Find Current I1 in 7.5 Ω Resistor with Kirchhoff's Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a textbook involving finding the current passing through a 7.5 Ω resistor in a circuit. The suggested solution involves using Kirchhoff's Rule and finding equivalent resistances between different points in the circuit. The final answer is 0.65A, but the person asking for help is unsure of their approach and asks for clarification or an alternative solution.
deenuh20

Homework Statement

In the circuit below: (a) Find the current I1 that passes through the 7.5 Ω resistor.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Rule--Loops

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a problem in my textbook. The answer is .65 A, but I don't understand how to get that. I tried Kirchhoff's rule by finding equivalent R between A & B and Then finding equivalent R between A & C then finding I, Then breaking I into I1 and I2 (according to the parallel resistances between A & B)

However, I still didn't get the answer, .65 A. Was my approach correct, or is there another way? Thank you.

Attachments

• Circuit 2.jpg
    Circuit 2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
Your plan of how to solve it is OK, and when I did it that way I got 0.65A.

If you can't find your mistake, show your working, then somebody can check through it.

Your approach using Kirchhoff's rule is a valid method for finding the current I1 in the 7.5 Ω resistor. It is possible that there may have been a calculation error in your steps, which resulted in a different answer. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for the resistors and voltage sources in the circuit. Another approach that can be used to find I1 is to use Ohm's law, which states that the current through a resistor is equal to the voltage across the resistor divided by its resistance. In this case, the voltage across the 7.5 Ω resistor is the same as the voltage across the 10 Ω resistor, which is 12 V. Therefore, using Ohm's law, we can calculate I1 as 12V/7.5Ω = 0.8 A. This is very close to the given answer of 0.65 A, which may be due to rounding errors. Overall, your approach using Kirchhoff's rule was correct, but it is always important to double check your calculations and use alternative methods to verify your results.

1. What is Kirchhoff's rule?

Kirchhoff's rule, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are two fundamental principles in electrical circuit analysis that govern the behavior of current and voltage in a circuit. The first rule, Kirchhoff's current law (KCL), states that the sum of the currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving that node. The second rule, Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL), states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

2. How do Kirchhoff's rules help in finding current in a resistor?

Kirchhoff's rules provide a systematic method for analyzing complex circuits and determining the values of currents and voltages at different points in the circuit. By applying Kirchhoff's laws, we can set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown current in a specific resistor.

3. Can Kirchhoff's rules be applied to any circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's rules can be applied to any circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit or a more complex network of interconnected components. As long as the circuit is closed and does not contain any reactive components (such as capacitors or inductors), Kirchhoff's laws can be used to analyze it.

4. What is the difference between KCL and KVL?

Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) deals with the conservation of charge in a circuit, stating that the sum of the currents entering and leaving a node must be equal. On the other hand, Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) deals with the conservation of energy, stating that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

5. How can Kirchhoff's rules be used to find the current in a specific resistor?

To find the current in a specific resistor, we can use Kirchhoff's laws to set up a system of equations involving the resistances, currents, and voltage sources in the circuit. By solving these equations simultaneously, we can determine the value of the current in the desired resistor. Alternatively, we can use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the current flow in different branches of the circuit and use Ohm's law (I = V/R) to calculate the current in the specific resistor based on the voltage drop and resistance in that branch.