Are you single, married, or do you have a gf/bf?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: I am content with my current situation.I'm content with my current situation.I'm single and content with it.In summary, being single sucks.

What is your status?

• Single

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • Married

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • GF/BF or significant other

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters
Cyrus said:
The thing was, when I first met her she didnt have a tank top. Had I seen her skin before hand I would not have ever agreed to go out with her. (And various other personality traits).
Dont get me wrong, she's a nice person. But I just can't bring myself to date her.

Those sound like very very minor issues to deal with at any time---once the skin checks out to be OK

Physics news on Phys.org
rewebster said:
Those sound like very very minor issues to deal with at any time---once the skin checks out to be OK

I don't follow?

I say if she had been right for him, he would not even have thought about her skin.

Evo said:
That is so awesome Monique. I think after 4 years together, you're not really single, that's a pretty commited relationship. :smile:

:smile: definately, I'm very proud to stand next to him.

Cyrus said:
Single. I met this girl who was nice a while ago and we went on a few dates. She was nice...eh-ish, but on one date she had a tank top on and I have a thing about girls skin. It has to be perfect. She was also dressed pretty crappy, and I expect a girl to dress nice when I'm around her. I dress nice, so can she. Period, no excuses. When I picked her up I even told her she looked like crap. That was a miserable day...:mad: She had some blemishes on her back, among other things I did not like about her in terms or personality. So I just ignored her calls after that. Its super important to me that a girl has really, really good skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdT7Vpc0uho&feature=related :biggrin:

Hahahaha Joe dirt...

Cyrus said:
Im also very independent. I don't like people bothering me. She would text me every day or call me... I mean get a life. Call me once a week when you want to get togther over the weekend or something. I'm studying or reading
or hanging out on a Physics Forum...

Man, if she knew what you were really up to when you didn't want to be interrupted, she'd tear you a new one...:biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
or hanging out on a Physics Forum...

Man, if she knew what you were really up to when you didn't want to be interrupted, she'd tear you a new one...:biggrin:

I honestly cannot understand why someone would want to hang out with their bf/gf every damn day. Just try hanging out with your best friend every day. After about a week you get tired of being around them all day and you have nothing to talk about. I hate people that latch on because they don't have a life of their own or their own personal interests\hobbies. Meet up once or twice a week and have a nice evening together and talk about what you did. Its really simple. In between, leave me alone.

Its like people on their cell phones 24-7. What the hell are you talking about that you need to be on there ALL DAY LONG? Go get a life!

Cyrus said:
I honestly cannot understand why someone would want to hang out with their bf/gf every damn day. Just try hanging out with your best friend every day. After about a week you get tired of being around them all day and you have nothing to talk about. I hate people that latch on because they don't have a life of their own or their own personal interests\hobbies. Meet up once or twice a week and have a nice evening together and talk about what you did. Its really simple. In between, leave me alone.

Is that how a typical engineer would think?

I also talk to the point. I cannot hang out with anyone for more than 1 hours! I usually finish up in 10 minutes. I have a good friend (personal - not academic friend) who meet me twice a year and I mostly summarize my 6 months life in 10 minutes, and I would listen to her for remaining 50 minutes.

Cyrus said:
I honestly cannot understand why someone would want to hang out with their bf/gf every damn day.

haha, you've got to be in love for that.

Cyrus said:
I honestly cannot understand why someone would want to hang out with their bf/gf every damn day. Just try hanging out with your best friend every day.
Same here. Even I've been driving myself crazy for all those years, although less than the others. Others are either too intelligent or too stupid. If only I were not that boring, I'd be exactly as intelligent as one should be.

edit
replace intelligent/stupid by any antonyms at will

Evo said:
You mean one break out and she's history?

That's what I was thinking. Geez...she's all excited about going out on a date, gets that inevitable zit, and dumped like yesterday's fish! Cyrus, have you never had a zit, never broken out just before a date? It's pretty common for women to break out, especially one week a month. If you're so picky, warn them not to go out on a date with you if they're premenstrual.

rootX said:
Is that how a typical engineer would think?

I also talk to the point. I cannot hang out with anyone for more than 1 hours! I usually finish up in 10 minutes. I have a good friend (personal - not academic friend) who meet me twice a year and I mostly summarize my 6 months life in 10 minutes, and I would listen to her for remaining 50 minutes.

No, because my friend is not an engineer. But when we hang out too much we say...sooooo...lets do this. Oh wait, we already did that...hmmmmm how about we do that...nah we did that the other day. Hmmmmmm how about this? Nah, I don't want to do that. Screw it let's just go home and watch tv.

You simply can't spend that much time with another person before you get tired of them. Now that were both busy when we catch up its great. We have fun, we relax. We enjoy each others and our other friends company more. Most work all week so can only meet up once a week.

I don't want some needy girl calling me up every day or sending me text messages with little to no point to them.

Cyrus said:

Its like people on their cell phones 24-7. What the hell are you talking about that you need to be on there ALL DAY LONG? Go get a life!

There's a difference between "latching on because you don't have a life..." and wanting to spend a lot of time together. I only see my boyfriend rarely, because we live in different states, but when we do visit, we can easily spend a week in each other's constant company (okay, the longest we've gone was 5 days while trapped together in a town with nothing else to do but stare at each other in a hotel room while waiting for one of his clients to come to their senses...there's a really long story with that that I won't bore you with...but we decided if we could survive that, we could survive anything together). Every other boyfriend I've had has driven me bonkers after one or two days together, which is how I knew they weren't keepers, no matter how nice they might be as friends.

Moonbear said:
That's what I was thinking. Geez...she's all excited about going out on a date, gets that inevitable zit, and dumped like yesterday's fish! Cyrus, have you never had a zit, never broken out just before a date? It's pretty common for women to break out, especially one week a month. If you're so picky, warn them not to go out on a date with you if they're premenstrual.

Im not talking about a zit. I mean things that are permanent like major blemishes in the skin or moles\birth marks\ freckles. That stuff I can't stand. I am talking about nice skin on her legs and back.

Lots of girls are wearing those summer dresses now that show off a lot of back skin. Its really nice to see girls with great skin on their back, legs, arms with a nice tan. They keep themselves looking nice.

Cyrus said:
Im not talking about a zit. I mean things that are permanent like major blemishes in the skin or moles\birth marks\ freckles. That stuff I can't stand. I am talking about nice skin on her legs and back.

You consider freckles to be blemishes? And moles are major blemishes? They can be removed if they are of concern. I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't have at least one mole somewhere. Birth marks kind of depend on the size, some can be tiny, others disfiguring. Are you sure you really are even interested in meeting women? You've set your standards so ridiculously high, I think you've eliminated pretty much all of them right there, unless they're a daughter of a plastic surgeon.

Moonbear said:
You consider freckles to be blemishes? And moles are major blemishes? They can be removed if they are of concern. I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't have at least one mole somewhere. Birth marks kind of depend on the size, some can be tiny, others disfiguring. Are you sure you really are even interested in meeting women? You've set your standards so ridiculously high, I think you've eliminated pretty much all of them right there, unless they're a daughter of a plastic surgeon.

There are a lot of girls that have really really nice skin all around town here. Good height, nice tan skin, long legs, nice back. I see them every day, they walk around campus in nice dresses.

When I told her she looked like crap we were going to go out for lunch. When I picked her up she looked like she just woke up from bed. I was like...are you serious. She laughed nervously and said "well, at least your honest". I was like...yeah....? If I am taking you out for lunch, at least make some effort to look nice or don't waste my time.

Astronuc said:
Congrats on the 44 yrs, Edward!

I've been dating the same woman for over 27 years. I've been married (officially that is) to her for nearly 26 years.

Had to kiss a lot of frogs before finding one who acted like a prince. Since I am a frog too, I had to stay with my kind, but now not only do I get to hop about with a pal who is the same shade green as I but he is princely and I get a teacher along with the package.
Wish I could say we were lucky to have so many years together, but we have been married 20 less this lifetime. Hope I get to keep him next time around.
Most important thing I have learned in my long frog years is that in a relationship, one has to WANT to give all, (within reason) and listen.
After dropping the last of my creepy standards, I desire only to know kindness and gentleness in the family.
Sometimes it actually happens. What a gift.

Cyrus said:
There are a lot of girls that have really really nice skin all around town here. Good height, nice tan skin, long legs, nice back. I see them every day, they walk around campus in nice dresses.

When I told her she looked like crap we were going to go out for lunch. When I picked her up she looked like she just woke up from bed. I was like...are you serious. She laughed nervously and said "well, at least your honest". I was like...yeah....? If I am taking you out for lunch, at least make some effort to look nice or don't waste my time.

wait! what you going to do when you get old (assuming that you would be married)?!
You got to have some better criteria.

Currently, I prefer anyone who is loyal, faithful, trustworthy, and honest.

rootX said:
wait! what you going to do when you get old (assuming that you would be married)?!
You got to have some better criteria.

Currently, I prefer anyone who is loyal, faithful, trustworthy, and honest.

What do you mean 'some better criteria'. I take care of myself, I exercise and eat healthy. I don't smoke or do drugs. What I'm getting at is that I WONT marry someone who does not have these lifestyle traits. If they suddenly decide not to care and let themselves go, I'd probably divorce her.

Thats as if I got married and suddenly became a chain smoker/ boozer. That isn't going to fly with her. Why should her becoming a slob fly with me?

Cyrus,

After reading several of your posts in this thread, it seems to me the the perfect girl for you cannot exist in the real world. Nobody is perfect, though you seem to require just that.

it was starting to make me think of that movie 'Shallow Hal'

Holocene said:
Cyrus,

After reading several of your posts in this thread, it seems to me the the perfect girl for you cannot exist in the real world. Nobody is perfect, though you seem to require just that.

So, let's recap.

-A girl that has nice skin and is brunette.
-Maintains herself and takes care of herself healthwise
-puts in some effort when I take her out.
-Has personal interests and hobbies, i.e. motivated about something in their lives (A life outside their significant other, in other words)

Man, I am asking too much!

All my close friends have these traits. They are winners. I expect no less from someone that I would date seriously.

I don't like people that are lazy, and its not going to fly.

Cyrus said:
So, let's recap.

-A girl that has nice skin and is brunette.
-Maintains herself and takes care of herself healthwise
-puts in some effort when I take her out.
-Has personal interests and hobbies, i.e. motivated about something in their lives (A life outside their significant other, in other words)

Man, I am asking too much!

All my close friends have these traits. They are winners. I expect no less from someone that I would date seriously.

I don't like people that are lazy, and its not going to fly.

Uh..when you think that freckles are blemishs and apparently a deal breaker that's pretty ****ing shallow dude. That and moles have nothing what so ever to do with having 'nice skin' and being healthy. It makes me wonder just what this young lady you've referred to looked like that you thought she was a slob.
If that's your thing that's your thing but you can't blame anyone for thinking that's shallow and much too far into the realm of fantasy. Most of th women I've met have freckles or some sort of 'blemish' somewhere on them. And what are you going to do if she starts to go gray or starts to get wrinkles? Everyone does and not just from not taking care of themselves. There was a gorgeous woman who used to be a bikini model that came into my work back when. Because of all the work she put in on that tan skin you seem to love so much she was heavily wrinkled all over and probably only around 40.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Uh..when you think that freckles are blemishs and apparently a deal breaker that's pretty ****ing shallow dude. That and moles have nothing what so ever to do with having 'nice skin' and being healthy. It makes me wonder just what this young lady you've referred to looked like that you thought she was a slob.
If that's your thing that's your thing but you can't blame anyone for thinking that's shallow and much too far into the realm of fantasy. Most of th women I've met have freckles or some sort of 'blemish' somewhere on them. And what are you going to do if she starts to go gray or starts to get wrinkles? Everyone does and not just from not taking care of themselves. There was a gorgeous woman who used to be a bikini model that came into my work back when. Because of all the work she put in on that tan skin you seem to love so much she was heavily wrinkled all over and probably only around 40.

I don't like freckles. This is my personal preference. Dont ask me why, I just dont. We all have things we are picky about. I am picky about a girls skin. Some people care about height, or weight, or various other factors.

Exactly what is 'shallow' about having a prefernce? Shallow would not be nice to her because she had freckles. Not going out with her is my own choice, and I am not going to give you guys some PC answer because you don't like my preference. Tough nuts to you.

And what are you going to do if she starts to go gray or starts to get wrinkles?

I have no problems with that. I perfer women that don't wear tons of makeup anyways. I like natural beauty in a person.

Also, I never said someone that's glowing orange in tan constantly. Just a nice complexion. I.e. no pasty white girls that look like raw chicken from the super market. Thats why I don't like red-heads.

Cyrus said:
Single. I met this girl who was nice a while ago and we went on a few dates. She was nice...eh-ish, but on one date she had a tank top on and I have a thing about girls skin. It has to be perfect. She was also dressed pretty crappy, and I expect a girl to dress nice when I'm around her. I dress nice, so can she. Period, no excuses. When I picked her up I even told her she looked like crap. That was a miserable day...:mad: She had some blemishes on her back, among other things I did not like about her in terms or personality. So I just ignored her calls after that. Its super important to me that a girl has really, really good skin.

cough Control freak cough

binzing said:
cough Control freak cough

You'll have to explain that one buddy.

old saying--"Beauty is only skin deep"---

and a song:

Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
The Temptations

So in love, sad as could be
'Cause a pretty face got the best of me.
Suddenly, you came into my life
And gave it meaning and pure delight.
Now, good looks, I've learned to do without.
'Cause now I know it's love that really counts.

'Cause I know that...
(Beauty's only skin deep, yeah, yeah, yeah.)
I know that...
Beauty's only skin deep, yes indeed.

Now you speak your words warm and sincere.
And let's me know that your love is near.
A pretty face you may not possess
But what I like about you is your tenderness.
A pretty face maybe some guys taste
But I'll take lovin' in it's place.

'Cause I know that...
And you know that...
Beauty's only skin deep, oh baby, oh yeah.
(Oh yeah, Oh yeah)

Ooo
(Beauty's only skin deep, oh yeah.)
Yes it is.

My friends ask, what do I see in you
But it goes deeper than the eye can view.
You have a pleasin' personality
And that's an ever lovin' rare quality.
Now show me a girl, a girl that's fine
And I'll choose the one with true lovin' every time.

I know that...
(Beauty's only skin deep, yeah, yeah, yeah)
And I believe that...
Beau- know that beauty's only skin deep.

So if you're lookin' for a lover. (Oh yeah)
Don't judge a book by it's cover. (Oh yeah)
She may be fine on the outside (Oh yeah)
But so untrue on the inside. (Oh yeah)
Ooo

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/22/messages/176.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
I honestly cannot understand why someone would want to hang out with their bf/gf every damn day. Just try hanging out with your best friend every day. After about a week you get tired of being around them all day and you have nothing to talk about.
Do you realize that people actually marry one another? Do you realize that these people commit to one another and dedicate their lives to one another without running back home to mommy and daddy at the end of every day? Not everyone is brought up in an insular familiar cocoon such that they can rely on their parents for years instead of making personal choices based on the surety of parental support. If you are going to achieve happiness with a young woman who considers herself your equal, you have to actually consider her your equal and not pretend.

Cyrus said:
You'll have to explain that one buddy.

No tattoos
No smoking
Skin must be perfect
Clothing must be fairly quality
Etc...

Let's see, modern science has basically mastered boob jobs, now we just need to work on sex change and human cloning, then we'll get you a clone of yourself and get its sex changed!

turbo-1 said:
Do you realize that people actually marry one another? Do you realize that these people commit to one another and dedicate their lives to one another without running back home to mommy and daddy at the end of every day? Not everyone is brought up in an insular familiar cocoon such that they can rely on their parents for years instead of making personal choices based on the surety of parental support. If you are going to achieve happiness with a young woman who considers herself your equal, you have to actually consider her your equal and not pretend.
I do not think that will ring a bell in Cyrus. My gf and I have an additional room in cases I have to work late (like say 2, 3, or 4am) and go back home without having to wake her up. It is important to maintain each other private moments. If I want to spend one week studying something I must be able to. Some married couples with kids sometimes have separate apartments, admittedly better close to each other. Everybody has its own balance. At the extreme opposite, I have a friend of mine who cannot stand spending one day without his gf. That is what I call control freak. If she spend one evening out on her own he goes crazy. That's not love, that's dependence.

This thread is diverging, why can't you respect his decision and judge him based on the little he reported here, or even is aware of. Once again, as in the song, feelings only count. You can find rational explanations for your feelings, but I wonder : how does it matter ?

binzing said:
No tattoos
No smoking
Skin must be perfect
Clothing must be fairly quality
Etc...

Let's see, modern science has basically mastered boob jobs, now we just need to work on sex change and human cloning, then we'll get you a clone of yourself and get its sex changed!

Exactly how is that 'controlling' binzing. In what way did I 'control' her. I said these are the kinds of things I want in her. Not smoking and dressing presentable when someone TAKES you out somewhere is a PERSONALITY trait.

If you can't take five mins to look nice when I pick you up, you're an f'in slob.

turbo-1 said:
I have to say I agree with Cyrus on the not wanting to be around someone everyday. I need distance and time for myself. Even when I was married, I had my own room to do the things I wanted and not be bothered by my husband. I can't imagine being joined at the hip to someone, I would feel suffocated. I had a life before I met them, I still have a life after marriage. To each their own, if you like being together with someone all of the time, that's really lovely, but it's not for everyone.

Cyrus, I also can't stand freckles. But although I am a brunette, I am pale as a ghost, I could never even tan when I was younger, I would joke that the sun bleached my skin. I would burn, peel, then be white again.

turbo-1 said:

'Running back home to mommy and daddy?' -are we just making bs up for the fun of it?

I don't think you understood a word I wrote. I guess I should just take whatever comes my way, right? I should throw my standards out the window, to make you happy and settle for someone that has personality differences from me.

Hey she smokes. Thats A-O-KAY! She can't even be presentable when I pick her up to take her out. She's a keeper!

Last edited: