Finding the distance between a point and a level curve

In summary, the problem involves finding the point on a curve that is closest to a given point. To solve this, a distance formula is needed, which can be obtained by setting the distance from the curve to the given point as a minimum. This can be done using Lagrange multipliers.
yeahhyeahyeah

Homework Statement

Find the point on the curve defined by 5/8 x^2 - 3/4 xy + 5/8 y^2 = 1

That is closest to the point (1,-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding the gradient vector. < (5/4x - 3/4 y) , (5/4y - 3/4x) >

I could not figure out if that was even the right direction to go in because I don't know how I'd even find a distance formula

Physics news on Phys.org
You have one equation with two unknowns, so you need another equation relating those two variables. You do have information to construct another equation: the distance from the curve to the specified point is a minimum. Write down an equation that expresses that condition, and then solve the two equations for the two unknowns.

ah nvm i realized its just optimizing a function with another contraining function.. i think... so i could use lagrange multipliers

thanks for your help

1. How do you find the distance between a point and a level curve?

The distance between a point and a level curve can be found by using the formula: d = |f(x,y) - k| / √(fx(x,y)2 + fy(x,y)2), where f(x,y) is the function defining the level curve and k is the value of the level curve.

2. Can you explain the concept of a level curve?

A level curve is a curve on a graph that represents all the points where a function has a constant value. This means that any point on the curve will have the same value as the function, while points off the curve will have different values.

3. How can you determine if a point is on a level curve?

To determine if a point is on a level curve, substitute the x and y coordinates of the point into the function defining the curve. If the resulting value is equal to the value of the level curve, then the point is on the curve.

4. What is the significance of finding the distance between a point and a level curve?

Finding the distance between a point and a level curve can help in determining the closest point on the curve to the given point. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as optimizing a function or solving geometric problems.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the distance between a point and a level curve?

Yes, there is a specific formula that can be used to find the distance between a point and a level curve, as mentioned in the answer to the first question. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and can also be used to find the distance between a point and a surface in three-dimensional space.