Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

its not bad for AE, its bad in engineering period. go to mac. go to UT, go to UW, anything but ryerson! :(

(waterloo's co-op should be heavily considered)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Physics Forums. This is a tad long, but I hope you help me out; I've been thinking of this post for a while now.

Let me tell you my dream. I am obsessed with space, especially Mars. I literally think about space and Mars all day long. I want to help design and build the spacecraft and habitat that will eventually take us to Mars. I want to know the craft from the inside-out and be able to fix whatever may go wrong with said ship and eventually habitat on the surface of Mars

At first I thought I'd go for a BS in Physics then try and go for an MS in Aerospace Engineering. But as I read more and more threads on engineering and physics degrees, it looks like Mechanical Engineering would be a better jump off point for an aerospace degree.

Now here is my dilemma: I've been in school for three years now, currently taking a semester off to figure out exactly how to finish my education. I've only taken core credits, and have never taken a calculus or physics class. Math always came pretty naturally to me, I earned A's in college algebra and trig at my university. So it looks like I would pretty much start over and have to take three to four more years of school (I'm done with all of my school's core curriculum so those years would be a purely engineering and math curriculum). The three years more schooling for a BS doesn't bother me, just the amount of loans I would need to take out does. My parents are cutting me off after my fourth year of college.

I have three questions:
1) Would the amount of loans I would need to take out be typical and possible to pay off?
2) Would this degree plan (BS in Mechanical to MS in Aerospace) as well as extensive work experience would set me up to be a "crack mechanic" as experts put it when selecting a crew for a trip to the moon or Mars.
3) Is my situation at all normal or at least feasible to accomplish?

Some final notes:
Should I ease into this and do Calculus I this Spring then Calculus II and Physics I in the Summer?
I go to school at Colorado State, and hope to eventually go to University of Colorado for aerospace. Fortunately Lockheed Martin isn't too far from CU so I could maybe get an entry-level job or internship there while I complete an MS.

I apologize if this is rambling, I have so much more to write. But I'll gladly answer any questions to help you answer my questions.

Thanks Physics Forums!

Last edited:

I live in Montreal, Canada, and I have to apply to Universities soon. After asking every person I know about engineering, I've finally decided to try Computer Engineering.

The university I'm thinking of is called McGill and is located in the island of Montreal. McGill is very famous for Medicine and Law, but I don't think it's that good for engineering. However, I've heard it's way more serious than the other English university in Montreal (Concordia). I've also heard that some French universities are pretty good, but I don't want to study in French... Not exactly my strong point...

What should I do? From what I've read here, the university of Waterloo seems really good. I can't leave the province though...

I'm not entirely great at mathematics. I love math, I understand it, but I'm slow at it.
It's hard to describe. Currently I'm still finishing High School and I'm in my senior year, however, despite my success (like getting a 4 on the Physics AP exam) and keeping my grades up, I'm totally slow at computations and problem solving. I basically got a very low score of 560 mostly because I hardly finished any of the problems.

I enjoy understanding things and learning plus I'm great with computers (programming, C++, etc).

So, I'm sort of slow at mathematics but I think I have the potential to do well.
Would that give me any problems on my way to being a good engineer?

Last edited:

I want to do electrical/computer engineering but I also want to do some business maybe a minor in business because I heard that if you have some knowledge of business concepts then you can advance easier into an upper-level engineering job. Do you think I should major in Electrical/Computer Engineering and minor in Business or do the Engineering Route to Business (ERB) program at UT Austin? I am most likely going to attend the University of Texas Austin next fall. I'm scared that I won't get any job offers if I do the ERB program because I won't have a degree in electrical/computer engineering as the ERB program awards the Bachelor of Business Administration degree. Any advice? Thanks

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but wondering can Mechanical Engineering be broad enough to work for a toy company?

whypickthree said:
Some final notes:
Should I ease into this and do Calculus I this Spring then Calculus II and Physics I in the Summer?
I go to school at Colorado State, and hope to eventually go to University of Colorado for aerospace. Fortunately Lockheed Martin isn't too far from CU so I could maybe get an entry-level job or internship there while I complete an MS.

Calculus II is a challenging course, even people that do well in calculus I have problems with it. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I would not recommend taking calc 2 and physics in the same summer session. I'm currently a second year engineering student taking 17 credit hours, calc 2 takes as much time as the rest of my classes combined.

n00bsauce said:
Calculus II is a challenging course, even people that do well in calculus I have problems with it. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I would not recommend taking calc 2 and physics in the same summer session. I'm currently a second year engineering student taking 17 credit hours, calc 2 takes as much time as the rest of my classes combined.

I didn't view calculus II all that challenging besides it just introducing new ways to use the information you learned in calculus I and previous courses. I think it's calculus III which is when things start to be challenging, mostly just because of the amount of material that is required to be remembered.

The only downfall with any summer classes is that they'll be a large chunk of your life throughout the 5 or 8 weeks, or however long you college offers. You'll have to constantly do homework to keep up and never, or hardly, skip at all. I most defiantly think it's very possible to do both physics and calc II in the summer, but just be prepared for your schedule to revolve around your school life.

Including my summer semester I've now been in school for 2 years straight, and I have to take another summer semester again because of a lack of classes. 3 years straight, ugh.

How are job prospects in industry for physics phds relative to engineering phds? Are they about the same at this level?

The problem I'm having is deciding on whether to do a pure science (probably physics or chemistry; mathematics might be too pure even though i love it) or engineering. I'm currently finishing up my fall semester of freshman year... I love physics and math the most, and also have a strong liking for chemistry though not as strong as math and physics. I'm just not sure if I'd enjoy what I'd be able to do with, say, a Ph.D. in physics vs. what I could do with something like an MS in some engineering. My school seems like it's pressuring us very much to decide on a major as early as possible and I'm just left here scratching my head.

How did all of you decide which way to go?

Then I guess there's the problem of deciding exactly which field to go into (aerospace vs. electrical vs. chemical vs. computer etc.) but that can come later I suppose.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm a 2nd year student in physics at McMaster University, hamIlton, Ontario, Canada. I was always strong in Physics and Chemistry, but my Math was lacking. It deffinatley takes a lot of hard work to do physics and engineering, as I found out the hard way.

Firstly you must ask yourself, science or engineering. If you need to see something real, like a product of some sort, then engineering is for you. If you like the more theoretival pprach, and like to ask big questions, then science would be a better choice. Do be honest I'm in that boat right now. Thinking of switching to engineering but not sure, plus I like aerospace, but its not a very common degree in Canada.

Next, its choose yur discipline time. This is totally what your preference is. Only you can make that descision. I suggest researching all of them, because soem are not what they seem. eg. chemical engineering is not chemistry, quite different, aerospace is not astronomy and materials is one of the more science based disciplines and has more chemistry then chem eng. Also its like a field such as automotive, microdevices or chemical production, its more like materials for other enginers, so it has a hand in all industries, but its mor production and processes rather than working specifically in the aerospace industry, for example. You make materials for aeospace , automotive, biomdiacl enginerrs etc.

As for schools, MIT Caltech, Berkely, Georgia Tech, Stanford, U of Michigan, are all top quality engineerign schools. There is also UCLA, Texas A&M too. In Canada Queens, Toronto, Waterloo and McMaster are as good as it gets, in Ontario, but I don't know much about the rest of Canada.

I'm in an engineering and science double degree and I'm actually thinking of dropping the engineering side. I've only taken very basic chem eng units and feel that they're too easy and unchallenging in the intellectual sense (too much plugging of values into formulae and other very structured stuff). I know it won't be same in later years but I'm not sure if I can spend years studying something I like but don't feel passionate about. So I'm thinking of switching to just science (pure maths and physics).

So I'm in pretty much the opposite position. How do I know if I will come to love engineering?

mbisCool said:
How are job prospects in industry for physics phds relative to engineering phds? Are they about the same at this level?

it depends entirely on your specialty and skills. You will probably not get an industry job that is exactly related to your phD topic, but you may get a job because of the skillset or tools you used to get your PhD .

at the phd level there are relatively few jobs to begin with, regardless of your field.

most jobs in industry do not require a phd, nor does it help you to have one. unless you are in R&D.

Do you think somebody who is average at maths and physics can do engineering?

In my maths and physics class I'm an average student in both subjects. I enjoy maths and physics and I aim to study an engineering course. I don't know if it is possible because engineering is a difficult course.

I'm interested in mechanical engineering, but I'm afraid of ending up as a CAD jockey. How much mechanical engineering is hands on work? If I were to, for example, get a job doing jet turbine research & development, would I be working with the engine hands on? Or is it all CAD and computer simulations?

Hello,

This is my first post.I read many posts on this thread.I am an electronics engineer student at a technical institute. After years of attending classes i realize that all engineering disciplines are strenuous and demanding.

When i get in a class i feel stupid,because i barely understand the lectures due to lack of sleep or other factors, i take notes and get back home to start the painful,time-consuming research to find relative material to study.I don't know how or if people manage to remember maths(calculus,algebra etc) after 3+ years they have completed their math modules,for me it is impossible to remember all of that stuff(too many formulas and details...).

Here is the critical question:you study maths,pass them all,after a few years,fatefully,you start to forget...what do you do then?!Eventually,as an engineer you are doomed to study lots of books and revise a lot,for life!Thus, think twice before enrolling in an engineer degree,because post-graduate study is endless and if you don't keep up HARD(studying)somebody else will do it and you will be soon out of job!

Does it worth struggling for an engineer degree plus the endless post-graduate studying while you can find ,a non-cubicle, decent job?A decent job which will allow you to enjoy different aspects of life apart from studying?I don't know.However,You can be an athlete(good athletes are multi-millionaires before the age of 23,some are married),a celebrity,an actor,a bus driver or whatever and leave a HAPPY life.They do not hold university degrees.

My point is,nobody will give you back your lost youth, it is not worth struggling to get a university degree and regret it later because it did not pay off,see universities as companies:they do not really care if you succeed,you pay for your education so as to graduate and work as a<<slave>> 8+ hours daily for industries in addition to post-graduate endless studying.I believe industries should always pay your education,not you,they have extravagant demands,let them pay for!

Time never reverts,second chance is a bit of a utopia.That hurts the most,even me...

Last edited:

I guess that's the problem with maths for the sake of engineering. If you love maths to bits, not a single hour of doing maths will be considered work. You'll remember every formula, every theorem without trying.

Likewise with engineering. People who study engineering not because they love engineering will have unfulfiling lives. That simple.

Athletes train for hours every day until they are sore to the bone. A celebrity slogs through years of work as a mere extra, going for hundreds of failed auditions. A businessman works for years in the field they wish to do business in. They have to perfect it before starting out on their own. Some of them go bankrupt multiple times before turning millionaire. There's no way to avoid hard work. But it's not work and your youth is not wasted if you enjoy it.

mynick said:
Hello,

This is my first post.I read many posts on this thread.I am an electronics engineer student at a technical institute. After years of attending classes i realize that all engineering disciplines are strenuous and demanding.

When i get in a class i feel stupid,because i barely understand the lectures due to lack of sleep or other factors, i take notes and get back home to start the painful,time-consuming research to find relative material to study.I don't know how or if people manage to remember maths(calculus,algebra etc) after 3+ years they have completed their math modules,for me it is impossible to remember all of that stuff(too many formulas and details...).

Here is the critical question:you study maths,pass them all,after a few years,fatefully,you start to forget...what do you do then?!Eventually,as an engineer you are doomed to study lots of books and revise a lot,for life!Thus, think twice before enrolling in an engineer degree,because post-graduate study is endless and if you don't keep up HARD(studying)somebody else will do it and you will be soon out of job!

Does it worth struggling for an engineer degree plus the endless post-graduate studying while you can find ,a non-cubicle, decent job?A decent job which will allow you to enjoy different aspects of life apart from studying?I don't know.However,You can be an athlete(good athletes are multi-millionaires before the age of 23,some are married),a celebrity,an actor,a bus driver or whatever and leave a HAPPY life.They do not hold university degrees.

My point is,nobody will give you back your lost youth, it is not worth struggling to get a university degree and regret it later because it did not pay off,see universities as companies:they do not really care if you succeed,you pay for your education so as to graduate and work as a<<slave>> 8+ hours daily for industries in addition to post-graduate endless studying.I believe industries should always pay your education,not you,they have extravagant demands,let them pay for!

Time never reverts,second chance is a bit of a utopia.That hurts the most,even me...

I'm in first year ENG, and I'll agree, it's tonnes of hard work.

First half of the semester, I thought I could not make it through four years because I was studying 24/7 trying to absorb everything. LIfe was very stressful. I got to a point where I told myself 'f*k' it, I'm not going to try and ace everything, I'll just absorb whatever time permits. So I did that.

I started to go workout again, playing sports, and taking one day off on the weekends. With all this time away from the books, somehow I was able to absorb and understand the material more easily. Instead of 2 hours trying to understand a calc proof, it took me only 30 minutes etc.

So, moral of my story... balance is key. Dedicating all your awake hours to studying is not effective as one might think.

Sci/Eng or something else?

Hello.

I'm sure this is a question that has been asked countless times in- and outside this thread, but I couldn't find anything that specifically matched my current circumstances.

I'm a student that just completed high school, and am going to start in a college this January. I plan to do first year university studies there (tuition fees are cheaper), and then transfer to a university in Canada (the plan is UBC, right now) in 2010. I'm a relatively good student when it comes to academics, and I am typically able to always score at least 85% in all courses I've ever taken in school (mainly English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, History, Computer Science and Geography). Among the bunch, Math is probably my weakest.

Until recently, I've never really worked hard or did my homework or anything. I was always attentive in class, but I never did any sort of revision and always left assignments and studying for exams till the last minute.

That had to change when I started having trouble in a Math course. My grades crashed, and I literally had to work hours and hours everyday doing the homework just to understand the topics in the course. In the end, though, it was worth it since I passed the class with over 90%. I mention this because I earlier stated that I rarely work hard, but I can and will work hard if I have to. I probably spent thrice the energy on the aforementioned course than I've ever spent on any other course. Ever.

Since then, my interest in Math has gradually increased and I tend to think I'm somewhat better in the subject than I used to be, since I understand more of why things work rather than just applying a fixed method to solve a particular type of problem.

I think that I'm decent in both Physics and Chem -- I'm very interested in both, especially Physics.

I've always wanted to get a bachelor's degree in Engineering (until now, I'm still torn between Mechatronics, Engineering Science, Aerospace, Chemical and Electronics), work as an engineer for a few years, and then get a Master's/PhD in Physics. After reading this thread, however, I don't think I have what it takes to be an engineer OR a scientist. Several reasons:

1. I'm introverted (although I've felt that I've become slightly more sociable in recent years), and I generally dislike working in groups. I often find it difficult to take initiative and begin a conversation with someone. If the other person starts to talk first, though, I usually have no trouble in the ensuing conversation. In some cases, I have no choice but to talk first -- I can do this, but it feels really awkward and uncomfortable for me. If the other person is chatty, the feeling often disappears, otherwise, it may remain. Regarding groups, I sometimes feel that the group members bring me down or hold me back. I'm not arrogant, honest, but that's the way I feel. On the other hand, sometimes I get into a great group, where everyone participates and the workload is equally shared -- I often enjoy these experiences a lot, since there's someone to talk to and ease the monotony of the tasks at hand.

2. I like designing things, and understanding why things work, and often want to improve pre-existing things, but I'm really clumsy when it comes to doing the handywork. I'd probably weld my hands together if I had to use a welding machine (or whatever the proper term is...). As such, I often prefer the theoretical part of things rather than the application. On the other hand, I enjoyed whatever physics and chemistry lab work I had to do for my courses - it was great to see how theory is in practice. :)

3. I like abstract concepts, even those that might have no real application whatsoever, but I really want to "change" things, like, make a difference in the world.

4. If I get a science degree, I'd probably be involved in research. What happens if I don't discover anything or the research is a complete failure? I'm not very good at teaching either, so a university lecturer is out of the question, I think.

I considered the double degree in Engineering and Science, but I'm not sure if I can handle the load. I'm afraid I'll degenerate into cramming for exams if I don't have enough time or something.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do? Any particular branch of Engineering or Science that I can go to that (even remotely) matches my profile? Thank you.

Rocket_guy said:
and yes ...for about difficult studies regarding engineering .. I never found anything that was "difficult" .. although I needed a lot of practice .. but the studies are volumes and volumes like vast oceans ... enough to keep u busy from making anything u really dreamt to make during ur 4 years degree course!

I am Electronics Engineer. I did not find the study to be very difficult. I hope if you are good at maths, there sjouldn't be any big problem. However the homework assignments were the real trouble for me.

I had been electronis hobbiest since my early schooling. However during my degree program really had no time to do anything interesting. But I was satisfied that now I was going to know how the things acutually work. It was fun to know of my earlier mistakes and misconceptions.

walk_w/o_aim said:
After reading this thread, however, I don't think I have what it takes to be an engineer OR a scientist. Several reasons:

1. I'm introverted (although I've felt that I've become slightly more sociable in recent years), and I generally dislike working in groups. I often find it difficult to take initiative and begin a conversation with someone. If the other person starts to talk first, though, I usually have no trouble in the ensuing conversation. In some cases, I have no choice but to talk first -- I can do this, but it feels really awkward and uncomfortable for me. If the other person is chatty, the feeling often disappears, otherwise, it may remain. Regarding groups, I sometimes feel that the group members bring me down or hold me back. I'm not arrogant, honest, but that's the way I feel. On the other hand, sometimes I get into a great group, where everyone participates and the workload is equally shared -- I often enjoy these experiences a lot, since there's someone to talk to and ease the monotony of the tasks at hand.

2. I like designing things, and understanding why things work, and often want to improve pre-existing things, but I'm really clumsy when it comes to doing the handywork. I'd probably weld my hands together if I had to use a welding machine (or whatever the proper term is...). As such, I often prefer the theoretical part of things rather than the application. On the other hand, I enjoyed whatever physics and chemistry lab work I had to do for my courses - it was great to see how theory is in practice. :)

3. I like abstract concepts, even those that might have no real application whatsoever, but I really want to "change" things, like, make a difference in the world.

4. If I get a science degree, I'd probably be involved in research. What happens if I don't discover anything or the research is a complete failure? I'm not very good at teaching either, so a university lecturer is out of the question, I think.

I considered the double degree in Engineering and Science, but I'm not sure if I can handle the load. I'm afraid I'll degenerate into cramming for exams if I don't have enough time or something.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do? Any particular branch of Engineering or Science that I can go to that (even remotely) matches my profile? Thank you.
I'm an Aerospace Engineering student almost Junior now. (in fall '09 I will be)

1) Don't worry about this too much for now. I'm also an introvert to a certain extent. If you really like the subject (in which you explained that you do) eventually you will want to exercise people to people skills to get stuff done. For the most part you have plenty of time to work on it and/or decide if you really care that much for it to keep engineering i.e. You dislike group work so much you find engineering distasteful? I don't know what ever happens. But you don't have to worry too much about it now. Depending on your course design at the college you are at now there will be courses that involve this and will help you :)

2) Excellent, you are the essence of a design engineer. I have felt that way also for a long time now :D

3)Another great quality of a true engineer.

4) Don't worry about that now. Just focus on techniques to keep your grades up. As you soon find out later you will be doing self study and/or self research of your own because of an interest in your degree or a specialized area of it. (At least I do =D )

In my experiences its very important to develop study habits early on (this is only my second semester at a large institution so I had to learn quick)

Its great to set career goals from now ( or even maybe one years time? - it took me 2 - but my story is a little different) because it gives you greater focus in terms of what to study and what is required of you.

As has been stated over and over in this eternal thread. Math ability is 100% essential. In my opinion, seeing sophmores/juniors struggle with calc2 integration techniques is horrible...it happens but I think it shouldn't (as an engineer at least)

My final tip to you sir is constantly pay attention to details, all the time everywhere. Even if it feels silly at times. If someone is left handed notice it. If you accidentally missed units on your homework notice it. In my opinion this will help you develop excellent engineering skills and train you to become a great engineer! ( I don't know of which engineer doesn't pay attention to detail)

Good luck on school btw. P.S. Aerospace engineering roxxx ;)

Edit: as to your double degree... it all depends. Feel it out, check how many courses you can handle each semester. I'm not sure how Double D's go but my best guess is to spread out the load over a few semesters

Last edited:

walk_w/o_aim said:

I ran out of space on my other thread =p

Well as far as recommendations its really difficult. It depends on what aspects of the world interest YOU. For me fluids seem amazing, so complex yet beautiful. So I want to learn all I can about them in engineering so I choose Aerospace Engineering. Now I do like engines and such so Propulsion is my focus. However I still like aeronautics (study of aeroplane body mechanics and materials)! :S but I think jet engines are cooler so they prevail =D

See how the process is? If you have no focus, simply broaden your degree. Most people choose Mechanical Engineering. You can get into nearly any other engineering field after. I've seen stories where many people have switched from ME to AE successfully.

Again good luck!

I hate to ask this for fear of offending someone, but here it goes:

I like (and am quite good at) math, computer programming and science. However, I'm concerned about going into Electrical Engineering because although the pay is good, I don't think I could do the work I see some EE's do (much like what PhysicalAnomaly and cdotter were describing). I'm not trying to be rude, but I chronically feel worried that I'll end up doing something repetitive. Should I choose another career path, or are my observations just off the mark? I have high A's in all of the math classes I've ever taken, and self-study new math for fun, so the environment of pure mathematics has always been an inviting possibility in the back of my mind. However, engineering seems like too good of a gig to let go of. Again, maybe EE's do a lot more than what I've seen. Can someone who has gone this route give me some advice?

_Note that I'm not berating anyone, I'm just trying to clear up something based on personal observation._

Engineering too good to let go off? Do you mean the glamour and the paycheck? Because if you do, I know what you mean. But I was inspired by stories of monks who gave up their riches to live an ascetic lifestyle. It's hardly as bad as that... but your days will be exciting... hopefully. =O

enlight me more. I am a A level student about to choose. and dwiddling between mechanical or nuclear??

From what I've gathered:

Engineering Technician: Blue collar, assists and works under a supervision of a "real" engineer. They are the ones who build/maintain/repair the Engineer's design. It's easier to find a position since many technicians work for a company.

Engineer: They design from the ground up, like goodies such as Mech Warriors in video games, Mars Rover, targets and weapons, etc. Harder to find a position since companies only require a small team of engineers, maybe even 1?

Are those pretty accurate descriptions?

What do you think is better for someone who is 20 years old, does not want to work while in school (full focus on school), average intelligence (but hoping neuroplasticity takes it course):

1. Stay in school for a continuous 7 years. Why? Because I'll need to go to a community college for General Arts and Science and then transfer to a University for an undergraduate degree.

2. Stay in college for an advanced diploma, 3 years completing a 3-year technician course. Then work full time for 2 or 3 years to save money, and then continue education for an undergraduate degree.

3. Get realistic and just stick with the 3-year technician degree due to the fact that some people will sadly get filtered out from the course because they really can't do it. My average intelligence further increases my chances of being in this other group. In reality is becoming an engineer as a career choice too unrealistic? I.e. very low chances of getting the right job/position after graduating?

djeitnstine, thanks for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it. :) I'm sorry I couldn't reply earlier - classes sort of got in the way. :P

djeitnstine said:
As has been stated over and over in this eternal thread. Math ability is 100% essential. In my opinion, seeing sophmores/juniors struggle with calc2 integration techniques is horrible...it happens but I think it shouldn't (as an engineer at least)

Right. I'm taking Calc I right now, and doing my best. It's really quite interesting, but we haven't actually gotten to integration yet. I'll keep in mind that I should master Calc II integration by the time I complete the course. :)

djeitnstine said:
My final tip to you sir is constantly pay attention to details, all the time everywhere. Even if it feels silly at times. If someone is left handed notice it. If you accidentally missed units on your homework notice it. In my opinion this will help you develop excellent engineering skills and train you to become a great engineer! ( I don't know of which engineer doesn't pay attention to detail)

Edit: as to your double degree... it all depends. Feel it out, check how many courses you can handle each semester. I'm not sure how Double D's go but my best guess is to spread out the load over a few semesters

Thank you for the advice. I've been trying to do this as well. I was in the bus this morning, and tried it... I saw a whole bunch of new stuff I normally wouldn't have spared a second glance at. Again, very interesting, even if I haven't really gotten anything out of it yet (considering I've been doing it for like... a day? :))

As for the double degree, I'm not quite sure either. At the moment, I'm doing both courses required for 1st year Physics and Engineering, so hopefully I can decide when the time comes to declare my major whether I would like to take Engineering (current choice), Physics, or both.

djeitnstine said:
I ran out of space on my other thread =p

Well as far as recommendations its really difficult. It depends on what aspects of the world interest YOU. For me fluids seem amazing, so complex yet beautiful. So I want to learn all I can about them in engineering so I choose Aerospace Engineering. Now I do like engines and such so Propulsion is my focus. However I still like aeronautics (study of aeroplane body mechanics and materials)! :S but I think jet engines are cooler so they prevail =D

See how the process is? If you have no focus, simply broaden your degree. Most people choose Mechanical Engineering. You can get into nearly any other engineering field after. I've seen stories where many people have switched from ME to AE successfully.

Again good luck!

Again, thanks for the advice and the luck. :)

I came across this thread, and thought I might be able to shed some light on what it is like to be an electrical engineer, since someone asked about it earlier, but first I'd like to mention a little about my background and also address the three thread questions. After graduating with a BSEE, I've been working in industry as an engineer for 4 years now (defense & non-profit), plus I had three internships in college (startups and commercial), so I've seen what different companies can be like. I currently work in defense, but my boyfriend, who is materials scientist/engineer with a PhD, works in the academic world. We both love our jobs, and feel that we made the right choice for ourselves.

-Should I become an engineer?
I think it's really hard to say for sure whether someone should or shouldn't become one, because I think if you are curious about engineering, or any profession, you should try it out for yourself, rather than have someone steer you either way. It's a great idea to explore internships and co-ops through your high school college counselor, or your college career center, and see if you can get a summer engineering job. Additionally, you can go to local job fairs and talk to engineers at different companies and ask them what they do. It's going to vary based on whether you are planning to work in the military, private for-profit, non-profit, defense, university, etc. You can also ask whether a company will allow you to "shadow an engineer" for a day at work. That is a good way to see what people do. To start off with, if you are interested in math and science, that is a great starting point. I think it's important to like problem-solving, no matter which engineering or science discipline you enter. Don't be discouraged or intimidated to explore this career option, because it can be very rewarding.

-What engineering discipline should I study?
I think the discipline is a very personal choice, and you should base it on what types of things you might enjoy doing. I disagree with anyone who may tell you that one discipline is better or more stable than another, because I have friends in civil, aero, mechanical, computer science, computer engineering, chemical, physics, materials, biomedical, industrial, optics, environmental, systems, etc, and they are all doing well. I read one person's thread that seemed to mention that sales engineering is not so great, and I think that is not necessarily true. It's probably not a good idea to start off as a sales engineer if you don't have a strong background, because you'll be required to answer questions about your product, but I have a friend who started as a hardware designer, then took a sales engineer position a few years ago, and has steadily moved up in his company. He interfaces with very important customers in Europe and Asia, and really loves his job. It's a huge mistake to try and jump on the bandwagon just because people tell you this discipline sucks or this one is more superior, or the economy seems to favor a certain discipline, etc. True, it is smart to know how in demand the discipline is, but if you don't love what you're doing, you will ultimately fail at it, so it's important to base your decision on what types of things interest you, and not on what is cool or popular. Most people are biased towards the discipline they studied, and it's really to your detriment to not explore all of your options, because this is your life. I would suggest going to monster.com or some other job hiring website, and search on the different disciplines to read about what they do. Additionally, don't be afraid to email companies and ask them if you can speak to someone there about their job duties. If you are worried about the heavy math with a particular discipline, I would try it first, and if it doesn't suit you, there are majors in engineering technology, which do not require as much math. In general, you can cannot generalize entirely what one discipline will end up doing at a job. In additional to designing hardware, I have also written a lot of software, which I never thought I would be doing, but I enjoy it. I've also had the change to interface and work closely with people in mechanical, aero, computer science, computer engineering, physics, math, and a whole slew of other disciplines in my job, which has made it a lot of fun. I have a lot of respect for all the disciplines, because without them, companies would not be able to produce a final product. You need all of them to get to the end result. If I wanted to, I could go back to school and get a Masters in another discipline, so you can always change your mind later and switch to a different job. It's not the end of the world if you realize you want to do something slightly different.

-Is engineering difficult?
I think that depends on how someone would define engineering. The schooling to get your degree is challenging, and you have to study a lot, but it's well worth it, and you will learn so much about yourself in the process. You can always get help from study sessions and utilize office hours. Most people do struggle at some point with their coursework, but this is expected, and don't get discouraged. If you are worried about the workload, I would make sure you buddy up with students in your major, and also utiltize all your university resources in order to help you succeed. There are student chapters for organizations like IEEE, ASME, etc, that can be your refuge when you're feeling alone. I think that it's also very important to find out whether the school you are planning to go to has a high dropout rate, or whether they have support systems in place for students. I know a few friends who transferred to different universities, because they were not satisfied with the resources available to them, so it's good to do homework up front so you have less of a chance of dropping out. In the workplace, it's challenging to be an engineer, because you have to problem-solve with the tools available to you, and sometimes that means learning a new tool, or thinking outside of the box to come up with a solution. Sometimes it means reusing an existing idea, but making it much better, which can also be difficult. Teamwork is a big part of my job, and that can be a challenge at times, because to make decisions, you need the team's consensus, and people have different experiences and opinions. In the end, it's fun and interesting to work in a team, and to see from other peoples' perspectives.

I've rambled on, but I hope you can tell that I've had a lot of fun in my various engineering jobs so far, and I've been lucky enough to travel for my job to some interesting places, and meet a lot of great people. The possibilities are endless for you if you do your homework on what you will make you the happiest, and take the time to know yourself better when making a decision! Your job will only be as exciting as you make it. When you graduate, if you want a repetitive job, there are some of those available, but there are plenty of stimulating jobs, too. If you don't like something you are doing, speak up and ask for something different, and if that doesn't make you happy, apply to another company, or explore graduate school options. Good luck to you all who are deciding right now...

I just came across this thread and had to sign up to thank everyone who contributed.

I'm 31 and within the next few years (old HS credits are outdated) I'm returning to university for engineering (electrical specifically). I've always had a passion for computers (my current career) but I've always felt something was missing. After many years of "soul searching" and realizing what my actual deepest passions were, I'm excited to be back on track.

I'll definitely post about my first experiences on campus when the time arrives.

Thanks again. :)

EDIT: Just noticed all of the lego comments. I played with lego from ages 3/4-10 and even went to Lego shows between those ages. When I look back into all of my interests as a child, and reading all of your posts, I'm amazed I never looked into this field before.

Last edited:

hey is there anyone from MIT here??

I'm in high school right now and applying for univeristy. There's two programs that can get me where I want to be, I be a theoretical physicist. There's physics major at Uof Toronto that can get me there and there's EngSci at UofT. The problem is that I know I will enjoy physics major more but that means I will have stay at UofT for grad school, or I can take the less enjoyable EngSci and a 15% chance go to US for grad school. (I really want to go to US for gradschool) Which one should I choose??

I'm a junior in EE/Physics, and I was just curioius:

How much of your education do you use on a daily basis? Do you really use all the math?

John.C, good luck to you, I hope you follow your passions.

jeyzi, I am not from MIT, but my boyfriend went there for his Masters, so if there is something you want me to ask him, I can do that for you.

Bright Wang, I am sorry, but I don't know how to recommend a better way to come to the US for grad school, other than to contact the admission offices of the grad schools in the US and ask them what educational path will help you get into their school, sorry.

elimenohpee, I majored in electrical engineering, and I'd say that I use my education every day at work, but in different capacities. University teaches you a lot of different things, like not only just math, but also general reasoning and problem solving skills, which you have to use all the time at work to make decisions. I don't have to use all the math every single day, but when I am implementing an algorithm in software, I have to apply my understanding of math to develop such algorithms to be executed in the software. Also, my group develops controls, so we use transfer functions in MATLAB/Simulink for our control systems modeling. For electronic circuit design, you are sometimes using equations as basic as Kirchoff's Laws, which is algebra, but you can use more advanced math from school, like Fourier transforms, in filter design. The amount and type of math you use every day in your job really depends on what you pursue in terms of a job once you get your degree, because the number of jobs you can get with an EE/Physics background can vary a lot depending on your interests. Some jobs require more math more often than others, but all of them require some math. I hope that helps a little.

Hi,
I'm here to put a question which i want to know the answer though this thread might not be the right place but among all the threads present in the forum it looked the more appropriate.
If not please advice me to put my question in which thread.

My situation is.

I'm a engineer.(CS). completed 9 years before. done IT. done teaching. done Government.in between lost time also because of the sort of semi forced changes and health ( Neuro related )
during Major also almost 4 year time was not exactly properly used ( again Nuero and other )
coming to my interests Top physics , second Maths third Other Sciences( except zoology and botany but animal (human) biology yes) and English and later my mother tongue and literature and finally history.I used to score 98-100(1).98-100(2).85-90(other sc)60(Bot, Zoo), 85-90(Eng), 70-85(other Lang,liter),60-80(History and other social subjects)

So I picked Eng. rode the wave swung with it initially with my non-performance tide and later with the triggered Nuero tide and finally completed the degree with full knowledge as good as any of my classmates but without the percentage.
After that because of the time waste(as seen by people) and less marks job was different.
could also be said that i stuck to it as I'm as good as anybody out there without time waste and more marks.
so teaching then government . ( left a chance of higher studies with gate 97 percentile thinking about marriage )
later again Nuero problem.
people may not agree but it is not always the psychiatric(if I'm considered one . ) patient who is major source of the problem , but sometimes of course rarely the doctor is the major source and patient added along him self and he will be the one who falls.
again time taken to heal and back in business.
this time in IT. for 2 full years.
Now the Slow Down hence cost cutting to the point of humiliation.
(Well one can always argue my performance was not better.let us not walk that line now for varied reasons )
So I thought enough is enough. out right resigned and back to preparation for any thing enjoyable and suitable.
So back to gate(Feb 09). might get 98 percentile (500 rank ) might not get IIT.
exploring all options.
how about physics/Maths after B.E.(CS) and after 6 year countable exp. and 13 yr. uncountable but equivalent exp. almost good in management as any ( but won't take a path even if known it is profitable. but will take it if one likes it, despite of possible road blocks cause he backs him self )
Please share your views and i will be very grateful and if this not the correct thread please advise me where to put it.
thank you guys and gals.
Do forgive me for the length.

Sorry
forgot to add
i like all i mentioned.
End.(computers and others) . physics and maths
and even other sciences and English and literature and I love them and can live with them.
Money is a priority but not the highest priority so can be said no effect(contribution) input.
As some guy said in some other post a superstar in physics earns a lot.
for me if i can put my effort to become a super star that's fine for me.if i become a super star
ok. if not then also fine.
here in IT they are not allowing me put my effort. they want my effort but in their defined way and i know for sure in the end my 100% effort will be worth only 10% useful , cause that's how my manager handles it. i don't want it to happen in my future career.
and last but not the least i have no fear that i won't be stuck in some thing which i might not like.
like say before entering i thought i would like it. but after entering taking into account the specific conditions present in that case i might not enjoy it. Thats ok for me. i always have the option of changing options. might not sound that good or logical. but I'm willing to take the risk.