Can the DTFT of a Unit Step Function be Simplified for u(n) - u(n-L)?

In summary, the person is trying to find the DTFT of the following: where u(n) is the unit step function. They use the formula for a DTFT and get the following: 1+{{\rm e}^{-i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-2\,i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-3\,i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-4\,i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-5\,i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-6\,i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-7\,i\ome
JonathanT
So I'm trying to find the DTFT of the following; where u(n) is the unit step function.

[itex]u \left( n \right) =\cases{0&$n<0$\cr 1&$0\leq n$\cr}[/itex]

I want to find the DTFT of

[itex]u \left( n \right) -2\,u \left( n-8 \right) +u \left( n-16 \right)[/itex]

Which ends up being a piecewise defined function looking like

[itex]u \left( n \right) -2\,u \left( n-8 \right) +u \left( n-16 \right) = \cases{1&$0\leq n$\ and \ $n\leq 7$\cr -1&$8\leq n$\ and \ $n\leq 15$\cr}[/itex]

With the function zero elsewhere.

I plug this into the formula for a DTFT and get the following:

[itex]1+{{\rm e}^{-i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-2\,i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-3\,i\omega}}
+{{\rm e}^{-4\,i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-5\,i\omega}}+{{\rm e}^{-6\,i\omega
}}+{{\rm e}^{-7\,i\omega}}-{{\rm e}^{-8\,i\omega}}-{{\rm e}^{-9\,i
\omega}}-{{\rm e}^{-10\,i\omega}}-{{\rm e}^{-11\,i\omega}}-{{\rm e}^{-
12\,i\omega}}-{{\rm e}^{-13\,i\omega}}-{{\rm e}^{-14\,i\omega}}-{
{\rm e}^{-15\,i\omega}}[/itex]

This should be correct, however, it is very ugly and I'm looking for a better form for my answer. I cannot reduce the summation using a harmonic series because the coefficient |a| = 1.

I can keep it in summation form but I feel like I'm missing an easy step that can simplify this.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using this fact to simplify your answer:
$$\sum_{n = 0}^{N-1} x^n = \begin{cases}
\frac{1-x^{N}}{1-x} & \text{ if }x \neq 1 \\
\\
N & \textrm{ if }x = 1
\end{cases}$$

Well I feel stupid. I saw this formula but like I said in my original post I thought I couldn't use it since series wasn't approaching zero. I guess I was being stupid and thinking about infinite series. Since this is finite of course I can use that.

If my math is right I get

[itex]{\frac { \left( 1-{{\rm e}^{-8\,i\omega}} \right) ^{2}}{1-{{\rm e}^{-i\omega}}}}[/itex]

JonathanT said:
Well I feel stupid. I saw this formula but like I said in my original post I thought I couldn't use it since series wasn't approaching zero. I guess I was being stupid and thinking about infinite series. Since this is finite of course I can use that.

If my math is right I get

[itex]{\frac { \left( 1-{{\rm e}^{-8\,i\omega}} \right) ^{2}}{1-{{\rm e}^{-i\omega}}}}[/itex]
I haven't checked your math, but I will mention that you can always simplify expressions involving ##1 - e^{-ix}## by factoring out ##e^{-ix/2}## to obtain ##e^{-ix/2}(e^{ix/2} - e^{-ix/2}) = 2i e^{-ix/2} \sin(x/2)##.

Thanks. I've got it in this form now:

[itex]{\frac {2\,i \left( \sin \left( 4\,\omega \right) \right) ^{2}{{\rm e}^{-15/2\,i\omega}}}{\sin \left( 1/2\,\omega \right) }}[/itex]

After all this I found a formula for any equation in the form u(n) - u(n-L). Thanks for the help.

1. What is the definition of the Discrete Time Fourier Transform (DTFT)?

The Discrete Time Fourier Transform (DTFT) is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals that are discrete in time and periodic in frequency. It is a complex-valued function that represents the frequency spectrum of a discrete-time signal. It is defined as the sum of the signal's values multiplied by a complex exponential function.

2. How is the DTFT calculated for a signal with a unit step function?

The DTFT of a signal with a unit step function is calculated by first expressing the signal as a sum of shifted unit step functions. Then, the properties of the DTFT can be used to find the frequency spectrum of each individual unit step function. Finally, the frequency spectra are summed together to get the overall DTFT of the signal.

3. What is the significance of the unit step function in the DTFT?

The unit step function is often used in the DTFT because it represents a signal that is either zero or one, depending on the value of the independent variable. This allows for simpler calculations and analysis of the frequency spectrum of a signal.

4. Can the DTFT be used for signals that are not discrete and periodic?

No, the DTFT is only applicable to signals that are discrete in time and periodic in frequency. For signals that are continuous in time, the Continuous Time Fourier Transform (CTFT) should be used. For signals that are aperiodic, the Fourier Transform can be used.

5. What are the practical applications of the DTFT with unit step function?

The DTFT with unit step function is commonly used in signal processing and communication systems for analyzing and designing filters, equalizers, and other signal processing techniques. It is also used in digital signal processing to analyze and process discrete-time signals in the frequency domain.