Biomedical engineer vs Biomedical Physics

In summary, for those interested in pursuing a career in biomedical engineering, there are various paths one can take. It is possible to enter the field with a mechanical engineering degree and receive on-the-job training, or pursue a master's degree in biomedical engineering with a mechanical engineering background. Additionally, some universities offer a dual major in biomedical physics and mechanical engineering, which may increase chances of obtaining a well-paid BME job. It is also worth considering the admission requirements for graduate programs and job positions in order to determine the necessary skills for success in the field.
nicolasg
I'm a freshman at SIUC and right now my major is mechanical engineering. In the future I want to make prosthetics which is into biomedical engineering. I read that it is possible to get a job as a biomedical engineer with a mechanical engineer degree with some on the job training. I also read that I can go to graduate school for a master's in biomedical engineering with a mechanical engineering degree. My university offers Biomedical Physics. If I duel major in biomedical physics and mechanical engineering, do I have a good chance of getting a well paid biomedical engineering job? Also, there is a few schools that offer biomedical engineering as a bachelor's degree major. Would I have a better chance transferring to a school that has it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Biomedical engineering is one of those disciplines and professions that can have a fairly broad interpretation. Most of the people I know working as BMEs (sample of about a dozen) came through electrical engineering in undergrad and specialized in BME at the graduate level. It might be worth your while to look up some of the graduate programs you're interested in and see what they list as admission requirements. For that matter, if you're interested in working right after undergrad, look up some positions for jobs that you're interested in and see what they list as requirements.

Often, it's not so much what your degree says that gets you the job, rather, it's the skills that you bring to the table (which are related to the courses you've taken).

^Yes, the EE undergrad to BME grad transition seems very common. My sister did that.

1) What is the main difference between a biomedical engineer and a biomedical physicist?

A biomedical engineer focuses on developing technology and devices for medical applications, while a biomedical physicist focuses on using physics principles to understand and improve medical processes and treatments.

2) What kind of education and training is required for a career in biomedical engineering or biomedical physics?

Both careers typically require at least a Bachelor's degree in their respective fields, with many professionals also obtaining advanced degrees such as a Master's or PhD. Both fields also require ongoing education and training to stay updated on advancements and new technologies.

3) Can someone with a degree in biomedical engineering also work as a biomedical physicist?

While there may be some overlap in the skills and knowledge required for both careers, it is not common for someone to work in both fields. A degree in biomedical engineering focuses more on engineering principles, while a degree in biomedical physics focuses more on physics principles.

4) What types of industries or organizations do biomedical engineers and biomedical physicists typically work in?

Both careers have a wide range of potential industries and organizations they can work in, including hospitals, research institutions, medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, and government agencies.

5) How do the salaries and job outlooks for biomedical engineers compare to those of biomedical physicists?

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for biomedical engineers in 2019 was $91,410, while the median annual salary for biomedical physicists was $122,850. Both careers have a positive job outlook, with employment in these fields projected to grow faster than average for all occupations.