Determine electronic transitions by the emitted wavelength?

In summary, the electronic transition of He II emitting a 468.6 nm photon is a pashen-alpha line, with energy levels that can be treated using the Bohr model. The final state (m) can be determined by trial and error, while the initial state (n) must be very close to an integer due to the uncertainty of the wavelength.
FountainPen

Homework Statement

What is the electronic transition of He II when it emits 468.6 nm photon.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{\lambda}=4R\left(\frac{1}{m^2}-\frac{1}{n^2}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it is a pashen-alpha line from googling but I don't know how to find that from this equation with two unknowns. I know the energy levels are discrete so there is probably only one transition that makes this wavelength. Don't know why He II and not He I so I might be missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
HeI is the neutral He atom, HeII is the once-ionized helium, it has a single electron. The energy levels of HeII can be treated with the Bohr model, with Z=2.

You can find n and m by trial and error. They must be integer numbers in principle. m is the final state, it can be 1, 2, 3,... Find n for each of them. Because of the uncertainty of the wavelength, it will not be an integer number exactly, but it has to be very close to an integer.

ehild

Thanks for explaining what He II is. I thought there would be some sort of mathematical way to determine the transition without brute force. Oh well.

1. How do you determine electronic transitions using the emitted wavelength?

The emitted wavelength of light is directly related to the energy difference between two electronic states. By measuring the wavelength of light emitted, we can calculate the energy difference and determine the electronic transition that occurred.

2. Can electronic transitions be determined for any element or compound?

Yes, electronic transitions can be determined for any element or compound that exhibits a change in electronic energy states. However, the specific wavelengths emitted may vary depending on the element or compound.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining electronic transitions by emitted wavelength?

The accuracy of determining electronic transitions by emitted wavelength can be affected by factors such as experimental error, instrument limitations, and the presence of other elements or compounds that may also emit light at similar wavelengths.

4. How does the intensity of the emitted light relate to the electronic transition?

The intensity of the emitted light is directly proportional to the number of atoms or molecules undergoing the electronic transition. Therefore, a higher intensity of emitted light indicates a larger number of electronic transitions occurring.

5. Are there any other methods for determining electronic transitions besides measuring the emitted wavelength?

Yes, there are other methods for determining electronic transitions, such as absorption spectroscopy and fluorescence spectroscopy. These methods also involve measuring the energy difference between electronic states, but they use different techniques and may provide additional information about the electronic structure of the sample.