Physics classes as a electrical engineer

In summary, the speaker is looking for physics classes that will be valuable in their understanding of electricity and magnetism. They have a background in math and physics and are currently taking a course that covers vector calculus and its applications. They are seeking recommendations for other physics courses that will enhance their skills as an electrical engineer, specifically ones that are not typically included in an undergraduate EE degree. The speaker mentions a previous course on semiconductor physics that they found interesting but was poorly executed. They are open to taking a solid-state physics course in a physics department for a different perspective.
kyleEngi
I am having trouble taking classes to get full time status because my college only offers electrical engineering courses at night. I am looking for some physics classes that will prove useful in my field. I've heard some PE's with masters in engineering physics say they can derive solutions to problems the electrical engineers toolbox cannot.

So I am look for some physics classes that will offer value in my understanding to electricity and magnetism. I am currently taking a physics course that is self-contained teaching vector calculus with applications.

background of Math and Physics: I've taken differential equations, linear algebra, calculus based physics 1 (mechanics) , physics 2 (electricity and magnetism).

current physics course outline:

Mathematical techniques specifically used in the study of mechanics, electricity, magnetism, and quantum physics are developed in the context of various physical problems. Course includes the topics of vector calculus, coordinate systems, the Laplace equation and its solutions, elementary Fourier analysis, & complex variables. Applications to electrostatics, mechanics, and fluid dynamics are emphasized.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what is your question?

If you're asking if the course looks good, then yes. All the techniques listed (e.g. vector calc, Laplace and Fourier) are very important to electrical engineering.

You might find physics classes are heavier on the theory and deeply exploring a few abstract examples, while EE classes covering the same material are more focused on solving EE specific problems.

not sure how to make an edit:

my overall question is what are other physics courses i can take that will further my ability to become a great electrical engineer with tools that arn't available in a standard EE undergrad degree.

I took a course on semiconductor physics. I hated the class because it was poorly executed, but I found the material very interesting. Not all colleges offer the course, however.

Hard to say. I good EE program has internal physics courses targeted for the needs of practicing EEs.

Like jz92wjaz says, semiconductor physics is very interesting and useful, but that is probably offered in your EE dept. Solid-State Physics in a physics dept will cover some of the same material but with a different emphasis.

1. What is the importance of taking physics classes as an electrical engineer?

Physics is the foundation of all engineering disciplines, including electrical engineering. It provides a fundamental understanding of how the physical world works, which is essential for designing and analyzing electrical systems and devices.

2. What topics are typically covered in physics classes for electrical engineers?

The topics covered in physics classes for electrical engineers include mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. These concepts are directly applicable to the design and analysis of electrical circuits and systems.

3. How do physics classes help in understanding electrical circuits?

Physics classes provide a strong foundation in concepts such as voltage, current, resistance, and power, which are crucial in understanding electrical circuits. They also cover the principles of electromagnetism, which is the basis for the functioning of electric motors, generators, and other devices.

4. Can I excel in electrical engineering without taking physics classes?

While it is possible to learn the necessary physics concepts through self-study or on-the-job training, taking physics classes will provide a more comprehensive understanding of the principles and their applications. This can significantly improve your performance and career prospects as an electrical engineer.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong math background for physics classes as an electrical engineer?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and algebra, is necessary for understanding the complex mathematical concepts and equations used in physics classes for electrical engineers. It is recommended to have a good grasp of these mathematical principles before taking physics courses.