Circuit Analysis- Node Voltage Problem

In summary: So I think your colleagues are not correct. Plus, they used 7 equations which is ridiculous.I never saw your calculation for v2. Maybe you just made a mistake and can now find it.EDIT: I think I see what you did - you used KVL for the v1,v2 loop. I never do that. It's not as intuitive as the way I do it.There are 3 loops in this problem. I used the v1,v2 loop and a 12V loop which includes v3. I do not use a loop for the v3,v1,v2 loop because it includes the other two. So you could use that for your second loop.Anyway
CyrilAmethyst
In the attached picture, I have the problem and the equations I've come up with to solve for the requested variables. I have found seven equations for the seven unknowns, however, after plugging them into a calculator my answer is wrong. Which equation(s) is/are wrong, and why?
Relevant equations
Kirchoff's Current Law- sum of currents entering node = sum of currents leaving it
Ohm's Law- Voltage = Current * Resistance

Attachments

• node voltage.png
    node voltage.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CyrilAmethyst. Welcome to the famous Physics Forums. :smile:

I can't spot any mistakes there. Have you substituted your results to find whether any inconsistency shows up? There is always the possibility that the published answer is wrong. :mad:

Last edited:
I also think your equations are correct. However, you are making life hard for yourself. You have really only 2 unlnown nodes, so two equations suffice. (The 12V node is obvious and the node at the bottom of the 1 ohm resistor is obviously 5(12 - v1). So just sum currents at v1 and v2.

NascentOxygen: Thanks for the welcome! I've found help on here from other people posting their problems so I figured I'd see if I could find some help myself. There isn't a published answer, just two of my fellow classmates are coming up with something different. Having substituted the values in, I'm not seeing any blatant inconsistencies, so I think I'm going to have to turn in what I have (with the solved equations, rather) and move on.

rude man: But wouldn't you need the value of Vo to solve that? And to solve for Vo you'd need at least one more equation, and every other possible equation I can think of involves the different currents, so you'd need another... and that's sort of how it escalated to seven equations. While I'll likely have already turned in the assignment by the time you respond, it'd be great if you could show me where I could have had an easier time for the future!

Thank you both so much for your help, regardless!

EDIT: Also, is there a 'thanking' system on these forums, to give you guys credit for answering my question?

Last edited:
CyrilAmethyst; said:
There isn't a published answer, just two of my fellow classmates are coming up with something different. Having substituted the values in, I'm not seeing any blatant inconsistencies, so I think I'm going to have to turn in what I have (with the solved equations, rather) and move on.
What's your answer for V2?

EDIT: Also, is there a 'thanking' system on these forums, to give you guys credit for answering my question?

B
e
l
o
w

Last edited:
CyrilAmethyst said:
rude man: But wouldn't you need the value of Vo to solve that?

Yes, but you know Vo = 12 - v1.

Your two equations, for future reference, would be

(12 - v1)/R2 = (v1 - v2)/R8 + v1/R4 + 3

(v1 - v2)/R8 + 3 = [v2 + 5(12 - v1)]/R1

I have used R1 = 1 ohm, R2 = 2 ohms, etc. for clarification. As always I favor labeling all components and saving numbers for the very end only. That allows units checking term-by-term.

Note that I have substituted -5(12 - v1) for the voltage at the bottom of R1. You could have let that voltage = v3, then the second equation would have been (v1 - v2)/R8 + 3 = (v2 - v3)/R1 and a third equation would go v3 = -5(12 - v1).
[/quote]

EDIT: Also, is there a 'thanking' system on these forums, to give you guys credit for answering my question?[/QUOTE]

There should be a 'thanks' button somewhere; however, it was just announced that the PF sites are being revamped ("PF 4.0"), with a new 'like' button in lieu of the old 'thanks' one. Stay tuned!

Meanwhile - yer' welcome!

Likes 1 person
In the end I got V1=~7V and V2=~24V. I can't check the exact numbers because the paper's already gone in, but several of my colleagues settled on V1=~-10 and V2=~-100. However, one of them seemed to use the same equations as I did at first glance, so perhaps I just made a computational error.

So basically, rude man, you used simply two Kirchoff's Current Law equations, just substituted all of the currents with their equivalents in terms of V1 and V2? I do appreciate all of the help!

I get this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=72440&stc=1&d=1408997391.png

Attachments

• Ans.png
    Ans.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 490
CyrilAmethyst said:
In the end I got V1=~7V and V2=~24V. I can't check the exact numbers because the paper's already gone in, but several of my colleagues settled on V1=~-10 and V2=~-100. However, one of them seemed to use the same equations as I did at first glance, so perhaps I just made a computational error.

So basically, rude man, you used simply two Kirchoff's Current Law equations, just substituted all of the currents with their equivalents in terms of V1 and V2? I do appreciate all of the help!

No, I never use KCL. I think those fake currents are dumb! I did what you partially did - sum currents to zero at v1 and v2, that's all! That's all I ever do, and I've been doing it for 40 years! It minimizes the number of equations (providing you lump all series components together in one impedance).

I got v1 = -10.9V, v2 = -100.4V using my two equations. So Vo = 12 - (-10.9) = + 22.9V.

Last edited:

Related to Circuit Analysis- Node Voltage Problem

What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and understanding electrical circuits to determine the behavior of the electrical components and the flow of current through the circuit.

What is a node in a circuit?

A node is a point in a circuit where two or more components are connected together. It is represented by a dot in a circuit diagram and is used to analyze the voltage and current at that specific point.

What is the node voltage problem?

The node voltage problem is a method of circuit analysis that involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to solve for the voltage at each node in a circuit. This is a common problem in electrical engineering and is used to calculate the voltage drop across individual components in a circuit.

How do you solve a node voltage problem?

To solve a node voltage problem, you first need to label all the nodes in the circuit. Then, using KCL and Ohm's Law, you can set up a system of equations to solve for the voltage at each node. Finally, you can use these values to calculate the voltage drop across individual components in the circuit.

What are the benefits of using node voltage analysis?

Node voltage analysis is a fundamental method in circuit analysis and is used to solve complex circuits with multiple components. It allows for a systematic approach to solving for the voltage at each node, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of a circuit. It is also a useful tool for circuit design and troubleshooting.