculating the normal mode of a system?

The normal mode of a system represents the natural oscillations of the system. It is important to calculate the normal mode in order to understand the behavior of the system under different conditions and to analyze its stability.

3) Can the normal mode of a system change?

Yes, the normal mode of a system can change under different conditions such as changes in the mass or stiffness of the system. It is important to recalculate the normal mode when these conditions change.

4) How do the properties of the metal spring affect the normal mode of the system?

The properties of the metal spring, such as its stiffness and length, will affect the normal mode of the system. These properties determine the frequency of oscillation and the amplitude of the oscillations.

5) Is there a specific formula for calculating the normal mode of a system with 2 bars and a metal spring?

Yes, there is a specific formula for calculating the normal mode of a system with 2 bars and a metal spring. This formula involves solving for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the system's equations of motion. Again, these can be found in physics textbooks or online resources.