Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

creepypasta13 said:
I didn't really enjoy my applied math courses as much as my physics. if i could do my undergrad again, i definitely wouldn't have majored in applied math.

my goal is to obtain some kind of research position, preferably in academia or a government lab. But since academia jobs are scarce, I'm willing to look elsewhere such as government or industrial labs

Hrmm... if you didn't enjoy applied math, you may hate engineering. Applied math is a pretty broad field. Many schools will also lump applied subjects together with engineering in a "School of Engineering and Applied Sciences" or similar. There is a lot of overlap. An applied mathematician in the right department could work on any of the problems you listed.

None of this probably helps you much though. If you're interested in research I think you need to be pretty passionate about your particular field to be successful. If you choose a research field for the job prospects, you may find that the lower drive you have within that field will exclude you anyways.

Physics news on Phys.org

kote said:
Hrmm... if you didn't enjoy applied math, you may hate engineering. Applied math is a pretty broad field. Many schools will also lump applied subjects together with engineering in a "School of Engineering and Applied Sciences" or similar. There is a lot of overlap. An applied mathematician in the right department could work on any of the problems you listed.

None of this probably helps you much though. If you're interested in research I think you need to be pretty passionate about your particular field to be successful. If you choose a research field for the job prospects, you may find that the lower drive you have within that field will exclude you anyways.

well i enjoyed some applied math courses such as PDEs, ODEs, math modeling, and linear algebra, was indifferent towards real analysis and complex analysis, and hated probability/stats and Fourier analysis. Besides the lab courses, I definitely liked the physics major more

The thing is, I enjoy many different fields, but have no passion towards any particular one.

Hey guys (and gals), I've been lurking for a few days and reading peoples stories - I've got to say they are both inspiring and a tiny bit frightening at the same time. ;)

Hell, I'll throw my own questions in the ring and see what happens.

Here's the story (I'll try and be brief), I'm 30 and thinking of going back to school (part time) for a Mechanical Engineering degree. While I'm not super concerned about the math, physics or any of those commonly asked rigors (I feel that if you really want something, you'll find a way to get it - obstacles or not) - but I'm a tad concerned that I'm doing the right thing for the right reasons. Let me explain.

I've spent the last 8+ years as a computer programmer, working for a couple private companies and now for the government. At the start, I really liked it, but now I see things differently and it bores me to death.

Maybe back then it was more of a novelty for me, but now I see the computer for what it really is... a TOOL.

In my mind, my job is the construction equivalent of staring at a hammer all day and making sure its clean, usable, and hammer-ific. I love the problem solving / analytical aspect of programming, but at this point in my career its become 10% problem solving and 90% drudgery. Not only that, but honestly, I'm quite sick of doing hours and hours of work to create things that are forever intangible and don't really matter (or exist) in the "real world". Its tedious, soul-killing and makes me feel like a faceless, nameless button-pusher. Ok, maybe I'm being a tad dramatic, but you get my point.

Before I got my first "big" programming job, I actually worked for 3 years as an auto mechanic at a local VW dealer in my hometown. I loved that job for the same kind of reasons I initially loved programming - troubleshooting, figuring things out, fixing and ultimately making them better than they were initially. In fact, in my mind I don't see much of a difference in writing code, fixing cars or computers - they are all a group of systems that all work together to perform a specific task.

Now, I've always been obsessed with how things work. Not only that, but obsessed with improving them too. I've always done a great deal of tinkering. As far as cars go, heck, if I can make something run cooler, be lighter, more efficient, or just plain more powerful (even if its only 0.0005% more) - that gets me all jazzed up. That is something that has always been really rewarding for me.

1) From all this, does it sound like I'm heading down the right path?

I realize that the mechanical engineering jobs people end up getting are quite varied, especially depending on your specialization (or from Masters work, etc, right?) But from what I've read here - I'm also kind of worried that eventually I'll just end up behind a desk, staring at a computer screen 40 hours a week again, and not have as much hands-on type / real-world activity as I would have hoped.

2) Can any current Mech Engineers here vouch for that (in the paragraph above)?

Thanks in advance everyone! (Sorry for the length)

ryrobes said:
1) From all this, does it sound like I'm heading down the right path?

I realize that the mechanical engineering jobs people end up getting are quite varied, especially depending on your specialization (or from Masters work, etc, right?) But from what I've read here - I'm also kind of worried that eventually I'll just end up behind a desk, staring at a computer screen 40 hours a week again, and not have as much hands-on type / real-world activity as I would have hoped.

2) Can any current Mech Engineers here vouch for that (in the paragraph above)?

Thanks in advance everyone! (Sorry for the length)

ryrobes, maybe you already answered this and I missed it, but is there any job in particular you would be going for? Is there anyone you've worked with who you've thought had a really interesting job?

I graduated not too long ago with a mechanical engineering degree, and I stayed away from actual mechanical engineering because the job options seemed to consist of 60 hours per week of CAD. Not all straight engineering jobs are like this, but many are, especially in aerospace (well, maybe this part isn't true, but that's the industry I've had experience with). My engineering degree opened doors in management, but I'm not actually using my degree now.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it really depends on what you want specifically. An ME degree may or may not help you to get there. Mechanical engineering as mechanical (design) engineering in the primary industries is mostly staring at a computer all day and working on drawings, but people with ME degrees go into many fields, some of which you may already be qualified for.

Do you have a college degree currently or would this be your first?

Last edited:

kote said:
ryrobes, maybe you already answered this and I missed it, but is there any job in particular you would be going for? Is there anyone you've worked with who you've thought had a really interesting job?

I graduated not too long ago with a mechanical engineering degree, and I stayed away from actual mechanical engineering because the job options seemed to consist of 60 hours per week of CAD. Not all straight engineering jobs are like this, but many are, especially in aerospace (well, maybe this part isn't true, but that's the industry I've had experience with). My engineering degree opened doors in management, but I'm not actually using my degree now.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it really depends on what you want specifically. An ME degree may or may not help you to get there. Mechanical engineering as mechanical (design) engineering in the primary industries is mostly staring at a computer all day and working on drawings, but people with ME degrees go into many fields, some of which you may already be qualified for.

Do you have a college degree currently or would this be your first?

Heya, thanks for the quick reply, Kote! This would be my first actual degree. I was one of those jerks who was offered a good job while barely a sophomore in college, and dropped out like an idiot in order to chase the money (the IT Tech bubble hadn't quite burst yet).

After that job, I had so much varied experience that people in my industry really didn't care about the degree as much, luckily.

As far as what I'm after job-wise, maybe I'm a bit ignorant about that. The more research on the web you do about jobs that are ME related the more confusing it gets.

Is that the reality, that with a ME bachelors, you're pretty much a CAD jockey out of the gate? Yeesh. While much more interesting than being a code jockey, it isn't really the "job satisfaction boost" I had somehow envisioned.

Like I said, I was thinking of more of an automotive bent later on in my schooling, but as everyone says in this forum, you don't have to worry about that until later - maybe something will strike me in another specialty and I'll go in that direction instead.

I have successfully confused myself. :)

You say that you didn't actually use your degree as you had intended? What line of work did you end up going into? (if you don't mind me asking)

ryrobes said:
You say that you didn't actually use your degree as you had intended? What line of work did you end up going into? (if you don't mind me asking)

No, I used it exactly as intended :smile:. This page gets the basic idea of one of many other options for engineers, but an engineering degree is not required depending on the job. I work with material resource planners, logistics teams, sourcing, finance, manufacturing engineers, etc. It's all related and people swap around between those roles regularly.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos016.htm

Job prospects. Despite employment declines, a number of jobs are expected to open due to the need to replace workers who retire or transfer to other occupations. Applicants with experience in production occupations along with a college degree in industrial engineering, management, or business administration, and particularly those with an undergraduate engineering degree and a master’s degree in business administration or industrial management, will enjoy the best job prospects. Employers also are likely to seek candidates who have excellent communication skills, related work experience, and who are personable, flexible, and eager to enhance their knowledge and skills through ongoing training.

Experience as a mechanic and programming experience would both be an asset if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

kote said:
No, I used it exactly as intended :smile:. This page gets the basic idea of one of many other options for engineers, but an engineering degree is not required depending on the job. I work with material resource planners, logistics teams, sourcing, finance, manufacturing engineers, etc. It's all related and people swap around between those roles regularly.

Very cool, thanks Kote. Well played. :)

It sounds interesting - but to answer your question (after some more diligent web "job research") - what I think I'd LIKE to possibly do is be a Product Development engineer for a automotive manufacturer. From what I've read, those jobs SEEM to be at least partially hands-on depending on the vehicle system you're working on and whether you're on the analysis / testing end or the initial design end.

I'm just trying to avoid 100% CAD jockey work... (not that I mind CAD at all, but my brain craves more hands-on work after years chained to the keyboard already)

Can anyone verify if any of these assumptions are anywhere near correct?

Do we have any graduated mechanical engineers here that work in the automotive industry that can 'throw me a bone' as they say?

i am above average at math, i am also very lazy. can i become an environmental engineer?

theman408 said:
I keep hearing that most of the civil engineers are trying to re-invent themselves and are all stressed out because the field is almost weeded out.

How true is this and is it really a factor?

In the academia yes, in the industry no.

I am currently in my last year of schooling in south africa and i was looking for advice, i really want to study engineering but I am not sure which to do. I am really interested in aeronautical but the thing is, my country doesn't make airplane parts or things so the job opportunities are scarce, should i pursue it or should i go with the more practical option of civil? is it hard to emmigrate with an aeronautical degree?

magecaster said:
I am currently in my last year of schooling in south africa and i was looking for advice, i really want to study engineering but I am not sure which to do. I am really interested in aeronautical but the thing is, my country doesn't make airplane parts or things so the job opportunities are scarce, should i pursue it or should i go with the more practical option of civil? is it hard to emmigrate with an aeronautical degree?

Hi magecaster. Have you considered mechanical engineering? Aerospace engineering is a sub-discipline of mechanical, and almost any company hiring aerospace engineers will hire mechanical engineers for the same jobs. I have no idea how the mechanical opportunities are in your country, but in general mechanical is more generic. Mechanical engineers can often (but not always) find jobs with civil engineering firms as well.

I am enrolled in electrical engineering (and will specialize in bio-medical in 3 semesters). My career that I think I'll be involved in is within the field of medicine. However, I am interested in other fields of engineering especially mechanical.

Having said that, have any engineers here taken an engineering course outside of their discipline? For instance, taking fluid mechanics or statics as an EE. I wonder if just taking its equivalent in the physics department is a better idea.

Help me out!

elpermic said:
i am above average at math, i am also very lazy. can i become an environmental engineer?

Nobody cares if you are above average in math or not - if you are lazy, you won't get far.

First of all, it depends on you what are you want to do.. i mean what are your interests... If you have an inclination towards technical perspective then you should opt for engineering. And probably you will feel engineering easy. On the other hand if you are more inclined towards other fields then you should probably check out your interests.

hai friends i have number

http://www.google.com"

Hello. I am currently a senior in high school. I am currently taking AP Physics C and will be through calc III/diff eq by the time i graduate. I am interested in going into nuclear engineering but i do not just want to work at some power plant the rest of my life. I am interested in theorhetical type physics but i also enjoy the practicality and reality of engineering. So my idea is to go into nuclear fusion (as opposed to fission). I feel like this way i can work on a tangible solution to a real life problem while also working with something that is on the cutting edge of science.

So, my question is:
Does this make sense? (I hope some of you have some personal experience with this). And, as an undergrad, should i major in physics or nuclear engineering? (The other major i could do is engineering physics with a concentration on nuclear engineering)

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

kote said:
Hi magecaster. Have you considered mechanical engineering? Aerospace engineering is a sub-discipline of mechanical, and almost any company hiring aerospace engineers will hire mechanical engineers for the same jobs. I have no idea how the mechanical opportunities are in your country, but in general mechanical is more generic. Mechanical engineers can often (but not always) find jobs with civil engineering firms as well.

I have considered mechanical, mechanical and aeronautical are the same for 2 years and then they differentiate in terms of course work ect so i can follow either. Would it be wise to get a mechanical degree and then emmigrate to a country that offers aerospace? because mine does not

magecaster said:
I have considered mechanical, mechanical and aeronautical are the same for 2 years and then they differentiate in terms of course work ect so i can follow either. Would it be wise to get a mechanical degree and then emmigrate to a country that offers aerospace? because mine does not

In the US there is very little advantage to holding an aero specific undergraduate degree over a general mechanical degree when applying to jobs in the aerospace industry. It is not worth going out of one's way in the states to get an aerospace engineering degree when a mechanical degree is attainable. In the US, I would not recommend that someone transfer from a mechanical program just to get an aero degree. Your mileage may vary.

Every course I took in mechanical engineering was directly applicable to aerospace engineering: Dynamics, Mechanics of Materials, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, etc. Aerospace companies know this. You should be able to choose an aerospace specific design project if you are interested, but that probably won't even matter much. I did my project on cardiovascular modeling and still received an offer from a large jet engine manufacturer.

After reading some of these posts I am getting pretty discouraged with my choice to return to school. I've held many different management positions, but with no real marketable skills besides different positions, I decided to return to school for an EE degree. I love math and physics, both subjects come natural to me. My last round of college (had to stop due to work) I was A's across the board in both subjects.

The bad news...I am 32, considerably older than most people posting in here for academic advice. I've heard all of the “do you know what happens to an engineer after 40" jokes so I know there has to be some truth to them. Is there any point to pursing an EE degree at my age? I'm pretty sure I could have everything done by 36 at the latest. Is this too old? I know it is never too old to learn, but is it too old to get a job?

erok81 said:
After reading some of these posts I am getting pretty discouraged with my choice to return to school. I've held many different management positions, but with no real marketable skills besides different positions, I decided to return to school for an EE degree. I love math and physics, both subjects come natural to me. My last round of college (had to stop due to work) I was A's across the board in both subjects.

The bad news...I am 32, considerably older than most people posting in here for academic advice. I've heard all of the “do you know what happens to an engineer after 40" jokes so I know there has to be some truth to them. Is there any point to pursing an EE degree at my age? I'm pretty sure I could have everything done by 36 at the latest. Is this too old? I know it is never too old to learn, but is it too old to get a job?

I returned to school full time a year ago. I did one year part time at CC, then the 2nd year full time. I am now a 3rd year at UVa studying EE. I am about to turn 35. I had previously held management a management sales position with a company I had worked at for 9 years. I am working harder now than at any other time in my life, but I do not regret my decision. Yes I feel old on occasion, but it's really hard to stop and think about my age when I focus on the tremendous amount of work and difficult material I have to tackle every day. Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

Jason

ps - what happens after 40?

erok81 said:

There is a lot you can do with an engineering degree, especially with other management experience. With an EE degree you don't have to work in engineering. How would like you supervising or working in process improvement in manufacturing at a high tech firm, for example? I love my job in operations management and would recommend you check out all of the sorts of companies and departments that hire engineers besides straight engineering departments.

See http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos016.htm.

Technical sales and other types of jobs could also be a fit.

j450n said:
I returned to school full time a year ago. I did one year part time at CC, then the 2nd year full time. I am now a 3rd year at UVa studying EE. I am about to turn 35. I had previously held management a management sales position with a company I had worked at for 9 years. I am working harder now than at any other time in my life, but I do not regret my decision. Yes I feel old on occasion, but it's really hard to stop and think about my age when I focus on the tremendous amount of work and difficult material I have to tackle every day. Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

Jason

ps - what happens after 40?

"What do you call an engineer after 40? Hey Cabbie" Or something like that. I've heard the question asked a few times, but only that answer once.

Sounds like you are in the boat as me. Like you said, I am putting in way more effort now than when I was going the first time. Thanks for the advice, I definitely feel better about it. I thought a bit over the weekend as well, and why put myself down before I've even started. :)

kote said:
There is a lot you can do with an engineering degree, especially with other management experience. With an EE degree you don't have to work in engineering. How would like you supervising or working in process improvement in manufacturing at a high tech firm, for example? I love my job in operations management and would recommend you check out all of the sorts of companies and departments that hire engineers besides straight engineering departments.

See http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos016.htm.

Technical sales and other types of jobs could also be a fit.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a look over. And you are right, there is more to do than just engineering. I'd really like a job one day that uses math above what I'm doing now. I really like solving problems and disecting stuff to see how it works. My current job there isn't much. A lot of problem solving, but nothing technical unfortunately.

My biggest fear is that i get an engineering degree and sit behind a desk for the rest of my life doing sums, is it really like that? I am the type of person who needs a dynamic environment, change all the time, new challenges all the time, in that knowledge, is engineering a good career path for me to follow?

Last edited:

magecaster said:
My biggest fear is that i get an engineering degree and sit behind a desk for the rest of my life doing sums, is it really like that? I am the type of person who needs a dynamic environment, change all the time, new challenges all the time, in that knowledge, is engineering a good career path for me to follow?

I imagine it would depend upon the particular type of "dynamic environment, change all the time, new challenges all the time," that you need. I am not an engineer but I don't think I need to be in order to make this claim: These needs of yours neither exclusive nor inclusively provided for in an engineering position. I think your needs simply match with the price of admission into any career in the 21st century. What specifically gives you enjoyment?

magecaster said:

I am an engineer. I also need a dynamic environment, but I'd say I don't find that environment at my company. I have had 4 positions in the same company in 4 years, so I've created my own dynamic environment, but it hasn't been very advantageous promotion-wise. I'm calling things like "estimating ME" and "operations ME" distinct positions - it's really the same stuff reporting to a different boss. Basically, I sit at a desk and do stuff on my computer all day. Eventually, if you stay in the same company and maybe even industry, you run out of new stuff to do. Most jobs aren't R&D (new, innovative) and the point is to get good at something and get promoted to managing that same "something." After 10 years or so, it's difficult to start over in a new industry to get that change you crave.

On the other hand, on the other side of the company I work for, we have the construction field engineers. Those guys are at different job sites every couple years and get to manage multi-billion dollar projects from the ground up. That seems pretty dynamic to me, but I don't want to move all the time. There are 'dynamic environments' out there, but you have to really research the jobs you take to see if it meets your needs.

Mechmama said:
I am an engineer. I also need a dynamic environment, but I'd say I don't find that environment at my company. I have had 4 positions in the same company in 4 years, so I've created my own dynamic environment, but it hasn't been very advantageous promotion-wise. I'm calling things like "estimating ME" and "operations ME" distinct positions - it's really the same stuff reporting to a different boss. Basically, I sit at a desk and do stuff on my computer all day. Eventually, if you stay in the same company and maybe even industry, you run out of new stuff to do. Most jobs aren't R&D (new, innovative) and the point is to get good at something and get promoted to managing that same "something." After 10 years or so, it's difficult to start over in a new industry to get that change you crave.

On the other hand, on the other side of the company I work for, we have the construction field engineers. Those guys are at different job sites every couple years and get to manage multi-billion dollar projects from the ground up. That seems pretty dynamic to me, but I don't want to move all the time. There are 'dynamic environments' out there, but you have to really research the jobs you take to see if it meets your needs.

j450n said:
I imagine it would depend upon the particular type of "dynamic environment, change all the time, new challenges all the time," that you need. I am not an engineer but I don't think I need to be in order to make this claim: These needs of yours neither exclusive nor inclusively provided for in an engineering position. I think your needs simply match with the price of admission into any career in the 21st century. What specifically gives you enjoyment?

The dynamic environment i am talking about is a job in which i am not doing the same thing day in and day out, i want to travel, to constantly learn new things and apply previous knowledge, i want to be able to handle many different projects simultaneously, basically constant change. My area of interest is astronautical engineering.

because they want to see their product - to be able to look at it and admire it with all the 5 senses.

LOL, I don't know why but I found this sentence funny.

i am going to be a civil engineer like my daddy (:

I'm doing my first year at RU. Engineering...

And i really don't like it.

The first reason is Calc2, a complete garbagety class where I learn nothing at from the professor. I know people over exaggerate that statement, but a number of the kids don't learn either. I'm doing terrible in the class, and I do all the homework and I study. It's all crap.

The second reason is, i feel as if I can do everything else about engineering, but I don't enjoy it? I can do physics if i put effort into it, computers too...but I'm not happy? I guess I like bio more, but that comes easy to me. Computers come really easy to me too, but I hate working with them. (As much as I know, one and a half languages on computers and I'm great with windows, hardware, everything) I still don't like them.

I do like video games though. And music. I love listening to music. It just sucks that I'm not very good at making music (I'm kinda afraid of theory). BUT, I'm going to stick with it...maybe for four years, my parents are the ones paying for my education anyway (uh, most of it)--the least I can do is attempt to pass.

nominal said:
I'm doing my first year at RU. Engineering...

And i really don't like it.

The first reason is Calc2, a complete garbagety class where I learn nothing at from the professor. I know people over exaggerate that statement, but a number of the kids don't learn either. I'm doing terrible in the class, and I do all the homework and I study. It's all crap.

The second reason is, i feel as if I can do everything else about engineering, but I don't enjoy it? I can do physics if i put effort into it, computers too...but I'm not happy? I guess I like bio more, but that comes easy to me. Computers come really easy to me too, but I hate working with them. (As much as I know, one and a half languages on computers and I'm great with windows, hardware, everything) I still don't like them.

I do like video games though. And music. I love listening to music. It just sucks that I'm not very good at making music (I'm kinda afraid of theory). BUT, I'm going to stick with it...maybe for four years, my parents are the ones paying for my education anyway (uh, most of it)--the least I can do is attempt to pass.

Music theory is not difficult at all. If you like music take an introductory class in Music theory you will enjoy it, but this is not a course of study I would follow full time.

Maybe it is best if you experiment with bio, there is plenty of bio research going on right now. It is not a staid field at all.

Hello, I am currently a student in physics. I really love physics but I don't think that I will have the intellectual capacity to be the next Einstein.. Could I possibly go into engineering even though my Bachelor's degree will be in Physics? It seems that people must take a bachelor's in engineering to do engineering. Or should I try switching programs?

Thank you for your input.

Yea engineering is difficult, but so is most things you'll study at university. What, you think engineering is significantly more difficult than law, or actuarial science, or bio-chemistry? I think not. The point is that if you want to go to university to get a good degree you must be prepared to work hard. Probably much harder than you did in high school. And this goes for many of the disciplines you could learn at university. I don't happen to think engineering students get the most difficult work. I'm a math student btw, but my father is a civil engineer, and I have several friends doing engineering, and other things too.

My parents want me to go into engineering. I kinda like it but I think there is too many engineers today even if we're growing technology wise.

I like Math and Physics and I get a pleasure from solving problems and reading about theories but I don't want to teach so I'm thinking about going into engineering.

What I dislike about engineering is the fact that they invent their own words and terms. Next thing that happens is universities application and the deadline is February.

So yeah I am kinda "screwed" ... I don'T even know what I want to do.

CheckMate said:
I like Math and Physics and I get a pleasure from solving problems and reading about theories but I don't want to teach so I'm thinking about going into engineering.
You know that there are a thousand other ways to use math and physics, right? Just about every job is going to have at least a little problem solving, some of which will be applied theory. You can be an actuary, physicist, architect, hedge fund manager, statistician, computer programmer, accountant, market analyzer, etc. Even engineering is incredibly diverse, so don't knock the whole idea.

What I dislike about engineering is the fact that they invent their own words and terms.
Every industry does this to some degree. I don't think engineering is anywhere near the worst.

So yeah I am kinda "screwed" ... I don'T even know what I want to do.
Apply and take the core courses, 'specially the ones that can be used in everything. Majors aren't set in stone, and it's not difficult to switch in your first year or so.