Calculating the Integral of an Elliptical Area: How to Solve for a?

In summary: If you hadn't gone back to check your antiderivative, you'd have had the wrong answer. In summary, the area of the ellipse given by \frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1 is \pi ab, obtained by letting x = a sin(theta), then integrating \frac{4b}{a}\int_{0}^{a}\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}dx using the substitution x = a sin(theta) and then undoing that substitution to get the result in terms of x.
tabukihna

Homework Statement

The area of the ellipse [tex]\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1[/tex] is given by
[tex]\frac{4b}{a}\int_{0}^{a}\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}dx[/tex] . Compute the integral.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to let [tex]x=asin\theta[/tex] and then [tex]dx=acos\theta[/tex] . Then I plug in x. Do I need to solve for a and plug that in, or am I really over thinking this?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
tabukihna said:

Homework Statement

The area of the ellipse [tex]\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1[/tex] is given by
[tex]\frac{4b}{a}\int_{0}^{a}\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}dx[/tex] . Compute the integral.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to let [tex]x=asin\theta[/tex] and then [tex]dx=acos\theta[/tex] . Then I plug in x.
[tex]dx=acos\theta d\theta[/tex]
Don't omit the differential.

You don't "plug in x"; you replace x and dx in your original integral with the expressions that involve theta and its differential. Maybe that's what you meant, but it isn't what you said.
tabukihna said:
Do I need to solve for a and plug that in, or am I really over thinking this?
Thanks in advance.
You can't solve for a, so yes, you are overthinking this.

a is a constant (semimajor axis), so there's no need to solve for it.

Oops I had the [tex]d\theta[/tex] written down but forgot to type it.
Yes, that is what I meant, but since this is a message board I didn't think it'd be a big deal. Thanks for setting me straight about thinking too much :).

Ok I worked it out, but I'm not really sure what kind of answer I'm supposed to be getting.
Here's the work(if anything needs to be explained better please say so).

[tex]Let x=asin\theta[/tex] [tex]Then dx=acos\theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\frac{4b}{a}\int_{0}^{a}\sqrt{a^{2}-(asin\theta) ^{2}} acos\theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{4b}{a}\int_{0}^{a}\sqrt{1-sin^{2} \theta} acos\theta d\theta[/tex]
Pythagorean ID, square root and then multiply
[tex]=\frac{4b}{a}\int_{0}^{a}a^{2}cos^{2}\theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{4ba^{2}}{a}\int_{0}^{a}cos^{2}\theta d\theta[/tex]
Half-Angle
[tex]=4ab \int_{0}^{a} \frac{1}{2} \left ( 1+cos2\theta \right ) d\theta[/tex]
Used substitution.
[tex]=\left [ 2ab\theta \right ]_{0}^{a}+[absin2\theta]_{0}^{a}[/tex]

[tex]sin\theta=\frac{x}{a}[/tex] and [tex]\theta=arcsin\frac{x}{a}[/tex]

[tex]=\left [ 2ab*arcsin\frac{x}{a} \right ]_{0}^{a}+[ab\frac{x}{a}]_{0}^{a}[/tex]

Since [tex]arcsin(1)=\frac{\pi }{2}[/tex] and [tex]arcsin(0)=0[/tex]
[tex]=2ab\frac{\pi }{2}+ab=\pi ab+ab[/tex]

It looks like you did fine right up to the end where you evaluated your antiderivative at 0 and a. After finding the antiderivative (a function of theta), you need to undo your substitution, and get the antiderivative back in terms of the original variable, x.

Alternatively, you can change the limits of integration from values of x to values of theta. x = 0 ==> theta = 0, so that one is easy, x = a ==> theta = sin-1(a/a) = sin-1(1) = pi/2.

Either way should give you the same result.

Hmm...I thought I did. I think it should've been [tex]sin2\theta=\frac{2x}{a}[/tex] , but I don't get where else I messed up. Is that it?

I have
[tex][2ab*arcsin\frac{x}{a}]_{0}^{a}+[ab\frac{2x}{a}]_{0}^{a} = \pi ab+2ab[/tex]

Thanks for the patience.

No, your original substitution was x = a sin(theta), so x/a = sin(theta), so theta = sin-1(x/a).

You're coming out with the wrong answer for the ellipse's area.

Mark44 said:
No, your original substitution was x = a sin(theta), so x/a = sin(theta), so theta = sin-1(x/a).

You're coming out with the wrong answer for the ellipse's area.

Sorry, you lost me. Yes, that was my original substitution. Then when I'm going back to x doesn't [tex]sin2\theta=\frac{2x}{a}[/tex] ?

I'm still getting the same answer [tex]\pi ab + 2ab[/tex]

The result you're getting is incorrect.

From post 4, you have
[tex]=4ab \int_{x = 0}^{x = a} \frac{1}{2} \left ( 1+cos2\theta \right ) d\theta[/tex]
[tex]=\left [ 2ab\theta \right ]_{x = 0}^{x = a}+[absin2\theta]_{0}^{a}[/tex]

I added "x = " in your limits of integration, for emphasis and as a reminder that your antiderivative is in terms of theta, not x. In carrying out this integration, you did another substitution, u = 2theta, du = 2d(theta), but you did the integration and undid that substitution.

You still need to undo your original substitution, x = a sin(theta) OR change your limits of integration. If you undo your first substitution, you'll need to replace theta in 2ab*theta and in ab*sin(2theta).

x = a sin(theta) <==> theta = sin-1(x/a)

tabukihna said:
Sorry, you lost me. Yes, that was my original substitution. Then when I'm going back to x doesn't [tex]sin2\theta=\frac{2x}{a}[/tex] ?
To answer your question, no. sin(2*theta) = sin(2*sin-1(x/a))

Mark44 said:
To answer your question, no. sin(2*theta) = sin(2*sin-1(x/a))

I believe this was my mistake all along. I was going back to x but had the sin(2theta) messed up.
I'm now getting [tex]\pi ab[/tex] for the answer.

It's always the little mistakes. :bugeye:
Thanks for the help.

Sure, you're welcome.

Being good at calculus is partly about attention to detail.

1. What does the area of an ellipse represent?

The area of an ellipse represents the total space enclosed within the boundary of the ellipse.

2. How is the area of an ellipse calculated?

The area of an ellipse can be calculated using the formula A = π * a * b, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse respectively.

3. What is the significance of the area of an ellipse in mathematics?

The area of an ellipse is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering. It is also a key component in the study of conic sections.

4. Can the area of an ellipse be calculated using an integral?

Yes, the area of an ellipse can also be expressed as an integral, specifically the double integral ∫∫dx dy over the region of the ellipse. This method is often used for more complex or irregularly shaped ellipses.

5. How does the area of an ellipse differ from the area of a circle?

The area of an ellipse and a circle are similar in that they both use π as a constant and have a radius. However, the area of an ellipse is typically larger than the area of a circle with the same radius, as it takes into account both the major and minor axes of the ellipse.