Book on Strenght of materials

In summary, for Strength of Materials, the recommended book is "Materials Science" by Anderson et al. (Chapman and Hall, 4th Ed) which is a handy reference and covers the course very well. Another good option is "Mechanics and Strength of Materials" by Marquez, which has a lot of exercises and examples and visually explains theorems. The book by GH Rider is not familiar and "Strength of Materials" by Andrew Pytel is also a good choice for its online accessibility.
R Power
Which book would you recommend for Strenght of Materials for mechanincal engineering student. Please don't tell me book on the basis of problem sets. I have my book which contains numerous problems but I want a book which explains the concept form very basic to deep.

BTW how is the book by GH Rider.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have a copy of Materials Science by Anderson et al (Chapman and Hall, 4th Ed) which is a handy reference - ISBN 978-0412341502.

what about gh rider

what about gh rider

Couldn't tell you, I never heard of him or his book.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Book on Strenght of materials

1. What is the purpose of a book on strength of materials?

A book on strength of materials is meant to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and mechanics behind how different materials respond to applied forces. It is used to guide engineers and designers in selecting the appropriate materials for various applications and to ensure the structural integrity and safety of a design.

2. What topics are typically covered in a book on strength of materials?

A book on strength of materials typically covers topics such as stress and strain analysis, material properties, axial and bending stress, torsion, and various failure criteria. It may also include discussions on composite materials, fatigue, and non-linear behavior of materials.

3. Is a book on strength of materials only relevant to certain industries?

No, the principles of strength of materials are applicable to a wide range of industries and fields, including mechanical, civil, and aerospace engineering, architecture, and material science. Understanding the behavior of materials under different loading conditions is essential in many applications.

4. Do I need a strong background in math and science to understand a book on strength of materials?

While a strong foundation in math and science is helpful, most books on strength of materials are written in a way that is accessible to readers with varying levels of technical knowledge. Some books may even include practical examples and illustrations to aid in understanding complex concepts.

5. Are there any notable books on strength of materials that are commonly used as references?

Yes, there are many notable books on strength of materials, such as "Mechanics of Materials" by R.C. Hibbeler, "Strength of Materials" by Timoshenko and Gere, and "Introduction to Solid Mechanics" by Shames and Pitarresi. These books are commonly used as references in engineering and material science courses and are highly recommended for those interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the subject.