Distillation Column Sieve Tray

In summary: If you are considering only the liquid on the tray in the perforated region, then it would only have a pressure head since there is no friction loss in the holes.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
I'm reading McCabe and Thiele's classic "Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering" section about the design of sieve-plate columns. Below is a figure showing a column. I have a few questions and some clarification would be great.
upload_2016-2-25_16-22-4.jpeg

1. Isn't the weir for plate n-1 simply the downcomer for plane n? What is the distinction between a weir and a downcomer?

2. Is vapor from plane n going both through the perforated region (dashed lines), as well as through the underflow weir? Or strictly the perforated region.

3. Even without weeping, wouldn't at least some liquid go through those holes?

4. The pressure drop across a plate is from the friction loss in the holes and the pressure drop due to the hold-up of liquid on the plate. It is expressed as an equivalent head of liquid ##h_t = h_d + h_l## Since it seems to me the liquid is moving from the downcomer towards the weir, there is friction loss whether or not you have holes. Isn't that friction loss from the vapor coming up the holes? What is the pressure drop from hold-up of liquid on the plate? Is that like an accumulation of liquid on the plate until it reaches the height of the weir over the plate? You can see from the figure that the weir is slightly taller than the plate. I guess I don't understand hydraulically what liquid-hold up pressure drop is.

5. When it speaks of a pressure on a plate, shouldn't that depend on where on the plate you are talking? There should be a vertical pressure difference that allows vapor to flow from one plate through the holes into the next place, as well as horizontal pressure difference that allows the liquid to flow from the downcomer over to the weir.

6. In the operation limits for sieve trays section, it states
At low vapor velocities, the pressure drop is not great enough to prevent liquid from flowing down through some of the holes. This condition is called weeping and is more likely to occur if there is a slight gradient in the liquid head across the plate.
What is liquid head? I have always had a very muddied understanding of the term "head" used in hydraulics. There are velocity heads, pressure heads, liquid heads, every type of head conceivable and it confuses me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the sources, I particularly like the separation processes website. However, I am still confused about what the pressure drop due to liquid hold up means. I don't have a good idea in my head what the heck that means. Is liquid hold-up and liquid head the same thing?

Maylis said:
Is liquid hold-up and liquid head the same thing?
Only if defined to be. Liquid hold-up could also be defined as "the total liquid held on a tray" (my experience). In this case, it would include all the liquid on a tray including in the downcomer and have units of volume.

1. What is a distillation column sieve tray?

A distillation column sieve tray is a type of tray used in a distillation column to separate different components of a liquid mixture. It is a perforated tray with holes or slots that allow vapor to pass through while trapping liquid on the tray. The vapor and liquid then separate and are directed to different parts of the distillation column, where they can be further purified or collected.

2. How does a distillation column sieve tray work?

A distillation column sieve tray works by creating a large surface area for vapor-liquid contact. The vapor from the bottom of the column passes through the tray, and the liquid from the top of the column flows down through the holes or slots. This creates a counter-current flow, allowing the vapor and liquid to interact and separate based on their different physical properties, such as boiling points.

3. What materials are distillation column sieve trays made of?

Distillation column sieve trays can be made of various materials, such as stainless steel, ceramic, or plastic. The choice of material depends on the specific application and the chemical, thermal, and mechanical properties required. For example, stainless steel is preferred for its corrosion resistance, while ceramic is often used for its high temperature resistance.

4. What are the advantages of using a distillation column sieve tray?

Distillation column sieve trays offer several advantages in the distillation process. They provide efficient vapor-liquid contact, allowing for better separation and higher purity products. They also have a simple design and are easy to install and maintain. Additionally, sieve trays are cost-effective and can be used in a wide range of operating conditions.

5. What are the limitations of distillation column sieve trays?

While distillation column sieve trays have many benefits, they also have some limitations. They may not be suitable for separating very light or heavy components, as their efficiency decreases at extreme ends of the boiling point range. Some types of sieve trays may also be prone to fouling or clogging, which can affect their performance. Additionally, sieve trays may not be suitable for high-pressure or corrosive applications, as they may need to be made of more expensive materials.