Find the volume bounded by two curves

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume bounded by two curves when they are rotated about the y-axis. The person has tried to solve the problem, but keeps getting a result that is not possible according to the graph. They mention the formula for the volume of revolution and how they have tried to solve it, but are still struggling to find the correct answer.
Gamma
I have this problem bothering me. I am asked to find the volume bounded by two curves, when they were rotated about the y axis. I did it as usual.

Functions are y1 = cosx +1

[tex] y_2 = 2(\frac{x - \pi}{\pi}) ^2[/itex]

The way I did the problem is to find the volume of revolution of y1 and y2 first and then subtracting one from the other.

Plot is shown in the attachment. I keep getting that the volume created by y2, V2>V1.

which is not possible according to the graph.

I have done and checked this problem hundred times now and can not figure where I am going wrong. Please help.....:cry: :cry:

Attachments

• volume of revon.doc
    35 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:cry:The formula for the volume of revolution is V = [itex]\pi \int_{a}^{b} (y_2^2 - y_1^2) dx[/itex]So in this case, it would be:V = [itex]\pi \int_{0}^{\pi} (2(\frac{x-\pi}{\pi})^2 - (cosx + 1)^2) dx[/itex]Solving this integral, you should get V2 < V1, which is the correct result.

Related to Find the volume bounded by two curves

What is the definition of "volume bounded by two curves"?

The volume bounded by two curves refers to the space enclosed between two curves on a two-dimensional graph. It is the area between the two curves projected onto the third dimension, creating a three-dimensional shape.

How do you find the volume bounded by two curves?

To find the volume bounded by two curves, you can use the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution, which is ∫(πy²)dx, where y represents the distance between the two curves at a given point. You will need to integrate the formula over the interval of the two curves to find the total volume.

What are the common types of curves used to bound a volume?

The most common types of curves used to bound a volume are parabolas, hyperbolas, and exponential curves. These curves can be easily integrated and their volume can be found using the formula mentioned above.

Are there any situations where the volume bounded by two curves cannot be calculated?

Yes, there are some situations where the volume bounded by two curves cannot be calculated. This usually occurs when the curves intersect or overlap, making it impossible to determine the distance between them at certain points. In these cases, other methods such as the method of disks or shells may need to be used to find the volume.

Why is finding the volume bounded by two curves important in science?

Finding the volume bounded by two curves is important in science because it allows us to calculate the volume of various three-dimensional shapes, which is essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. It also helps us understand the relationship between two curves and how they affect the overall volume of a shape.