Engineer with dreams of physics

In summary, the speaker was pressured into pursuing engineering and was not allowed to study physics. They regret missing out on their dream and are now looking to self-study physics. They are seeking recommendations for self-study books and suggest visiting the Physics department to inquire about the program and potentially find similarities in introductory mathematics courses. They also mention the possibility of finding syllabi for courses online.
Ahmad Kishki
i was pressured into engineering, and not allowed to pursue physics. I see that every year (or even semester) that passes by, i am missing out on my dream. I wish to be a physicist, and even if it will mean that i will have to study it all myself. I just want you to recommend some self study books to get me started with physics and the necessary mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmad Kishki said:
i was pressured into engineering, and not allowed to pursue physics. I see that every year (or even semester) that passes by, i am missing out on my dream. I wish to be a physicist, and even if it will mean that i will have to study it all myself. I just want you to recommend some self study books to get me started with physics and the necessary mathematics.
Why not visit the Physics department and ask the staff or faculty about the Physics program. Much of the mathematics in engineering should be the same as physics - at least, that was my experience. Many engineering students take the same introductory mathematics and physics courses as physics majors. One should be able to look at the Physics curriculum and find syllabi for the courses, or the syllabi should be online.

1. What is an "Engineer with dreams of physics"?

An "Engineer with dreams of physics" is a person who has a background in engineering, but also has a strong interest and passion for the field of physics. They may have pursued engineering as a career, but still have a desire to learn and explore the principles and theories of physics.

2. What skills does an "Engineer with dreams of physics" possess?

An "Engineer with dreams of physics" typically possesses a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of engineering principles and concepts. They also have a curiosity and passion for physics, and may have knowledge in areas such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

3. Can an engineer transition into a career in physics?

Yes, an engineer with dreams of physics can certainly transition into a career in physics. Many engineers have a solid foundation in math and science, making it a natural transition to pursue a career in physics. Depending on their specific interests and goals, they may need to further their education or gain experience in specific areas of physics.

4. How can an "Engineer with dreams of physics" combine their two fields?

There are many ways for an "Engineer with dreams of physics" to combine their two fields. They may choose to pursue research or work in a specialized field that combines engineering and physics, such as aerospace engineering or materials science. They may also use their engineering skills to design and build experiments or equipment for physics research.

5. What are the potential career paths for an "Engineer with dreams of physics"?

An "Engineer with dreams of physics" has a variety of potential career paths, depending on their interests and goals. They may choose to work in research and development, academia, or industry. They may also have opportunities in fields such as renewable energy, biotechnology, or data science. The combination of engineering and physics skills can open up many diverse and exciting career options.