Find Residue at z=1 for Essential Singularity Integral - Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the residue at z=1 for a given integral. The person asking for help is unsure about their solution and asks for clarification. Another person points out that the residue of the analytic part is zero and that multiplying two residues is not possible. The first person then asks for further clarification, and the second person apologizes for their mistake. They also suggest a different method for computing the residue.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.

So, I've got this integral:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5742/scan0017.jpg

And I want to find the residue at z=1. I know it's an essential singularity point.

I tried to calculate the residue, but I'm completely not sure about my solution.
Can I please have some help?

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't see anything wrong with your solution. The residue is the coefficient of 1/(z-1), which comes from the exp(1/(z-1)) factor. Everything else is analytic at z=1.

Dick said:
I don't see anything wrong with your solution. The residue is the coefficient of 1/(z-1), which comes from the exp(1/(z-1)) factor. Everything else is analytic at z=1.

Yeah, well, the thing that I wasn't sure about is, that I took the residue of exp(1/(z-1)) and the residue of the rest of the function, and than multiply them.
So, are you saying that I can do that?

Thanks a lot.

No, you can't multiply two residues. But you didn't do that. The residue of the analytic part is zero. All you did was write the first order pole in the form f(z)/(z-1) and put 1 into f(z) getting f(1) as the residue.

Dick said:
No, you can't multiply two residues. But you didn't do that. The residue of the analytic part is zero. All you did was write the first order pole in the form f(z)/(z-1) and put 1 into f(z) getting f(1) as the residue.

Ok, just to make it clear, let's say the residue of exp(1/z-1) was 2, then the residue of f(z) would have been double the residue I found?

Thanks.

Sure. If you'd had exp(2/(z-1)) instead, the residue of that is 2. And the residue of f(z) would be twice what it was before.

asi123 said:
Yeah, well, the thing that I wasn't sure about is, that I took the residue of exp(1/(z-1)) and the residue of the rest of the function, and than multiply them.
So, are you saying that I can do that?

Thanks a lot.

I think I was being pretty thoughtless when I agreed with your solution. Sorry. Thinking about it some more I realized I was wrong. If you write u=z-1, then exp(1/(z-1))=exp(1/u)=1+1/u+1/(u^2*2!)+... But now you have to expand (cos(u+1)-1)^3/((u+1)^7*((u+1)^2+1)) in a power series in u. It's analytic so you can write it as a0+a1*u+a2*u^2+... Multiply it by the exp series and collect ALL of 1/u terms. So you don't just get a0*1/u. You also get a1*u/(u^2*2!) and a2*u^2/u etc etc etc. Now I think I don't have any idea how to compute the residue. Unless you can somehow compute a contour integration around u=0. Which looks equally hard. Sorry to have been so dumb. You were right to object about 'multiplying residues'.

What is residue homework help?

Residue homework help is a service that provides assistance to students who are struggling with understanding and completing homework assignments related to residue in various fields of science.

Who can benefit from residue homework help?

Anyone who is studying residue in their science courses can benefit from residue homework help. This includes high school and college students, as well as researchers and professionals in the field.

What topics are covered in residue homework help?

Residue homework help covers a wide range of topics related to residue, including its definition, properties, formation, and applications in different scientific disciplines such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

How does residue homework help work?

Residue homework help works by connecting students with experienced tutors who have a strong understanding of residue and can provide personalized assistance with specific homework questions or concepts. This can be done through online tutoring sessions or by providing detailed explanations and examples through written responses.

Is residue homework help a form of cheating?

No, residue homework help is not a form of cheating. It is a legitimate service that aims to support students in their learning and understanding of residue-related concepts. However, it is important for students to use the assistance provided to improve their own understanding and not simply copy the answers provided by the tutor.