Congruence of the sum of terms in a reduced residue system

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if {r1,r2,...rx} is a reduced residue system mod m, then r1 + r2 + ... + rx= 0 mod m. The conversation also explores ideas for proving this for even m, using the fact that phi(m) is even for m>2 and that gcd(a,m)=1 implies gcd(m-a,m)=1. It is ultimately concluded that the elements of the reduced residue system can be split into pairs that sum to m, proving the desired statement.
reyomit

Homework Statement

Prove that if {r1,r2,...rx} is a reduced residue system mod m (where x=[tex]\phi[/tex](m), m>2), then
r1 + r2 + ... + rx= 0 mod m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been able to prove it pretty simply for odd m and for m=2k where k is odd, but for m with higher powers of 2 as a divisor I'm stuck.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If gcd(a,m)=1, what can you say about gcd(m-a,m)?

I see that (a,m)=1 immediately implies that (m-a,m)=1,and used that to prove that
2(r1 + r2 + ... +rx) = 0 mod m.

Then when m is odd 2 has a multiplicative inverse mod m, and we can just multiply by that to get r1 + r2 + ... +rx = 0 mod m.

But when m is even, I'm not totally sure, what to do.

Let me be more explicit, using that (m-a,a)=1 whenever (m,a)=1, I concluded
(m-r1)+(m-r2)+...+(m-rx)=r1+...+rx mod m
and also
(m-r1)+(m-r2)+...+(m-rx)= -r1-r2-...-rx mod m.

So -(r1+...+rx)=r1+...+rx mod m
or 2(r1+...+rx)=0 mod m.

You're making it a little more complex than it is. First, notice that phi(m) is even for m>2. Then if gcd(a,m)=1, then gcd(m-a,m)=1 (as you found), so that both a and m-a are in the reduced residue system.

So, you can split the elements of the reduced residue system into pairs, each of which sums to m.

I feel much the fool.
Thank you.

Related to Congruence of the sum of terms in a reduced residue system

What is congruence?

Congruence is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two objects or numbers that have the same size, shape, or value. In other words, if two objects are congruent, they are identical in every way.

What is a sum of terms in a reduced residue system?

A sum of terms in a reduced residue system refers to adding together a specific set of numbers that are relatively prime to a given modulus (or number). This results in a unique set of numbers that are all congruent to each other modulo the given modulus.

What is a reduced residue system?

A reduced residue system is a set of numbers that are relatively prime to a given modulus (or number). This means that the only common factor between the numbers in the set and the modulus is 1. For example, a reduced residue system modulo 7 would be {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}.

What is the significance of the congruence of the sum of terms in a reduced residue system?

The congruence of the sum of terms in a reduced residue system is significant because it allows us to easily manipulate and perform calculations with large numbers by reducing them to a smaller set of numbers that are congruent to each other modulo a given modulus. This greatly simplifies calculations and makes it easier to find patterns and relationships between numbers.

How is the congruence of the sum of terms in a reduced residue system used in cryptography?

In cryptography, the congruence of the sum of terms in a reduced residue system is used in the RSA algorithm, which is a popular method for encrypting and decrypting messages. The algorithm relies on the fact that it is difficult to factor large numbers into their prime factors, making it difficult to break the encryption. The congruence of the sum of terms in a reduced residue system is used in the calculations involved in the RSA algorithm.