Find v in electric circuit (nodal analysis, superposition)

In summary, to find the voltage across the 5 Ohm resistor, we can use superposition and source transformation techniques. By replacing the voltage source with a short and simplifying the circuit, we can find the voltage across the equivalent resistors. Then, by backtracking and considering the contribution from both the current and voltage sources, we can calculate the final voltage across the 5 Ohm resistor.
The_Lobster

Homework Statement

Find the voltage v across the 5 Ohm resistor as shown in the attached drawing.

Homework Equations

Ohm's law, V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done plenty of these using different techniques, superposition/source transformation, nodal or mesh analysis, etc. But what puts me off with this one is that I don't really see where I should start. Am I right that I cannot turn the current source on the left into a voltage source because the two resistors in parallel have a node in between them?

What I have done so far is to devise two equations for the current in the two loops two the right of the drawing, disconnecting the current source (superposition), and I get: (I_1 = upper mesh)
Upper mesh:
[tex]0 = -9V + 35 I_1[/tex]
Lower mesh:
[tex]0 = 9V + 15I_2[/tex]

If I know put the current source back in place, and remove the voltage source, how would I then proceed to find the current through the 5 ohm resistor from th ecurrent source?

Attachments

• wk3_tut_2.pdf
    10.4 KB · Views: 256
Physics news on Phys.org
Replace the 9 volt source with a short; then the 20 and 15 ohm resistors will be in parallel and can be replaced with their equivalent. The 10 and 5 ohm resistors are similarly in parallel and can be replaced with a single equivalent. Solve that circuit for the voltage across the equivalent resistors. Now backtrack; you know the voltage across each parallel combination, and you can easily calculate the current in each resistor that makes up the combinations because you know the voltage across them.

Thank you!

But what about the contribution from the voltage source once we put that back?

This is superposition.

You calculate the contribution from the current source with the voltage source shorted, and add that to the contribution from the voltage source with the current source open circuited.

I would suggest approaching this problem by first identifying the nodes in the circuit and labeling them. Then, using the nodal analysis technique, you can write a KCL equation for each node to solve for the unknown voltages. In this case, you can start with the node between the two parallel resistors and write an equation for the current leaving the node. Since there is only one unknown voltage at this node, you can solve for it.

After that, you can use superposition to find the voltage across the 5 ohm resistor by considering the contributions from each source separately. First, consider the current source alone and use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage across the 5 ohm resistor. Then, do the same for the voltage source alone. Finally, add these two values to get the total voltage across the resistor.

Overall, it is important to approach this problem systematically and break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. By using nodal analysis and superposition, you can easily find the voltage across the 5 ohm resistor in this circuit.

Related to Find v in electric circuit (nodal analysis, superposition)

1. How do you use nodal analysis to find the voltage v in an electric circuit?

To use nodal analysis, you first need to identify all the nodes in the circuit. Then, assign a variable for each node and write down the equations for Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) at each node. This will give you a system of equations that can be solved to find the voltage at each node, including the voltage v.

2. What is the principle behind superposition in finding v in an electric circuit?

Superposition is based on the principle that in a linear circuit, the total response can be determined by adding the individual responses of each source acting alone. This means that you can analyze the circuit with each independent source turned on one at a time, and then superimpose the results to find the overall voltage v.

3. Can you use nodal analysis and superposition together to find v in a circuit?

Yes, nodal analysis and superposition can be used together to find v in a circuit. First, use nodal analysis to find the voltages at each node in the circuit. Then, use superposition to determine the contribution of each independent source to the voltage v. Finally, add the individual contributions to find the total voltage v.

4. What are the limitations of using superposition to find v in a circuit?

Superposition can only be used in linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must have a linear relationship between the voltage and current. Additionally, all sources in the circuit must be independent, meaning that they cannot be dependent on any other variables in the circuit.

5. Are there alternative methods to find v in an electric circuit besides nodal analysis and superposition?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find v in an electric circuit, such as mesh analysis, Thevenin's theorem, and Norton's theorem. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of circuits or may provide a quicker solution. It is important to understand the different methods and choose the most appropriate one for a given circuit.