Convergence Time of Moving Points on an Equilateral Triangle

In summary, three points located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle with sides equal to a start moving simultaneously with constant velocity v. The points head towards each other in a radial direction, with a radial speed of vcos(30°). The time taken for the points to converge at the centroid of the triangle is 2a/3v. However, if the triangle is not equilateral, the problem becomes more complex and can be solved by drawing a series of steps or by setting up equations.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Three points are located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides equals a. They all start moving simultaneously with velocity v constant in modulus, with the first point heading continually for the second, the second for the third, and the third for the first. How soon will the points converge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose this one is an easy problem, but i am still not sure if i did it the correct way. I found the original distance of a point from the centroid (where the points converge) which is a/√3 and the component of velocity along the line joining the centroid and a point is vcos(30°), therefore time taken by the points to converge is vcos(30°)/(a/√3)=2a/3v. This matches the answer given in the answer key but i don't understand why this method works here? What if it was not an equilateral triangle? Any explanation on this would help.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav!

Suppose all 3 points have moved a little.
What does the resulting figure look like?
And what is the radial speed then?

Hello ILS! :smile:
I like Serena said:
Suppose all 3 points have moved a little.
What does the resulting figure look like?
It will be still an equilateral triangle.
ILS said:
And what is the radial speed then?
Um..i have no idea on this. :uhh:

Pranav-Arora said:
Hello ILS!

It will be still an equilateral triangle.

Yep!

Um..i have no idea on this.

No? So how did you get vcos(30°)?

I like Serena said:
No? So how did you get vcos(30°)?

I was confused when you said "radial speed". Sorry about that! :redface:

Pranav-Arora said:
I did not understand what you meant by radial speed. Sorry about that!

Ah yes, radial speed is the amount that the distance to the centroid gets shorter per unit of time.

So... does that answer your question?

I like Serena said:
Ah yes, radial speed is the amount that the distance to the centroid gets shorter per unit of time.

So... does that answer your question?

Thanks, but what about my second question? What would happen if the sides were unequal?

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks, but what about my second question? What would happen if the sides were unequal?

Oh yes. Completely missed that. Sorry.

Well, then it becomes a bit more complex doesn't it?
Then you can't use the symmetry anymore.

So what I'd do is draw a non-equilateral triangle - any triangle will do.
Say, a triangle with a base of 2 cm and 10 cm high?
Then take a step of a couple of millimeters in the proper directions and draw the new triangle.
Then repeat a couple of times.
That should give you a clue about what's happening...

Alternatively, you can set up equations and try and solve those.
But that is way more work, and you don't like a lot of work do you?

So I'd first try to draw a couple of steps and see if you can find a pattern.
At worst you'll have a pretty figure!

I like Serena said:
Well, then it becomes a bit more complex doesn't it?
Then you can't use the symmetry anymore.
I was expecting that.

ILS said:
So what I'd do is draw a non-equilateral triangle - any triangle will do.
Then take a step of a couple of millimeters in the proper directions and draw the new triangle.
Then repeat a couple of times.
That should give you a clue about what's happening...

Alternatively, you can set up equations and try and solve those.
Thanks for the tips, i would be sure to use your hints if i encounter any question like this. For now, i am off to bed, getting late here. :smile:

ILS said:
But that is way more work, and you don't like a lot of work do you?
Yes, i hate it. :tongue2:

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes, i hate it.

Ah, but you do like pretty pictures, don't you?

I like Serena said:
Ah, but you do like pretty pictures, don't you?

Yes. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes.

Oh well, sleep tight and dream of rotating triangles that becomes smaller and smaller. :zzz:

1. What is the Irodov kinematics question?

The Irodov kinematics question is a physics problem that is commonly found in I.E. Irodov's book "Problems in General Physics". It involves applying the principles of kinematics, which is the study of motion, to solve a given problem.

2. How do I approach an Irodov kinematics question?

The first step in solving an Irodov kinematics question is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, you can use the equations of kinematics to analyze the given data and determine the unknown quantities. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct equations for the given scenario.

3. What are the common mistakes made when solving Irodov kinematics questions?

One of the most common mistakes is not paying attention to units. It is important to use consistent units throughout the problem and convert them if necessary. Another mistake is using the wrong kinematic equation or not using all the given data in the problem.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for Irodov kinematics questions?

To improve your problem-solving skills, you can practice solving various kinematics problems from different sources, not just Irodov's book. It is also helpful to understand the principles behind the equations and not just memorize them. Additionally, you can seek help from a teacher or tutor to clarify any concepts you are struggling with.

5. Are there any tips for solving Irodov kinematics questions more efficiently?

One tip is to draw a diagram or visualize the scenario to help you better understand the problem. Another tip is to break down the problem into smaller parts and solve each part separately. It is also helpful to check your answer and units to ensure they make sense in the given situation.