A Force Depending on Velocity and Displacement

In summary: This is a general solution, so you also set the initial conditions to find the specific solution. It's a lot of algebra, but sometimes that's how you solve these things. Good job !In summary, the body of mass 1 kg initially at rest 1 meter North of the origin moves with a displacement of ##x=\left(\frac{5t}{4\cdot 6^{\frac{1}{4}}}\right)^{\frac{8}{5}}+1## meters and acceleration of ##a=\frac{\left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{5}}}{5^{\frac{2}{5}}}t^{-\frac{2}{5}}
Bill_Nye_Fan

Homework Statement

A body of mass 1 kg moves so that at time ##t## seconds, its displacement is ##x## meters from a fixed origin. The body is acted upon by a force of ##\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{v^2}## Newtons, where ##v## is the velocity in m/s. The body is initially at rest 1 meter North of the origin. Express ##x## in terms of ##t## and hence find the point in time when the displacement and acceleration have the same magnitude. Express all answers correct to 3 significant figures.

Homework Equations

Using calculus to convert between displacement, velocity and acceleration
##a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=v\cdot \frac{dv}{dx}##
##v=\frac{dx}{dt}##
##a=f\left(x\right),\ \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=f\left(x\right),\ \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2=2\int _{ }^{ }f\left(x\right)dx,\ v^2=2\int _{ }^{ }f\left(x\right)dx##

The Attempt at a Solution

##a=\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{v^2}##, ##v^2=\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{a}## (equation 1)
Using the last rule in the relevant equations:
##v^2=2\int _{ }^{ }\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{v^2}dx## (equation 2)
Substituting the first equation into the second:
##\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{a}=2\int _{ }^{ }\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{\left(\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{a}\right)}dx=2\int _{ }^{ }adx##
##\int _{ }^{ }adx=\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{2a}##
##a=\frac{d\left(\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{2a}\right)}{dx}##
##a=\frac{\left(\frac{a}{\sqrt{x-1}}-2\sqrt{x-1}\cdot \frac{da}{dx}\right)}{4a^2}##
##4a^3=\frac{a}{\sqrt{x-1}}-2\sqrt{x-1}\cdot \frac{da}{dx}##
##-2\sqrt{x-1}\cdot \frac{da}{dx}=4a^3=\frac{a}{\sqrt{x-1}}##
##\frac{da}{dx}=\frac{a}{2\left(x-1\right)}-\frac{2a^3}{\sqrt{x-1}}##

From here I'm not sure how to simplify this further. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I solved it, and the approach is much different. I won't give you the answer, but I will lead you to it. Start with ## (\frac{d^2x}{dt^2})(\frac{dx}{dt})^2=\sqrt{x-1} ##. Look for a simple trial function for ## x=x(t) ## that will simplify the right side. The obvious choice is ## x(t)=t^n +1 ##. Try to solve for ## n ## and see what you get. This one is not the answer yet=but start with that, and see if you can get close.

Likes Bill_Nye_Fan
Charles Link said:
I believe I solved it, and the approach is much different. I won't give you the answer, but I will lead you to it. Start with ## (\frac{d^2x}{dt^2})(\frac{dx}{dt})^2=\sqrt{x-1} ##. Look for a simple trial function for ## x=x(t) ## that will simplify the right side. The obvious choice is ## x(t)=t^n +1 ##. Try to solve for ## n ## and see what you get. This one is not the answer yet=but start with that, and see if you can get close.
Thanks for the advice :) I'll start working through some trial functions

Likes Charles Link
Update: I just noticed that the formula ##a=v\cdot \frac{dv}{dx}## works a lot better in this scenario. Almost all the previous questions I was doing were using ##a=2\int _{ }^{ }f\left(x\right)dx## so I kind of got tunnel vision of only using that formula.

##a=\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{v^2}##
##v\cdot \frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{v^2}##
##v^3\cdot dv=\sqrt{x-1}\cdot dx##
##\int _{ }^{ }v^3dv=\int _{ }^{ }\sqrt{x-1}dx##
##\frac{v^4}{4}=\frac{2}{3}\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}+c##

"The body is initially at rest 1 meter North of the origin"
##x=1, v=0##
Therefore, ##c=0##

##\frac{v^4}{4}=\frac{2}{3}\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}##
##v=\left(\frac{8}{3}\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}##
##\frac{dx}{dt}=\left(\frac{8}{3}\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}##
##\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{1}{\left(\frac{8}{3}\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}}##
##t=\int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\left(\frac{8}{3}\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}}dx##
##t=\frac{4\cdot 6^{\frac{1}{4}}\left(x-1\right)}{5\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{3}{8}}}+c##

Initially the particle is 1 m from the origin: ##t=0, x=0##. Therefore, ##c=0##

##t=\frac{4\cdot 6^{\frac{1}{4}}\left(x-1\right)}{5\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{3}{8}}}##
##\frac{5t}{4\cdot 6^{\frac{1}{4}}}=\left(x-1\right)^{\frac{5}{8}}##

##x\left(t\right)=\left(\frac{5t}{4\cdot 6^{\frac{1}{4}}}\right)^{\frac{8}{5}}+1##

##v(t)=\frac{dx}{dt}=\left(\frac{5^{\frac{3}{5}}}{2^{\frac{3}{5}}\cdot 3^{\frac{2}{5}}}\right)t^{\frac{3}{5}}##

##a(t)=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{\left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{5}}}{5^{\frac{2}{5}}}t^{-\frac{2}{5}}##

Then to find the point in time when the magnitudes are equal we just solve ##x(t)=a(t)## which gave me ##t=0.291## (which was the answer in the book)

So this wasn't actually that difficult of a question once I actually started using the right formula haha.

Likes Charles Link
Very good ! :) :) ## \\ ## In my way of solving it, ultimately the solution is to let ## x=ct^n+1 ##. You then solve for ## n ## by setting the powers of ## t ## equal on both sides of the equation, and likewise for ## c ##.

Likes Bill_Nye_Fan

1. What is a force depending on velocity and displacement?

A force depending on velocity and displacement is a type of force that is directly proportional to both the velocity and displacement of an object. This means that as the velocity and displacement of an object increase, so does the force acting on it.

2. How is this force calculated?

This force is calculated using the equation F = m * v^2 / d, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and d is the displacement.

3. What is the relationship between velocity, displacement, and this force?

The relationship between velocity, displacement, and this force is that as the velocity and displacement increase, the force acting on the object also increases. This is because the greater the velocity and displacement, the greater the impact and resistance of the object, resulting in a larger force.

4. What are some real-life examples of this force?

Some real-life examples of this force include a car's brakes, which use this force to slow down and stop the car by applying friction and resistance to the wheels, and a rocket's propulsion system, which uses this force to accelerate the rocket by pushing against the gases expelled from its engines.

5. How does this force affect the motion of an object?

This force affects the motion of an object by either increasing or decreasing its speed and/or changing its direction of motion. For example, a greater force depending on velocity and displacement would result in a faster acceleration, while a smaller force would result in a slower acceleration or deceleration.