Expectation Value of Position for Even Wavefunction

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the expectation value for position and momentum for a wavefunction that satisfies certain conditions. The equation for the second wave function is also mentioned. The individual is unsure about how to proceed with calculating the expectation value for momentum. It is pointed out that the second wave function is actually odd, not even as previously stated. It is suggested to write down the expectation values in terms of the wave function and discuss the mathematics based on the symmetry properties.
hellsteiger

Homework Statement

Hello, I need to calculate the expectation value for position and momentum for a wavefunction that fulfills the following relation:

ψ0(-x)=ψ0(x)=ψ*0(x)

The wave function is normalised.

Homework Equations

There is also a second wave equation that is orthogonal to the first:

ψ1=Nd0/dx

I also need to calculate <x> and <p> for this wavefunction, also normalised.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am tempted to go ahead and say that the expectation value for position for both wavefunctions is 0, as they are both even. As for momentum I am not certain as to how i should proceed, inserting the relevant operator just seems to indicate to me momentum will be zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Correction:

ψ1=Ndψ0/dx

I should point out that ψ1 is actually an odd function, being the derivative of an even function, it is not even as i stated earlier.

Just write down the expectation values of position and momentum in terms of the wave function (the position representation of the quantum state). Then discuss the mathematics given the symmetry properties, i.e., either even or odd, of the wave functions.

Hello! It appears that you are working with a system that has two wavefunctions, ψ0 and ψ1, which are related by the given equation. In this case, the expectation value for position, <x>, can be calculated as follows:

<x> = ∫ ψ*0(x) x ψ0(x) dx

Since ψ0 is an even function, we can rewrite this as:

<x> = 2∫ ψ*0(x) x ψ0(x) dx

Using the given relation between ψ0 and ψ1, we can rewrite this as:

<x> = 2∫ ψ*0(x) x ψ1(x) dx

Now, since ψ1 is the derivative of ψ0 with respect to x, we can rewrite this as:

<x> = 2∫ ψ*0(x) x (dψ0/dx) dx

Using integration by parts, we can simplify this to:

<x> = 2ψ*0(x) ψ0(x) | - ∫ ψ0(x) (dψ*0/dx) dx

Since the wave function is normalized, we know that the integral of ψ0(x) (dψ*0/dx) dx must be equal to 0. Therefore, the final result for <x> is:

<x> = 2ψ*0(x) ψ0(x)

Similarly, the expectation value for momentum, <p>, can be calculated as:

<p> = ∫ ψ*0(x) (-iħ d/dx) ψ0(x) dx

Using the same steps as above, we can simplify this to:

<p> = -iħ 2ψ*0(x) (dψ0/dx) | - ∫ (dψ*0/dx) (dψ0/dx) dx

Again, since the wave function is normalized, we know that the integral of (dψ*0/dx) (dψ0/dx) dx must be equal to 0. Therefore, the final result for <p> is:

<p> = -2iħ ψ*0(x) (dψ0/dx)

I hope this helps with your calculations. Keep in mind that these results are specific to the given wavefunctions

Related to Expectation Value of Position for Even Wavefunction

1. What is the expectation value of position for an even wavefunction?

The expectation value of position for an even wavefunction is the average position of a particle described by the wavefunction. Mathematically, it is given by the integral of x multiplied by the squared magnitude of the wavefunction over all possible positions.

2. How is the expectation value of position related to the probability density of an even wavefunction?

The expectation value of position is directly related to the probability density of an even wavefunction. The probability density represents the likelihood of finding the particle at a specific position, while the expectation value gives the average position of the particle. The probability density can be calculated by taking the squared magnitude of the wavefunction, while the expectation value is given by the integral of x multiplied by the squared magnitude of the wavefunction.

3. How does the expectation value of position change with different even wavefunctions?

The expectation value of position can vary depending on the shape and characteristics of the even wavefunction. For example, if the wavefunction is more spread out, the expectation value of position will be larger as there is a higher probability of finding the particle at a greater distance from the origin. However, if the wavefunction is more localized, the expectation value of position will be closer to the origin.

4. What is the physical significance of the expectation value of position for an even wavefunction?

The expectation value of position has physical significance as it represents the most probable location of a particle described by an even wavefunction. It provides important information about the average position of the particle and can be used to make predictions about its behavior.

5. Can the expectation value of position be negative for an even wavefunction?

No, the expectation value of position cannot be negative for an even wavefunction. This is because the wavefunction itself cannot be negative, and the expectation value is calculated by taking the integral of x multiplied by the squared magnitude of the wavefunction. Therefore, the expectation value will always be positive or zero.