Difference in BS and MS Applied Math

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma of pursuing a MS in applied or pure math with a background in applied math. They are unsure of the difference between a MS and a BS in applied math and whether a MS in pure math would be a better option. The conversation also mentions the courses taken for the BS and the requirements for a MS in pure math. The speaker seeks advice on their decision and the necessary courses for a MS in pure math.
tmbrwlf730
Hello everyone. I'm majoring in applied math and physics and was considering going for a MS in math and later if I can a PhD in physics. I'm not sure if I should pursue a MS in applied or pure math because I will be getting a BS in applied math. I'm not sure what would be the difference between a MS and a BS in applied math. I know more work is required in the classes but other than that does anyone know the difference? Should I pursue a MS in pure math instead? Classes I've taken for the BS are matrix algebra, Fourier series, differential equations, probability, statistics, complex variables, modern algebra, intro to analysis, vector analysis, and or course Cal I - III. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have applied for my MS in applied mathematics... I've got a heavy background in applied math and not a ton of pure (only the generic core requirements like analysis and such). Whether it's "more" work than your BS, I don't think anyone can really say without the specifics of your program. I would imagine a course-work only MS in applied math is more of what you've done, but up the stepping stones to the next level. A major research paper, or I gather a full blown thesis, would definitely be more rigorous and demanding; at least it appears that way with friends I have doing math PhD stream right now (in pure maths).

If you want to do an MS in pure math, I would firstly make sure that you know what you want to do in the end... getting a MS in pure math definitely has an opportunity cost if you're not planning to do a PhD. Also your courses look pretty light for the material. At my school, the graduate department recommends at least 2 classes (introductory and next level) real analysis, a course in complex analysis, 2 years of theoretical linear algebra, and 2 years of "foundations", or essentially classes that cover the specifics of logic and set theory and all the goodies that come with it. Then of course, fourth year courses in special topics of pure maths.

Related to Difference in BS and MS Applied Math

What is the difference between a BS and MS in Applied Math?

A BS in Applied Math typically focuses on providing students with a strong foundation in mathematical theory and its applications in various fields. On the other hand, an MS in Applied Math delves deeper into advanced mathematical concepts and their practical applications, and often involves a research component.

What are the career opportunities for someone with a BS in Applied Math?

Graduates with a BS in Applied Math can pursue a variety of career paths, including roles in data analysis, actuarial science, financial modeling, and research. They may also work in industries such as engineering, technology, and government agencies.

What can I expect to learn in a BS in Applied Math program?

A typical BS in Applied Math curriculum includes courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, statistics, and computer science. Students also gain practical skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis.

Do I need a BS in Applied Math before pursuing an MS in Applied Math?

While a BS in Applied Math is not always a requirement for an MS program, it can provide a strong foundation for graduate-level coursework. Additionally, some MS programs may require prerequisite courses in undergraduate math and statistics.

What are the benefits of obtaining an MS in Applied Math?

An MS in Applied Math can lead to advanced career opportunities, such as research positions in academia or industry. It can also provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications, and enhance problem-solving and analytical skills.