Capacitors in a circuit with switches

In summary, when the switch is opened to connect C1 to C2, the capacitor acquires a charge. When the switch is closed to connect C2 to C1, the capacitor retains the charge.
horsedeg

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit shown in the figure below, where C1 = 4.00 µF, C2 = 7.00 µF, and ΔV = 22.0 V. Capacitor C1 is first charged by closing switch S1. Switch S1 is then opened, and the charged capacitor is connected to the uncharged capacitor by closing S2.
26-p-024.gif

(a) Calculate the initial charge acquired by C1.
(b) Calculate the final charge on each capacitor.

Homework Equations

Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to (a) was easy, though I'm not 100% sure my reasoning is accurate. My reasoning was that voltage across parallel devices is equal, so I just plugged in the voltage on the left device into Q=CV.

I don't really understand (b) though. The solution says "When S1 is opened and S2 is closed, the total charge will remain constant and be shared by the two capacitors." I'm assuming if something opens then it cuts off the connection and if it closes then it creates the connection. I still don't get it though. There must be some concept I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning in case (a) is impeccable. You agree that then opening S1 does not change anything ?
The same reasoning for case (b) "voltage across parallel devices is equal" can be expressed twice using your relevant equation (for C1 and for C2, with the same V -- which is not the battery voltage, though).

Can you describe what you think is happening when C1 is charged, S1 is open and then S2 is closed ?

horsedeg said:
The solution says "When S1 is opened and S2 is closed, the total charge will remain constant and be shared by the two capacitors." I'm assuming if something opens then it cuts off the connection and if it closes then it creates the connection.

If you connect your phone to it's charger the battery will eventually become charged. When you disconnect it does all the charge you put into the battery instantly disappear or...

BvU said:
Can you describe what you think is happening when C1 is charged, S1 is open and then S2 is closed ?
Now that I think about it, of S2 is closed then C1 and C2 would be in parallel, meaning they add to make a single capacitor right?

Likes CWatters
Correct. And is the situation that C1 is charged while C2 is uncharged a stable situation, or will there be something happening ?

I think your reasoning for answer a is not really right, though the answer is. There is no 'voltage across' C2 when S2 is open. There is no across S2.

There is initially when S1 is closed a voltage across only S1, so that's the only one you need to consider, making your result right.

When you ask about missing something, maybe it is that opening S1 isolates the acquired charge; more precisely it isolates the negative charge on the lower plate, and that holds in position the positive one on the upper. After S2 Is closed, charge from both C1 plates can redistribute itself onto C2. It is unnecessary to calculate a voltage, but whatever it is, because of the conductive connections it is the same for both capacitors, and so this charge will redistribute in proportion to the capacitances.

(I think your instinct may be right if you feel uncomfortable and there is something missing. Just breaking - a circuit with no resistance and isolating a charge gave me a feeling of idealisations that could break down :nb) , maybe it shouldn't.)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit with switches?

A capacitor in a circuit with switches is used to store electrical energy and release it when needed. It can also help stabilize the voltage in the circuit.

2. How does a capacitor behave when a switch is closed?

When a switch is closed, the capacitor begins to charge as it allows electrical current to flow through it. The rate of charging depends on the capacitance of the capacitor and the resistance of the circuit.

3. What happens to a capacitor when a switch is open?

When a switch is open, the capacitor is no longer connected to the circuit and therefore cannot charge or discharge. It will retain its stored energy until the switch is closed again.

4. Can a capacitor affect the operation of a switch in a circuit?

Yes, a capacitor can affect the operation of a switch in a circuit. If the capacitor is connected in parallel to the switch, it can help reduce arcing and prolong the lifespan of the switch. However, if the capacitor is connected in series with the switch, it can cause interference and affect the performance of the switch.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using capacitors in a circuit with switches?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using capacitors in a circuit with switches. Capacitors can store a significant amount of electrical energy and if not discharged properly, they can pose a risk of electric shock. It is important to handle and discharge capacitors with caution to avoid any accidents.