Is This Discrete Mathematics Argument Valid?

In summary, the conversation discusses a compound proposition argument involving the weather, train, and a dog sitting on a tuckerbox. The question asks for the truth table and the person is having difficulty finding the correct answer. They have attempted to construct the truth table but are unsure of the question and are asking for help.
gEOdude

Homework Statement

Hey guys I am having a bit of a difficult time with this question, if some one could help me out it would be appreciated, thanks.

Consider the following argument. "If the weather is fine, and the train is early, then the dog will sit on the tuckerbox. The train will be early, (but) also there will be rain. So the dog will not sit on the tuckerbox."Let W mean "the weather will be fine", E mean "the train will come early" and D mean "the dog will sit on the tuckerbox". (THE QUESTION IS ATTATCHED BELOW)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried working out the equation and I got this: I get the following compound propisiton arguments like this for first and second premisis and conclusion: (W v E -> D) ^ (E ^ ~W) -> ~D. I also know that T appears in rows B,D,F and H of the last column and this was confirmed by my teacher. Now I know how to construct the truth table but i keep getting the question wrong, i do not know what I am doing wrong, help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• q1.png
    q1.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
It is impossible to say what you are doing wrong when you don't tell us what you are doing! What wrong answers are you getting?

i DON't know what the answer is to the question I've put, that's all and I am entering the formula above into a truth table that's what I am doing if someone could tell me the question it would be great.

this is what I've done

Attachments

• Optimized-111111-small-min (1).jpg
    Optimized-111111-small-min (1).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 396
HallsofIvy said:
It is impossible to say what you are doing wrong when you don't tell us what you are doing! What wrong answers are you getting?

Attachments

• 111111-small.jpg
    111111-small.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 373

What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures and objects, such as integers, graphs, and propositions. It is used to study and solve problems in fields such as computer science, engineering, and finance.

What are some applications of discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics has a wide range of applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, coding theory, and operations research. It is used to solve real-world problems, design efficient algorithms, and analyze complex systems.

What are the basic concepts in discrete mathematics?

Some of the basic concepts in discrete mathematics include sets, functions, relations, combinatorics, graph theory, and logic. These concepts are used to describe and analyze discrete structures and objects.

What is the difference between discrete mathematics and continuous mathematics?

The main difference between discrete mathematics and continuous mathematics is that discrete mathematics deals with discrete objects and structures, while continuous mathematics deals with continuous objects and structures. In discrete mathematics, numbers and values are finite and countable, whereas in continuous mathematics, they are infinite and uncountable.

What are some common topics in discrete mathematics?

Some common topics in discrete mathematics include logic and proofs, set theory, counting principles, graph theory, algorithms and data structures, and discrete probability. These topics are essential for understanding and solving problems in various fields.