ANSYS Workbench contact problem

In summary: No, this is not a true representation of the cover. The top and bottom of the cover are connected by a web of support plates.In summary, the upper layer of the lid has been "pushed through" the lower layer of the lid due to a load applied to the upper face of the lid. This can be prevented by structuring the element connections between the top and bottom layers as a short round cylinder rather than a disc.
Anders Johnsen
I'm currently working on my bachelor's thesis in mechanical engineering.

A part of my thesis is conducting a FEM-analysis on a sump for sewage.

I've applied a load on the upper face of the lid for the sump. As a result, the upper layer of the lid has been "pushed through" the lower layer of the lid.

How can this be prevented?
5D - trykket igjennom.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the diagram it is not possible to see how you have meshed the cover to represent a disc with thickness and interlacing elements between the upper and lower faces.

At the same time, are you sure that the top face is pushed through rather than compressed into the lower face and both faces stretched and deformed downward as seen in this diagram.

The configuration of the deflected disc would imply you have used a load that is concentrated in the center region of the cover. Is that correct?

The entire model was automeshed. I've also tried several different meshes.

Yes, I'm quite sure the top surface was pushed through. I've played around with several different contacts, but I can't seem to make the program understand that the top surface should "connect" to the bottom surface as loads are applied.

Yes, in this configuration, the load is a remote load applied to the center of the lid of the container. This is not a correct representation of the real load, but I decided to try to solve the contact problem first.

Any tips?

How much of the displayed center section is protruded through the bottom layer and are the stresses in the protruded region all below the elastic stress limit for your selected material strength?

Have you tried varying your load, plate thickness, and material strengths to see what effects those have on your results?

I've tried varying the loads, but as I'm trying to simulate a car running over, it limits the loads that can be applied.

I'm sure plate thickness and material strength would alter the results, bit I'm running simulations on a already designed product.

I don't have access to the results at this time, but I seem to recall that the stresses in the portruded region exceeded the linear-elastic yield limit of the material.

I've also tried to choose both the top of the top layer and the top of the bottom layer when applying the load, and this prevents any portrusion, but this won't be representative for the real load-situation.

I think my problem is in the connections bar, where I'm able to "connect" the elements through contacts, but whatever combination I try, I can't seem to get the results I want.

Sometimes the answer you want is just not the one that is correct considering that your analyses are showing that the existing plate is exceeding its specified yield strength.

By how much is it exceeding its specified yield strength. Published "min yield" values are generally the suppliers guaranteed minimum for a material and the actual average yield strength of that material can be up to 10% to 15% above the certified minimum value.

Is the top layer exceeding specified tensile strength as well?

Anders Johnsen said:
I can't seem to make the program understand that the top surface should "connect" to the bottom surface as loads are applied.

What type of geometry is being used for the element structures connecting the top and bottom layers this internal structure should transfer the load between the two surfaces regardless of the amount of applied loading. Have you structured this as a short round cylinder?

Just for my information, are you applying your load as a distributed load over a tire contact patch area?

As shown on the attached picture, the lid of the container is automeshed, but refined on the surfaces of the top and the bottom parts.

Yes, I'm planning to distribute the load over a contact patch, but this has not been done at this stage in the process.
lokk - pumpkum.png

I the above a true representation of your cover where the top and the bottom of the cover are separated by a space between them with no intermediate supporting web plates between them?

What is ANSYS Workbench contact problem?

ANSYS Workbench contact problem is a type of simulation software used for analyzing and solving mechanical engineering problems involving contact and impact between different components or bodies. It allows for accurate prediction of forces, stresses, and deformations in a contact scenario.

How does ANSYS Workbench handle contact between different bodies?

ANSYS Workbench uses the finite element method to model and solve contact problems. This method divides the geometry into smaller elements, and the software calculates the forces and stresses at each element interface. It also takes into account the material properties, boundary conditions, and contact behavior to accurately simulate the contact interactions.

What types of contact can be simulated using ANSYS Workbench?

ANSYS Workbench can simulate a wide range of contact scenarios, including frictional and frictionless contact, sliding and sticking contact, contact with or without separation, and contact between deformable and rigid bodies. It also allows for the modeling of complex contact behaviors, such as large deformations and nonlinear material properties.

What are the benefits of using ANSYS Workbench for contact problems?

ANSYS Workbench offers a user-friendly interface and powerful capabilities for solving contact problems. It allows for accurate and detailed analysis of contact interactions, which can help engineers optimize designs, reduce costs, and improve product performance. It also offers the ability to perform parametric studies and optimization to find the best design solution.

Can ANSYS Workbench handle large and complex contact problems?

Yes, ANSYS Workbench has the capability to handle large and complex contact problems. It can handle multiple contact interfaces, different contact behaviors, and large numbers of elements. It also offers parallel processing capabilities, which can significantly reduce the solution time for large and complex models.