Calculating Acceleration on a Flat Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time and acceleration of a car stopping on a flat surface, as well as determining the coefficient of kinetic friction. The individual has determined the time to stop as 10 seconds and the acceleration as 0.3m/s^2, but is unsure how to find the kinetic friction coefficient without the mass of the car. They are advised to use the car mass in their calculations, which will cancel out. They also discuss an equation for determining acceleration and correcting an error in converting initial speed to m/s.
KiNGGeexD
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1389222066.191867.jpg

I am a little stumped with this question:( I have attached my solution so far which has just been to deduce the acceleration on the flat surface
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1389222135.050107.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I posted images?

KiNGGeexD said:
View attachment 65423

I am a little stumped with this question:( I have attached my solution so far which has just been to deduce the acceleration on the flat surface

View attachment 65424

Can you determine the time that the car takes to stop and the acceleration?

From that can you determine the co-efficient of kinetic friction?

Once you that you should be able to solve it.

AM

Ahh ok!
I determined the time to stop as 10 seconds and acceleration to be 0.3m/s^2:)

So how do I get the kinetic friction coefficient without the mass of the car?

KiNGGeexD said:
Ahh ok!
I determined the time to stop as 10 seconds and acceleration to be 0.3m/s^2:)
You should show us how you get that. What is the initial speed in m/s? Plot speed in m/s vs. time on a graph. What does the area under the graph represent? Work out the formula for that area and express in terms of change in speed and time.

So how do I get the kinetic friction coefficient without the mass of the car?
Work it out using m for the car mass. You will see that mass cancels out.

AM

Write an equation, you might find the mass cancels.

I got

a= g(sinθ - μcosθ)But it occurs to me I don't have the acceleration

KiNGGeexD said:
I got

a= g(sinθ - μcosθ)

But it occurs to me I don't have the acceleration
Determine the time it takes to stop. Your calculation of 10 seconds is wrong. How do you determine acceleration from the stopping time and initial velocity?

Show your work and we can help you. We cannot guess what you are doing if you just tell us what you "got".

AM

Ah I know what I have done wrong, I converted the initial speed into m/s incorrectly :)

I think I got it now

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated on a flat surface?

Acceleration on a flat surface can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it can be measured in feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or miles per hour squared (mi/h^2).

4. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on a flat surface?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its acceleration on a flat surface. However, a greater mass may require more force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.

5. Can acceleration be negative on a flat surface?

Yes, acceleration can be negative on a flat surface. This indicates that the object is decelerating or slowing down. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or retardation.