Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

All my life I've been interested in tinkering, building things, etc. For the past several years in high school, as I've been trying to decide what career field I should pursue, I've been pondering whether I should become an engineer, specifically, a mechanical engineer. Apparently I've come to the right place! :) I took a drafting/architecture/engineering course in high school, as well as an AP Physics class and math up through AP Calculus. This year, I'll be entering college in the fall as a freshman at Seattle University. However, I find it difficult to be interested in the math aspect of engineering. While the current textbook that I have for a class at a community college for the summer is geared towards the real-world and helps me to see the relevance of math operations, I still find that I am not as interested as I probably should be in the math side of things. I enjoyed design, engineering, and physics as subjects, but the math has always given me trouble. Perhaps that is because I am not especially good at it, and I struggled greatly to barely keep my 4.0 GPA in high school by getting an A in AP Calc. Should I try to become an engineer, as I have some of the other key base interests, or should I try to pursue a different field because of my difficulty in becoming interested in math? Will I become interested in math later if I get better at it with effort? I've heard that after college you don't need the math in engineering. Is that true? Please, can someone offer some advise, especially someone who might've had similar thoughts and questions entering college in their past life as I am currently experiencing. Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Maxwell123 said:
if anyone here is currently or was an EEE student, could you briefly outline the material involved in studying EEE?

From my experience the core curriculum for EE is something like this:

Circuits - DC circuit analysis, AC circuit analysis with phasors (complex numbers representing a sine wave's phase and amplitude), op-amps, transient analysis with the Laplace transform

Circuits lab - the students may get a chance to learn electronic test equipment, build some circuits, and pick component values for a design

Electronics (with lab) - analysis and design with diodes and transistors (BJTs and MOSFETS)

Digital Logic (with lab) - Boolean algebra, logic minimization, digital design at logic gate level, design of state machines using flip-flops and logic gates, a hardware definition language

Signals and Systems - Fourier series, Fourier transform, discrete time Fourier transform, discrete Fourier transform, z transform

Probability and Statistics - expected value, conditional probability, probability mass/density functions, cumulative distribution function, correlation

Communication Systems - information theory, compression methods (source encoding), channel encoding/decoding (modulation/demodulation), maximum likelihood

plus:

software/numerical computation courses covering: MatLab, C++ Language, Data Structures and Algorithms

calculus up to vector calculus

physics courses covering mechanics and electromagnetism, with vector calculus notation

linear algebra

an introduction to engineering course

an ethics course

Last edited:

kindly advise me which is the best undergrad major in engineering for sustainable development as a whole including clean energy esp. fuel cells, smart grid, transportation systems, manufacturing etc. my dream is to be a technology entrepreneur in these areas. i am very good in physics and chemistry..i am considering chemical engineering and EECS...i am equally interested in both but i want to keep my options really broad. i don't like ME so please don't advise the same if possible.

Hi all,
Don't know if this is a little "out there", but here's my question:
Say I'm looking at undergrad courses for Mech Eng. 2 different Unis, one offers BEng in Mech, the other offers BSc.

1) What I've gleaned so far is that the difference is in the accreditation, but what does that mean?
2) Also, what are the differences between BEng and BSc?
3) I intend on gaining work experience after my Bachelor's and prior to my Master's, would there be a stigma attached to BSc grads?

All help is appreciated.

This thread has proven to be very useful for me, so thanks for that! I have another concern though. When I was young, around 6 or 7, I told my parents that I wanted to be a Civil Engineer because it was really cool. I used to build things with my uncle all the time but then as grade school came along, that part of me slowly left :( I never really did any more hands on work till this day (I'm 18 now). I just started college and I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering and the first video that our engineering professor showed us was this one from Dilbert:

I always liked Math and Science more than my other classes and maintained A's and B's in them. I started loving Math a lot more this past summer because of all the studying I was doing for it. Now I really enjoy doing Math and Physics but the only problem I have is, I don't seem to have this "knack" anymore. I see so many engineering majors tell me about how cool machines are and how they love reading about how they work, but I've seemed to lose that side of me, lose interest. It may sound stupid but, my question is, because I don't have this knack, does that mean I shouldn't be an engineer?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hey guys , I am a still a school students in sri lanka. I am supposed to sit for my local A Level exam in next year but i am doing london (UK) A Levels(edexcel).I am studying maths and physics. I am highly inspired by aircraft and aviation.

My first Question:- what is best subject that i can do as a third subject with the above subjects to become a aeronautical engineer. (Chemistry is not an option)

My second Question:- I am not a genius in maths or physics , its just that i understand the theory but when its time to put everything to gather in the paper it take just bit more time and i can't sit down in one place for days and figure out a problem but if i see way i will go after it no matter what and I am not good at waiting things for happen too. I am really keen to how and what make things work.I believe i am good at practical work than theoretical work.Well my question is will i be able to do aeronautical engineering without struggling than the usual?

My third Question:- what are the good universities for aeronautical engineering ?

My forth Question:- If i do aeronautical engineering what would be situation in job opportunities when i graduate?(hope it is good salary)

Whatever you decide, you should improve your English language writing to a more professional level. In which countries were you considering going to university?

Sorry for the delay and about what you pointed out ,I will work on that.
Well i was considering UK,AUS,France,Germany and maybe USA .

I'm a first year undergraduate student taking general math/calculus/science courses, so I can switch out to any major within engineering, science, and even business. I'm in Canada.

I don't know if engineering is right for me, and if it is, I'm not sure which one. Ultimately, I'm looking for a degree that will be versatile and allow me to work in different fields. I have a thing for high technology, whether it's the latest computer components to hit the market to nanotechnology in general to laser/optics application. I thought engineering would be good for that, though I'm debating between electrical, mechanical, and chemical engineering. I don't really like chemistry, but I am willing to go through the degree if it means several good career prospects. I was also thinking about computer science and perhaps software engineering, I like computers a lot but I'm not entirely sure if I want to program forever.

Finally, I was considering business/finance. The reason being is that I was attracted by the ease of finding employment and the high salary jumps (I've read that you hit the glass ceiling relatively quick as an engineer). I fancy the idea of living in a big city and working in the heart of downtown, it seems as the finance sector would satisfy that. The only problem is, I don't know if I would like finance. I do enjoy my maths and sciences, so I think engineering would be better, but it might be too technical too. I'm just thoroughly confused, is there any advice that anyone can give me? If you need more information, let me know and I'll write it here. Thanks a bunch!

Greetings! I am currently in the us navy as an electronics technician. My interest and dream is to become an electrical engineer. I've been in the navy for nearly 4 years. I am 24, and obligated to 4.5 more years of service. The command I will be going to is fairly rigorous, but it will be 4 months deployed, and 4 months back on shore. My question to you is, is it feasible, which at this point I will try still, but is it feasible to dibble dabble and take one class at a time to work towards an electrical engineering degree? or does this require full time school? I don't plan on waiting until I'm out of the navy, because 28 seems too old to begin education for electrical engineering.

Since I've been in I have not had one opportunity to take classes, but hopefully my next command will allow it, at least one or two classes at a time.

is Chemical or Biological engineering totally different from the civil and mechanical engineering which might require a higher level of maths?

Hyperfluxe said:
I'm a first year undergraduate student taking general math/calculus/science courses, so I can switch out to any major within engineering, science, and even business. I'm in Canada.

I don't know if engineering is right for me, and if it is, I'm not sure which one. Ultimately, I'm looking for a degree that will be versatile and allow me to work in different fields. I have a thing for high technology, whether it's the latest computer components to hit the market to nanotechnology in general to laser/optics application. I thought engineering would be good for that, though I'm debating between electrical, mechanical, and chemical engineering. I don't really like chemistry, but I am willing to go through the degree if it means several good career prospects. I was also thinking about computer science and perhaps software engineering, I like computers a lot but I'm not entirely sure if I want to program forever.

Finally, I was considering business/finance. The reason being is that I was attracted by the ease of finding employment and the high salary jumps (I've read that you hit the glass ceiling relatively quick as an engineer). I fancy the idea of living in a big city and working in the heart of downtown, it seems as the finance sector would satisfy that. The only problem is, I don't know if I would like finance. I do enjoy my maths and sciences, so I think engineering would be better, but it might be too technical too. I'm just thoroughly confused, is there any advice that anyone can give me? If you need more information, let me know and I'll write it here. Thanks a bunch!
I got this information from my University website. According the my Engineering department, Computer Engineers topped the list for highest income following graduation. Here: http://www.forbes.com/2008/06/18/college-majors-lucrative-lead-cx_kb_0618majors.html

miniradman said:
is Chemical or Biological engineering totally different from the civil and mechanical engineering which might require a higher level of maths?

At my University, ALL of the Engineering disciplines are required to take 4 calculus classes, Calculus I, II, III, IV.

miniradman said:
Well, chemical, biological, civil and mechanical are different, although civil and mechanical are somwhat more related or overlapped, particularly in the area of mechanics. All engineering disciplines require high level maths, especially as one ascends to more complicated or higher level problems.

Bit of background about me. It's a bit long, but I really need advice.

I am a 24 year old living in an economically hard hit area of the country. I have dual degrees in psychology and english, and am currently working in a job that doesn't require my degrees. Originally, I went to school majoring in psychology and minoring in English because I wanted to get a Ph.D in psychology so I could get into counseling. About halfway through my college career, my parents advised me that going to medical school to be a psychiatrist would be much more lucrative. So I got into premed, but the courses just destroyed me. I struggled in math, physics, and chemistry mostly. I would always go to my professors' office hours, do the study guides, and study, but I always struggled and my GPA nosedived. Eventually, I have to drop out of premed, so I decided to turn the minor in English to a major and I finished with both.

I am beyond depressed at the "stigma" that my field of study gets online through people who don't think it's a "real" degree or that I "partied" and got drunk the whole time. I busted my butt for those two degrees, and when I was in premed i did everything I could to succeed, but it just wasn't for me. My parents were helping to finance my education, and I felt so guilty for the waste that was premed. Even now I am deeply depressed, and this job market coupled with the stabbing things that people say about people like myself just cut deep.

Which is why I am debating between going back to school for either an MBA or to get a bachelors in Engineering. Maybe, despite my past struggles, something good can come from a second run. Maybe eventually I can find a job with my two degrees. I don't know. I am tired of being told I studied something useless and that I am dumb and worthless. Since everyone says "major in engineering", maybe I should too. The premed thing didn't work out, but who knows? Maybe a second run will be better in my physics and math.

Thanks for reading.

Don't just major in Engineering just because someone says to, or its the "cool" thing to do. It's hard to excel in something if you're not entirely in it.

Can someone please answer a question I have about engineering:

I'm a year 10 student in Australia and will be doing 2 unit Mathematics next year and 2013. Should I do more units of maths as I plan on doing engineering when I finish year 12? I don't want to be catching up during the first year of my course. Thanks.

Hiya all,
Its probably been discussed a few times here, but just wondering, how difficult is the first year in civil engineering? Might as well also ask the same question for petroleum engineering?
I've got a high interest in both fields but am stuck in which to choose and I have no interest for any other fields to study at university.
With civil engineering, I've attached a exam paper I've found on the web and was wondering what year of uni it will apply to.
I'm, to be honest, mediocre in Maths and physics. I have strengths in some areas such as algebra and differention and integration, but weaknesses mainly in trig. In physics I struggle mostly with circular motion and making sense of some of the exam questions sometimes. How would you think I will be able to fare in CE and PE?

Also how difficult is CE compared to PE?

Thanks all, I know that's a lot of questions but I will be giving you more as I remember them as I have got a few questions floating around :)

EDIT: BTW I'm in the UK and looking to go to Portsmouth university

EDIT: Also, what sort of equations are we looking to do? Whats the most complex and medium difficultly equation/math would I encounter?

Also here's the link to the upload (All credits go to author whoever they may be): http://www.scribd.com/doc/70010063/GATE-CE-2008

Last edited:

I'd say CE has a decent amount of trig--just judging from the questions that seems to be a general CE exam (maybe 3rd year out of a 4 year program).

I would suggest you not ask about the difficulty of a program and try to decide whether or not YOU like the subject. Nevertheless, I've heard CE is one of the "easier" engineering programs; I'd assume PE is a little more difficult (just because of how detailed it must be). Both will involve lots of math and calculations, however, I can say that after a while in math, physics and general engineering classes the math itself tends to take a back-seat in difficulty when compared to the actual subject matter--the hardest part of engineering is truly getting a grasp of the WHY and not the calculations themselves--IMO, of course. BTW, I'm in mechanical so understand my comments regarding CE are derived from personal interactions (CE friends) and assumptions (possibly inaccurate).

should you become an engineer?
-ask yourself: do you love the nature around you? Do you love humanity? Do you want to contribute to humanity?

Is engineering difficult?
-ask yourself: do you base all your actions on reason? If yes then engineering is an amazement, if no then you are baseless, go for psychology.

first decide upon above two, then try to know a lot of things from all possible sources. you have to make a fight to know what you love. you may come across something and say "this is it" but actually, it might not be! Try to know more about it and other things working and needed in this world. know yourself more and more, finally set priorities and go for one. no field is bad.

I am currently in High School.I have always found engineering interesting so for the last 3 years and my senior year,which i am currently in,i have taken a engineering course trying to figure out is this what i want to do in college.
i took IED(intro to engineering design)i learned Inventor autodesk,how to sketch,and just some fun basic projects of building.I loved that class
In my sophmore year of high school i took another class. AG(architectural design)It was interseting to talk about the framing of the house but not as much as IED.i also learned how to use programs like CAD autodesk,and revit.
In my junior year i took POE this was a very interesting class for me.Similar to IED instead of building on the computer we built actual models.some projects were SMET2,Ballistic Device,Mouse trap car.I really enjoyed it.
Now in my senior year i am taking a civil engineering class.Right now i feel that although it is kinda interesting it is not and fun as IED or POE.
Also in my junior and senior year i made a engineering club TSA where i rebuilt a piston and took it to competition.I really love engineering but because i am only in high school i fear that because i have not had enough life experience will i still be a good engineer in the future?
I am decent in math.but sometimes i struggle a little.i am applying to college and i am just wondering is this really the right path for me? i want to become either a mechanical or civil engineer but i am leaning towards mechanical.
I hope you guys can reply soon.i am pretty anxious because this is my last year in high school then i am shipped off to college

simple: if u fancy machine making and using, go for mech.
if you love mother Earth more, want to stay close to nature etc., go for civil. Both are great.

Since i could ever remember i had the childhood that seems like everyone on this forum (tinkering, building etc). I wasn't great at math through high school but i wasn't horrible either. Id say a c or sometimes squeaking off a low low B. Anyway, I've wanted to go to school for engineering but i believe my early college immaturity led me to finishing school with a business degree. (This obviously disturbs me because i wouldn't be writing in this forum). So, basically, I am thinking about going back to school like many others to pursue what they really want. I have always had a passion for building things since i can remember, the typical childhood legos, always was creative, and love doing things hands on. I have been thinking of taking up civil engineering but am hesitant not only because of the money aspect of going back to school, but wondering if i would really enjoy it. I would love to at least try since it is what i always wanted to study. Um, i know that you can get into a sort of structural aspect of the field, and i was wondering if its a little on the architectural side? (meaning a little more design oriented) Don't get me wrong i like physics, math is ehhhhh, and i like science also. Ha... I am just apprehensive about starting over... anyway, thanks if you can give me some insight into ANY of this babble...ha

The first 2 or so years are VERY math and physics intensive. You have to at least be able to TOLERATE higher level mathematics (and enjoy the "Oh so that's how that works..." aspect of physics) to get through ANY engineering degree--IMO, at least. I have friends in school who hate their courses and as a result they make a simple course VERY difficult. Take thermodynamics--everyone always complains about how difficult it is--I personally found introductory e and m harder because I simply DISLIKED the material (being generous with dislike here) but I LOVED thermo and found it rather direct and simple.

The tinkering aspect is great it's okay if you're not the best mathematician in the world but you have to at least ENJOY the subject matter.

Just my 2 cents--I am in mechanical BTW (but the first 2 years are pretty much the same for all fields).

How much can I incorporate art with an engineering undergrad?

I like aesthetics and design. I like working with branding and company image. I've always had a fascination with soccer cleats. I admire the craftmanship, materials, structure, and of course aesthetics. However, I realized that what I like most about them is shown in the appearance of the item. Although it would be cool to create the boot from the ground up so to speak, I acknowledge that I may be only interested in it because it is relevant to the final product. I also realized that it's probably unlikely for a company to employ a person to engineer a shoe as well as do the design.

Boots are just one example of a product I've aspired to work with. It can be anything with design. It seems like I enjoy more of the end product of things so I am questioning my choice right now as a mechanical engineer. I've had this doubt for a while now (only a 2nd year) and have been working towards this degree to use as a backup. To me, it seems like it's a lot of work for a backup and I feel I'm not moving forward to what I want.

I will just add that I have had a hard time with my Electrical Engineering degree due to the departments lack of theory, as well as proofs for any formulas that are used. Thus far, it appears to be more common to memorize the way in which a device acts, rather then why.
I am executing both a degree in Electrical Engineering and Physics, I can say there is a HUGE difference between the ways in which they are presented. It seems a lot of the Engineering students are blindly using equations, and most simply accept it.

I'm really considering going back to school for engineering and could use some advice.

I'm currently 25 years old, and graduated a couple years ago with a degree in economics. Since then I've been working (unrelated to my degree), and just feel like I want something more. I was always intrigued by math and science. I chose economics because I figured I'm "OK" in math, but not good enough to go through with the required math for engineering and science degrees. I'm not bad at math (not great either), but it was more laziness that held me back.

Since graduating I've thought about going back for engineering, but I keep talking myself out of it. The main thing that is holding me back is money. I don't have much saved up now, and I still have $30k of debt from undergrad. If I went back to school it would hopefully be at a state school (Rutgers most likely).

I don't regret my coursework in economics. I enjoyed it while I did it. The career prospects were less than stellar though, and I'm more intrigued by science than by finance and economics. Also, I like the idea of engineers actually contributing something to society... is that a jaded view? Is it a case of "the grass is greener?"

Overall, I think I'm finally done talking myself out of it and would like to make the leap. Any opinions would truly be helpful.

I'm in my last year of high school now, and am considering taking up naval architecture. I understand that it's a part of mechanical engineering, and I've always had an interest in ships and how they work.

Can anyone guide me as to if this is a good career and if there are prospects in it or not? Thanks.

Ranzar said:
I am still in high-school ,17 years old (almost 18) ,but I couldn't stop thinking about my future and what I should have my mind set on.

Last year ,I was in love with Aerospace physics.

But in the last two weeks ,I tend to like engineering ,building robots ,looking forward to doing projects like building spaceships. And I also like programming ,the idea of building a machine + building the program that is like it's brain is something that gets me VERY exited and helps me escape all the high-school attraction (girls ,fun etc) and concentrate on my studies.

But today ,my physics teacher talked to me about Quantum physics ,and the idea of understanding the very WHY tends me so much.

Thus ,I find myself lost ,I don't know what I want anymore ,and I know it's high-school and it's early but believe me ,it helps me to get my mind set on something ,and I can study better and have more confidence.

If it helps ,I want to know what should I think about being ? A physicist ? or an Engineer ? I want something that involves building things ,programming ,maybe Aerospace ,and using physics and the understanding of the how.

Ranzar said:
My question got answered ,thanks :)

I know that this post is nearly two years old, but could you please tell me your answer and how you decided?

i like math and am good at it, on the other hand i like physics but i always get a hard time solving it's related questions, and am really confused on which major should i go for??

econ2engineer said:
I'm really considering going back to school for engineering and could use some advice.

I'm currently 25 years old, and graduated a couple years ago with a degree in economics. Since then I've been working (unrelated to my degree), and just feel like I want something more. I was always intrigued by math and science. I chose economics because I figured I'm "OK" in math, but not good enough to go through with the required math for engineering and science degrees. I'm not bad at math (not great either), but it was more laziness that held me back.

Since graduating I've thought about going back for engineering, but I keep talking myself out of it. The main thing that is holding me back is money. I don't have much saved up now, and I still have $30k of debt from undergrad. If I went back to school it would hopefully be at a state school (Rutgers most likely).

I don't regret my coursework in economics. I enjoyed it while I did it. The career prospects were less than stellar though, and I'm more intrigued by science than by finance and economics. Also, I like the idea of engineers actually contributing something to society... is that a jaded view? Is it a case of "the grass is greener?"

Overall, I think I'm finally done talking myself out of it and would like to make the leap. Any opinions would truly be helpful.

No joke, this sounds SO MUCH like me that I checked the name of the poster to see if it had been me a few years back. (I'm 28 now). You and I are so much alike. I also graduated in Econ and although I am working in a finance field I always felt that engineering would contribute to society while any financial work is just maintaining society.

Go for it, I think , depending on where you got your loan from, you can pause them while you return to school. Else start taking courses in Community college, especially math. and slowly build up from there.

I just finally applied to go back to school for another bachelors. Mechanical Eng. I'm stoked. I hope things go well for you : )

sandplasma said:
I just finally applied to go back to school for another bachelors. Mechanical Eng. I'm stoked.

Haha, excuse the pun.

annoying said:
How much can I incorporate art with an engineering undergrad?

I like aesthetics and design. I like working with branding and company image. I've always had a fascination with soccer cleats. I admire the craftmanship, materials, structure, and of course aesthetics. However, I realized that what I like most about them is shown in the appearance of the item. Although it would be cool to create the boot from the ground up so to speak, I acknowledge that I may be only interested in it because it is relevant to the final product. I also realized that it's probably unlikely for a company to employ a person to engineer a shoe as well as do the design.

Boots are just one example of a product I've aspired to work with. It can be anything with design. It seems like I enjoy more of the end product of things so I am questioning my choice right now as a mechanical engineer. I've had this doubt for a while now (only a 2nd year) and have been working towards this degree to use as a backup. To me, it seems like it's a lot of work for a backup and I feel I'm not moving forward to what I want.

What you need to study is another branch of engineering: Industrial Design.

It's perfect for your description, and yes companies like Nike would hire you for designing a shoe. Industrial designers have to worry about aesthetics, cheap manufacturing, environment and overall a way to incorporate those attributes for client's satisfaction. When there's an Industrial Designer involved in a project, is that person's job to investigate and decide how the aesthetics and the physical form of the product will affect the end user. An industrial designer has a strong knowledge in Mechanical Engineering, specially in Materials Science. Even if the end product is an electronic, the industrial designer may not fully understand how it works, but will make it look as good, and beneficial as possible for the end customer.

If you are still interested, you should watch a movie called Objectify. The first minutes of the movie are VERY interesting for any kind of engineering student (specially for an Industrial Designer). The other minutes are not worth watching though.

Take a look at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_design

Last edited:

Gatsby2887 said:
I am tired of being told I studied something useless and that I am dumb and worthless. Since everyone says "major in engineering", maybe I should too. The premed thing didn't work out, but who knows? Maybe a second run will be better in my physics and math.

I really don't think you should do engineering because everyone tells you too. If you think you'd love it, are good at it, and are genuinely interested in it, I would say go for it. However you said you struggled in pre-med, and I know for a fact that pre-med physics is a lot easier than the physics you'll be doing in engineering, and almost every course you will take will involve calculus in some way, so if you don't have a solid base in math, then you will find engineering pretty difficult. I don't know much about what you learn in an MBA program but that seems like the better option for you to be honest. It will take you less time to complete than an engineering degree and is also a very useful and versatile degree.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I am really struggling. I feel like engineering is the only major that leads to a career these days, and it's keeping me from picking a major. I'm a freshman in college and I'm undecided about my major/career. My problem is that I love a lot of things and don't want to narrow it down. I work really hard in school and I'm willing to put a lot of time and effort into school to better my future. There are so many things I want to study in college. Over the years, I like math more and more. However, I don't want to stop classes that aren't strictly math. I want to learn Spanish, Arabic, Psychology, Chem, Bio, Physics (not so much but I only had it once with a bad teacher so things could change), Physiology, Music, Art, Computers/Technology, and maybe a Shakespeare class. I like too many things. My dad is a doctor and my mom is a nurse and both of them said I would be a great doctor because I have caring personality and I'm bubbly and I'm a "people" person. However, I don't want to major in Bio because if I can't do medicine, it doesn't leave me with many career options. I like kids and can see myself doing Pediatrics, but I'm not completely sure and medicine is changing so much. Physical therapy is another option, but after volunteering at a PT clinic, it seems too boring and not challenging enough for me. I like drawing, cooking, wood shop, etc. and I appreciate understanding "why" things work, so I thought of engineering, but I feel like my extroverted personality wouldn't help me in the field. Also, I want to work one-on-one with the people I affect and help them, and engineers don't really do that. From what I know, they work a lot with their team or alone. Teaching is another option, but I wouldn't want to do high school or middle school. I think elementary would be best, but I know I wouldn't like teaching at that level. I would love to teach something complex, like calculus. My dad said I could be a college professor, but I feel like there's a lot of pressure to research and it's hard to get tenure because many schools kick professors out before they can. Also, I know I wouldn't want to work with college students. I think I'd like teaching, but maybe I could do it as a second career? I like so much so maybe I could have one job for a good 25 years and then teach when my kids are done with their college education. I also thought of being an actuary, but I don't like how they work alone and in an office. I care about the environment and there is certainly a lot that needs to be fixed. I am so lost and stressed about my future. There is so much for me to choose, but I just don't know what. Any help?

Edit: my first semester I took Calculus, English (required), Spanish (gen-ed), and Psych (gen-ed). Next semester I'm taking Calc 2, Chemistry I, another Spanish class, and I want to switch my last course so that's not important.