A wheel of fortune is divided into 10 parts, one of them brings the jackpot.

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts Wheel
In summary, the conversation discusses a player's investigation of the regularity of a wheel of fortune with a jackpot and the probabilities involved. The player calculates the probability of getting at least one main prize in 20 spins and how often they need to spin to have a 90% chance of winning. They also consider the possibility of misjudging the wheel and how to change the significance level. The conversation ends with a discussion on finding the $p$-value and how to change it.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

A wheel of fortune is divided into $10$ equal sized parts, of which one of them brings the jackpot.

• A player wants to investigate the regularity of the wheel of fortune. He turns the wheel 20 times. Calculate the probability that he will get at least one main prize if it is a laplace wheel.
  • How often does the player have to spin the wheel of fortune to get at least one main prize with a probability of at least 90%.
  • The player objects to the wheel when less than twice the jackpot appears at 20 times turn. Calculate the probability that the wheel will be misjudged.
  • What does the player have to change in his test so that the significant level is about $6\%$ ?

I have done the following:

• $$P(X\geq 1)=1-P(X\leq 1)=1-\sum_{i=0}^1\binom{10}{i}\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20}\cdot \left (1-\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20-i}$$

$$ $$
  • \begin{align*}P(X\geq k)\geq 90\% &\Rightarrow 1-P(X\leq k)=90\% \\ & \Rightarrow 1-\sum_{i=0}^k\binom{10}{i}\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20}\cdot \left (1-\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20-i}\geq 0.9 \\ & \Rightarrow \sum_{i=0}^k\binom{10}{i}\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20}\cdot \left (1-\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20-i}\leq 0.1\end{align*}

Is everything correct so far? (Wondering)

Could you give me a hint for the other two questions? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

A wheel of fortune is divided into $10$ equal sized parts, of which one of them brings the jackpot.

• A player wants to investigate the regularity of the wheel of fortune. He turns the wheel 20 times. Calculate the probability that he will get at least one main prize if it is a laplace wheel.
  • How often does the player have to spin the wheel of fortune to get at least one main prize with a probability of at least 90%.
  • The player objects to the wheel when less than twice the jackpot appears at 20 times turn. Calculate the probability that the wheel will be misjudged.
  • What does the player have to change in his test so that the significant level is about $6\%$ ?

I have done the following:
  • $$P(X\geq 1)=1-P(X\leq 1)=1-\sum_{i=0}^1\binom{10}{i}\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20}\cdot \left (1-\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20-i}$$

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

Shouldn't it be:
$$P(X\geq 1)=1-P(\text{NOT }(X\geq 1))=1-P(X<1)$$
(Wondering)
mathmari said:
  • \begin{align*}P(X\geq k)\geq 90\% &\Rightarrow 1-P(X\leq k)=90\% \\ & \Rightarrow 1-\sum_{i=0}^k\binom{10}{i}\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20}\cdot \left (1-\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20-i}\geq 0.9 \\ & \Rightarrow \sum_{i=0}^k\binom{10}{i}\left (\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20}\cdot \left (1-\frac{1}{10}\right )^{20-i}\leq 0.1\end{align*}

Is everything correct so far?

You are one off. (Sweating)

Next thing to do is calculate those chances for $i=0$, $i=1$, and so on until we reach a sum of $0.1$. (Thinking)

Or alternatively we can use a tool or table to find the inverse cumulative binomial distribution. (Nerd)

mathmari said:
Could you give me a hint for the other two questions?

Suppose the wheel really is a laplace wheel.
We will call this the null hypothesis ($H_0$).
Then we can calculate the probability that the player will object anyway, can't we?
That is, we can calculate $P(X \le 2\mid H_0)$, can't we? (Wondering)This probability that we misjudge even though the null hypothesis is true, is called the significance or $p$-value.
If just now we found that the probability to misjudge is more than $6\%$, what can we do to change that probability? (Wondering)

1. How is the wheel of fortune divided?

The wheel of fortune is divided into 10 equal parts, with one of the parts representing the jackpot.

2. What is the probability of landing on the jackpot?

The probability of landing on the jackpot is 1 out of 10, or 10%. This assumes that the wheel is evenly balanced and there are no external factors that could influence the outcome.

3. Can the wheel be manipulated to increase the chances of landing on the jackpot?

No, if the wheel is properly constructed and maintained, it should be completely random and cannot be manipulated to increase the chances of landing on the jackpot.

4. How does the jackpot amount compare to the other prizes on the wheel?

The jackpot amount is typically the highest prize on the wheel, as it is meant to be the most desirable and valuable prize.

5. Is the wheel of fortune a fair game?

As long as the wheel is properly constructed and maintained, and there are no external factors that could influence the outcome, the wheel of fortune can be considered a fair game. However, it is important to note that the odds of winning may vary depending on the specific game and rules in place.