Are you single, married, or do you have a gf/bf?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: I am content with my current situation.I'm content with my current situation.I'm single and content with it.In summary, being single sucks.

What is your status?

• Single

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • Married

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • GF/BF or significant other

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters
You know, I was just reading on PDD and Asberger's in particular, and it said that those with these "conditions" often have sleep problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Art said:
Did your mother never tell you not to play with matches :tongue:

Look, the only one I was responsible for was when I was three years old :tongue2: ! I wasn't aware that light bulbs give off enough heat to start a bed on fire :rofl: !

lisab said:
Look, the only one I was responsible for was when I was three years old :tongue2: ! I wasn't aware that light bulbs give off enough heat to start a bed on fire :rofl: !

With the number of things that I blew up as a child, I'm frankly surprised that the only damage I caused was some charring on the side of the church porch support pillar.
Poop-Loops' idea of neutralizing the LED is a good one, but I'd just put a piece of tape over it. While I don't know anything about electronics, I suspect that physically removing the LED could disrupt the internal workings enough to compromise the reliability of the device.

Yeah. I was just guessing the only thing the LED contributed was a voltage drop to the circuit, but it could really be anything.

lisab said:
Vashti, are you serious? I'm sorry to hear that!

yes, it's true...

Single. I'm not ugly or anything but girls just don't look at me:frown:

been with woman for about three years now. Longest relationship ever (for me). Miss being single occasionally.

I'm currently taken.

Pretty much always been (haven't really been single for a long time) since high-school.

Still wondering what to be...:confused::rolleyes:

Lisa! said:
Still wondering what to be...:confused::rolleyes:

Be happy.

Andre said:
Be happy.

Wow! Very good advice!:smile:
You know in fact I'm still thinking which way I'd be happier.

What about just dating?

I'm in a relationship although I don't call her my girlfriend.

I'm not a fan of how people always say "your girlfriend" after I say "I'm seeing someone" or "dating someone". Correcting them is annoying.

I'm single and clueless about women.

JasonRox said:
What about just dating?

I'm in a relationship although I don't call her my girlfriend.

I'm not a fan of how people always say "your girlfriend" after I say "I'm seeing someone" or "dating someone". Correcting them is annoying.

Jason, I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing you're in your 20s. Is this one of those "friends with benefits" kind of thing? Totally unheard of when I was young!

So how do you refer to her?

lisab said:
No, it blinks when it "sniffs". Seriously, it makes me nuts. I'm a very light sleeper; I'll wake up and watch for it to blink.

I think it's because...this is going to sound impossible...I've had four house fires in my life. So I'm rightfully freaked out about fire.

Evo, I have sleep problems, too! So frustrating!

That's why I've yanked out the smoke detector in my bedroom. The ones in my house all have green lights that blink...I couldn't sleep, because it's right over my head when I'm in bed (it's the only sensible place in the room you'd put the bed). I tried just taping paper over the light, but it would shine through or around and still irritate me, so I just yanked it out.

Moonbear said:
That's why I've yanked out the smoke detector in my bedroom. The ones in my house all have green lights that blink...I couldn't sleep, because it's right over my head when I'm in bed (it's the only sensible place in the room you'd put the bed). I tried just taping paper over the light, but it would shine through or around and still irritate me, so I just yanked it out.

I think I'll try putting something over the light next time I'm up on a ladder to change the batteries (my ceilings are fairly high). But I'm too freaked about fire to remove it. I wish I could move it, but it's hard-wired, with a battery back up.

gravenewworld said:
Ehhhhh so far from the poll if you combine GF/BF+married it is pretty much equal to all the single people. So half of us are in some sort of a relationship and the other half aren't.
Considering how young the average age of a PFer is (even if Evo skews the stats :biggrin:), it's not that surprising so many are still single.

Married people live longer. Yeah solitude can be good for a while, but loneliness is something totally different and takes it toll over time.

Actually, married MEN live longer. For women, they live longer if they're single and own a cat...or something like that. Apparently husbands are bad for our health.

lisab said:
I think I'll try putting something over the light next time I'm up on a ladder to change the batteries (my ceilings are fairly high). But I'm too freaked about fire to remove it. I wish I could move it, but it's hard-wired, with a battery back up.

There are so many smoke detectors in my house, yanking out most of them still leaves adequate coverage of rooms (the builder must be completely paranoid). I don't know why the hard-wired ones have to blink like that. Even a steady light to indicate it was on would be preferable to a blinking light.

My wife and I just celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary. All those years of infighting and power plays have kept us together.

Either that or neither of us was willing to give up half of everything.:approve:

edward said:
My wife and I just celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary. .:approve:
Congrats on the 44 yrs, Edward!

I've been dating the same woman for over 27 years. I've been married (officially that is) to her for nearly 26 years.

Google_Spider said:
Single. I'm not ugly or anything but girls just don't look at me:frown:
The mate market is like the job market; if you're expecting to just trip and land on one you'll be waiting a long time. You've got make opportunities. Market yourself strongly, so that when an opportunity does open up, you're in the right place at the right time.

DaveC426913 said:
The mate market is like the job market; if you're expecting to just trip and land on one you'll be waiting a long time. You've got make opportunities. Market yourself strongly, so that when an opportunity does open up, you're in the right place at the right time.
Good advice about the meet market. That's what my wife did, and it worked like a charm.

DaveC426913 said:

Interesting. Is that the norm? I stumbled upon love when I wasn't looking for it at all.

Laura1013 said:
Interesting. Is that the norm? I stumbled upon love when I wasn't looking for it at all.

After many years of just keeping my focus on school and work, work and school - all work and no play - I said to myself, I think I'll start dating again. I met my future husband almost immediately after that. Just dumb luck, I guess.

Laura1013 said:

Well I can attest that "don't look for it, it will just happen" just plain doesn't work.

Poop-Loops said:
Well I can attest that "don't look for it, it will just happen" just plain doesn't work.

No, you're right. I'd like to say like anything else if you don't put the effort in it isn't going to be easy. Sure star crossed lovers meet eyes across a crowded room by fate, leading to true love. But this isn't Shakespeare. This is real life. :smile:

If you met by happen stance, then good for you but I think it's like anything else: putting yourself in the right place at the right time counts for a lot too.

Last edited:
Poop-Loops said:
I'm sure you could train a woman to catch Frisbees. I mean, I've seen a few who were trained to actually speak in English. That couldn't have been easy. So catching frisbees shouldn't be too hard. Plus, they don't shed as much hair as a dog.

Aherm. Someone has clearly never worn a long, staticy (staticky? static-y?) skirt to an all-girls/women school. They don't shed as much hair my foot!

I guess it would depend on the breed you buy.

Laura1013 said:
Well, you're a woman, so some man managed to get in front of your face in the right place at the right time. How does it feel to be the target audience? :rofl:

When is anyone really NOT looking other than when they've already found someone? Sure, there are times one tries harder to meet more people, but has anyone ever asked someone else out and gotten the answer, "Oh, sorry, thanks but no thanks, I'm happily single and prefer staying home alone."

Of course, the whole "I found love when I wasn't expecting it" part is pretty much a given, isn't it? Again, how often does someone head out at night saying, "I'm going to find my true love tonight" and have it happen? I'm pretty sure the usual goal is just to meet some new people and see if anything happens while bracing oneself for the more likely scenario that the man/woman of your dreams decided to stay home and watch DVDs that night, or was in the bar next door to the one you were frequenting.

mbrmbrg said:
Aherm. Someone has clearly never worn a long, staticy (staticky? static-y?) skirt to an all-girls/women school. They don't shed as much hair my foot!

:rofl: Based on how often I clean the shower drain in spring and fall and the pretty balanced ratio of hair to fur in the vacuum cleaner, I do wonder whether it's me or the cat that sheds most during shedding season. But, hey, that's how we mark our territory! While a guy might pick up a few stray hairs on the cuffs of his pants or the outside of his jacket, there better not be any that don't match your own on the inside of his pants. :biggrin:

I'm 16 and don't have a GF but I'm not looking for one at all. I'm not looking for any type of relationship right now. I have way too many more important priorities. Probably once I land into an internship at a good firm that I'll be working for in my senior year of college, I'll start looking, lol.

Moonbear said:
When is anyone really NOT looking other than when they've already found someone? Sure, there are times one tries harder to meet more people, but has anyone ever asked someone else out and gotten the answer, "Oh, sorry, thanks but no thanks, I'm happily single and prefer staying home alone."

Last year when my mom hurt her back, I was the one who took her to the physical therapist regularly.

One of the assistants there apparently had the hots for me (don't ask me why, I still can't figure it out). I kind of noticed it (I tend to be completely oblivious to my surroundings), but then when my dad took my mom one day, she said the girl asked for me. My response? Cringe. The girl was cute, and off the bat there was nothing wrong with her. But I just didn't want to go out with her, or really anybody. Don't know why.

Married 20 years this coming June. Since we're both academics, we often happen to be on the road at anniversary time. Once it was in Leningrad, before it got renamed back to St. Petersburg. Once it was in Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania. :eek: This year it may be somewhere in Colorado, on our way home from Arizona.

Probably our "worst" anniversary was our tenth, the day after I got hit by a pickup truck while bicycling and broke my collarbone, pelvis and ankle. :frown:

Married 14 years this fall. One wife, two daughters and one very small female chihuahua.
I am so outnumbered.