What is the mistake in my derivative calculation and how can I fix it?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the two expressions are not equivalent and the problem is with the denominator in the second expression.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
(And you will be greatly rewarded in the afterlife)

It's crazy, I don't see where I goes wrong. Lookit..
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{x}{z\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)} \right) [/tex]
[tex]= \left(\frac{1}{z\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)} \right)[/tex]
[tex]+(x/z)(-1)\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)^{-2}\left((1/2)(x^2+y^2)^{-1/2}2x+(1/z^2)(3/2)\sqrt{x^2+y^2}2x\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\frac{1}{z\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)} \right) [/tex]
[tex]-\frac{3x^2\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}{z^3\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)^2}[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{x^2}{z\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2} \right)^2}[/tex]

The first term agrees with Mapple but not the second and third.
In the second, the 3 is a 2 and in the third, the big parenthesis is not raised to the 2. (it's to the 1)

I have checked using the command 'simplify' that our two expressions are not equivalent. what Mapple does is that it get a (x²+y²)^½ out of the parenthesis before taking the derivative. And the worst thing is, when I do that too, I get the same result as mapple, but not when I don't take out (x²+y²)^½ first. I've banged my head on the desk for hours on this and get's see why I don't get the same answer by the two "methods". Help me obi-wan kenobi. You are my only hope.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
[tex]-\frac{x^2}{z\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2} \right)^2}[/tex]
It seems that this term is wrong. I get:
[tex]- \frac{x ^ 2}{z\sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2} \left( \sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2} + \frac{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2} ^ 3}{z ^ 2} \right) ^ 2}[/tex]
*You seem to forget a [itex]\sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2}[/itex] in the denominator...*
You should check it again :wink:

Here's what I got

For that term, I get [tex]-\frac{x^2}{z\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2} \right)^2}[/tex]

When I simplify that term I get [tex]-\frac{x^2}{\left( x^2+y^2\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( x^2+y^2+z^2\right)^2}[/tex]

I attached a Maple worksheet with my work (I use Maple v9.51) rename the file without the .txt so it ends with .mw (PF wouldn't let me upload .mw files, but .txt OK).

Attachments

• forPF (rename without .txt).mw.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
VietDao: you'Re right, but it was just a Latex error. I have that too and haver edited the original post.

I still don't see where my mistake is.
Here's what my mapple has to say:

Attachments

• coo-coo.mw.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 397

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a given point. It tells us how much a function is changing at a particular point.

2. Why is it important to get the derivative right?

The derivative is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and how it changes. It is also used in many practical applications, such as optimization problems and physics equations.

3. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. It is also important to have a strong understanding of algebra and basic calculus concepts.

4. What are common mistakes when finding derivatives?

Some common mistakes when finding derivatives include not applying the rules correctly, forgetting to use the chain rule, and not simplifying the expression before differentiating.

5. How can I improve my skills in finding derivatives?

Practice is key in improving your skills in finding derivatives. Make sure to understand the rules and concepts thoroughly and practice with a variety of functions. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources for additional practice and guidance.