Help Solving Algebra Problem: Find Value of K

In summary, the problem asks for the value of K for which the line y=2x+K is a tangent to the curve y=x²-2x-7. The answer is -11.
ruby_duby
Algebra problem!

theres this question that i was given in my class notes and she wants us to try and solve it but i just don't get it and i need your help please. I think that you have to use completing the square method but I am not sure, but here's the question

Find the value of K for which the line y=2x+K is a tangent to the curve y=x²-2x-7.

please help me it would be much appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
edit: Sorry, what I said before was wrong. Actually, the answer is -11.

Last edited:
okay...in algebra you learn something about stuff like that also.

try to find 2 points on y=x^2-2x-7 that are equdistant from the vertex of the parabola. the roots of the equation would work. use midpoint formula to find the coordonate of the vertex, and plug it in f(x) to find it's y-coordonate.

now that you know the y-coordonate of the vertex, that's the K you want.

y'=2x+k...well the "2x" part is given to you ,meaning that you don't actaully know how to make the x^2 turn into a 2x. Looks like an algebra2/precalc problem so use what i wrote above.

Robokapp said:
try to find 2 points on y=x^2-2x-7 that are equdistant from the vertex of the parabola. the roots of the equation would work. use midpoint formula to find the coordonate of the vertex, and plug it in f(x) to find it's y-coordonate.
now that you know the y-coordonate of the vertex, that's the K you want.
Wait a minute... If you do this then you get K=-8 but K should be -11!

Last edited:
OK, I know how to do this. Let's visualize the given curve and the tangent line. Since you already know the slope of the tangent line, all you have to do to get the equation of the tangent line is to "move" your tangent line (without changing its slope) up or down such that it intersects with the curve. BUT, the tagent line should intersect with the curve only once if it is suppose to be called a "tangent."

Now we know that if curve and the tangent line intersect at a single point then they should have the same y coordinate. So we can set the two equations equal to each other i.e.
[tex]2x + K = x^2 - 2x - 7[/tex]

If we solve for x, we get (using the quadratic equation):

[tex] x = \frac{4 \pm \sqrt{44 + 4K}}{2}[/tex]

Now since we are looking for a single soltion for x (i.e. only one intersection) then the value inside the sqrt should be zero. The only way this is possible is when K = -11. :smile:

Last edited:
ok i kind of understand but how do you get 44 in the quadratic equation

ruby_duby said:
ok i kind of understand but how do you get 44 in the quadratic equation
Lets start from the top.

So you have

[tex]2x + K = x^2 - 2x - 7[/tex]

Bringing everything to one side we get:

[tex]x^2 - 4x - 7 - K = 0[/tex]

or

[tex]x^2 - 4x - (7 + K) = 0[/tex]

This is of the form [itex]ax^2 + bx + c[/itex] where a = 1, b=-4, and c = -(7+K).

Now you know that we can solve these types of equations using the quadratic forumula which says that

[tex] x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

Using the particular values for a, b and c we get:

[tex] x = \frac{4 \pm \sqrt{16 + 4(7+K)}}{2}[/tex]

further simplifying we get:

[tex] x = \frac{4 \pm \sqrt{44+4K}}{2}[/tex]

Now the only way we can have a single unique solution for x is when [itex]44+ 4K = 0[/itex] which means that K = -11.

Last edited:
thank you for breaking it down to me i finally understand it at last. thank you i really appreciate your help

1. How do I solve for the value of K in an algebraic equation?

To solve for the value of K, you need to use algebraic principles and techniques to isolate the variable K on one side of the equation. This may involve combining like terms, using the distributive property, or applying inverse operations. Once K is isolated, you can solve for its value.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for K?

One common mistake is forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation. This can throw off the balance of the equation and lead to an incorrect solution. It is also important to carefully track signs and keep track of any variables or constants that are being added, subtracted, multiplied, or divided.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve for K?

Yes, in some cases a calculator may be necessary to solve for K. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and techniques of algebra to ensure that the calculator is used correctly. Additionally, some equations may have multiple solutions, so it is important to check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. How do I know if my solution for K is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting the value of K back into the original equation and solving it. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct. You can also check your solution by graphing the equation and seeing if the point (K, y) falls on the line.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving algebraic equations to find the value of K?

One helpful tip is to always start by simplifying the equation as much as possible before trying to solve for K. This may involve factoring, canceling out terms, or using the quadratic formula. It is also important to be patient and methodical, double-check your steps, and always check your solution to ensure its accuracy.