Calculus: Verify Thick Walled Cylinder Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a system of two ordinary differential equations and Lame's exact solutions for a thick walled cylinder loaded by internal pressure. The next step is to integrate the equations to obtain an equation for U and radial stress. The person has tried to substitute the equations but gets stuck with integration constants and is seeking suggestions. They also mention being confused about the integration process due to the boundary conditions.
Ketav

Homework Statement

I have a system of two ordinary differential equations as shown below. I have to prove that the Lame's exact solutions for a thick walled cylinder loaded by internal pressure satisfies the equations.

The next step is to integrate the equations to obtain an equation for U and radial stress

upload_2016-11-8_17-15-31.png

Homework Equations

How should i go about the solution of this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to find solutions for this but get stuck after the substitution of all given info[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried to substitute the equations but for the hoop stress I obtain the relationship between b and r as one.
If anyone has any suggestions, I will be very thankful to you.
I have tried solving the differential equations however, i get to a point where I get d2u/dr2 + i/r du/dr + u/r=0 and get stuck with integration constants

Ketav said:
I have tried to substitute the equations but for the hoop stress I obtain the relationship between b and r as one.
If anyone has any suggestions, I will be very thankful to you.
I have tried solving the differential equations however, i get to a point where I get d2u/dr2 + i/r du/dr + u/r=0 and get stuck with integration constants
This is really a math problem. I'm going to move it to the math homework forum. Please show us your work in doing the substitutions.

So I've done this,

now I am confused about the integration. its a double integral but the boundary conditions are for r and sigma r
upload_2016-11-15_1-0-33.png

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It involves the analysis of functions, limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

What is a thick-walled cylinder?

A thick-walled cylinder is a three-dimensional shape that has a thick outer wall and a hollow interior. It is commonly used in engineering and construction, such as in the design of pressure vessels.

What are the equations used to verify a thick-walled cylinder?

The equations used to verify a thick-walled cylinder are the stress and strain equations. These include the radial stress equation, hoop stress equation, and longitudinal stress equation. These equations are used to determine the structural integrity of the cylinder under different loads and pressures.

How do you use calculus to verify the equations for a thick-walled cylinder?

Calculus is used to derive the equations for stress and strain in a thick-walled cylinder. By applying principles of differentiation and integration, the equations can be derived from the basic definition of stress and strain.

Why is it important to verify the equations for a thick-walled cylinder?

Verifying the equations for a thick-walled cylinder is important to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the cylinder. These equations help engineers and scientists determine the maximum stress and strain that the cylinder can withstand, which is crucial in designing and constructing safe and efficient structures.