Calculate net charge with nonuniform electric field

In summary: The result of the integrals over y will be in y units. What are the units of charge?In summary, the electric field within a cubical volume with sides of 1.05 m is given by E=E0(1+z/a)i+E0(z/a)j, where E0=1.25 N/C and a=1.05 m. To determine the net charge within the cube, one must calculate the net flux through all six faces of the cube, using the formula φe=∫E⋅dA=qenc/ε0. The integrals over the x and y directions will result in incorrect units, as E is independent of x and y. The correct integrals to use are φ
ooohffff

Homework Statement

In a cubical volume, 1.05 m on a side, the electric field is given by the formula below, where E0 = 1.25 N/C and a = 1.05 m.

boldE.gif
= E0(1 + z/a) i + E0(z/a) j

The cube has its sides parallel to the coordinate axes, see the figure. Determine the net charge within the cube.

22-43.gif

Homework Equations

φe = ∫E⋅dA = qenc0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I know that I need to calculate the net flux through all the 6 faces of the cube in order to solve for qenc. I know that φ+z and φ-z are equal to 0.

I think I am doing something wrong because it seems like they would cancel out?

φ+x = E0 a2 ∫ (1+z/a) dz
φ-x = -E0 a2 ∫ (1+z/a) dz
φ+y = E0 a2 ∫ (z/a) dz
φ-y = -E0 a2 ∫ (z/a) dz

Also, I would evaluate the integrals from 0 to a right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ooohffff said:

Homework Statement

In a cubical volume, 1.05 m on a side, the electric field is given by the formula below, where E0 = 1.25 N/C and a = 1.05 m.

boldE.gif
= E0(1 + z/a) i + E0(z/a) j

The cube has its sides parallel to the coordinate axes, see the figure. Determine the net charge within the cube.

22-43.gif

Homework Equations

φe = ∫E⋅dA = qenc0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I know that I need to calculate the net flux through all the 6 faces of the cube in order to solve for qenc. I know that φ+z and φ-z are equal to 0.

φ+x = E0 a2 ∫ (1+z/a) dz
φ-x = -E0 a2 ∫ (1+z/a) dz
φ+y = E0 a2 ∫ (z/a) dz
φ-y = -E0 a2 ∫ (z/a) dz

Also, I would evaluate the integrals from 0 to a right?
You have done a lot correct.

The units will be wrong.

Where does a2 come from ?

Hello!

ooohffff said:
I would evaluate the integrals from 0 to a right?
Yes.
ooohffff said:
You don't think this is possible? Notice that for a particular ##z##, ##E## remains constant throughout the object. Also, what is the definition of flux?

SammyS said:
You have done a lot correct.

The units will be wrong.

Where does a2 come from ?

I think I was getting confused between ∫ E⋅dA and E⋅A, but since I'm doing the integral one then I don't need a2. So,

φ+x = E0 ∫ (1+z/a) dz
φ-x = -E0 ∫ (1+z/a) dz
φ+y = E0 ∫ (z/a) dz
φ-y = -E0 ∫ (z/a) dz

from 0 to a.

ooohffff said:
I think I was getting confused between ∫ E⋅dA and E⋅A, but since I'm doing the integral one then I don't need a2. So,

φ+x = E0 ∫ (1+z/a) dz
φ-x = -E0 ∫ (1+z/a) dz
φ+y = E0 ∫ (z/a) dz
φ-y = -E0 ∫ (z/a) dz

from 0 to a.
The units are also incorrect this time.

You need to integrate over y for some & over x for others. Since E is independent of x & y the result of those is easy.

1. What is a nonuniform electric field?

A nonuniform electric field is one in which the strength and direction of the electric field varies at different points in space. This can be caused by the presence of multiple charges or varying distances from a point charge.

2. How do you calculate net charge with a nonuniform electric field?

To calculate net charge with a nonuniform electric field, you must first determine the electric field at each point in space. Then, you can use the principle of superposition to add up the contributions of each electric field to find the net electric field at a specific point.

3. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that the net electric field at any point in space is equal to the sum of the individual electric fields created by each charge present. This principle is used to calculate the net electric field in situations where there are multiple sources of electric fields.

4. Can a nonuniform electric field have a net charge of zero?

Yes, a nonuniform electric field can have a net charge of zero. This can occur when the electric field vectors at different points in space cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating net charge with a nonuniform electric field?

Calculating net charge with a nonuniform electric field is important in various fields, such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and physics. It is used to understand and design complex electrical systems, such as electronic circuits, antennas, and particle accelerators.