Finding the value of each color?

In summary: For instance, in the row relating X and Y, W and P should be swapped, but they aren't. Another example is in the row relating W and D. Both W and D should be negative, but they aren't. Are these errors, or is there a pattern to these errors?In summary, Homework Statement states that a friend of the speaker gave him a math problem, and the speaker feels like a failure because he does not know the answer. The problem is to find the value of each color, and the speaker has the value of one color, white. There are equations to be solved, but they are not independent, and some are redundant. After substituting for W, the equations can be written in matrix form
Avraker

Homework Statement

Ok, so a friend of mine gave me this, I already failed, even tho I think I came pretty close, but I did something wrong along the way.
I have not done math in like 8 years so,... yea xD I feel like a failiure.

Since I hate not knowing the answer, and my friend won't tell me, I thought I would come to you guys ^^

I need to find the value of each color. I'll assign each color a letter.

Red=R
Light Red=X
White=W
Light White=H
Yellow=Y
Purple=P
Light Purple=D
Blue=B
Green=G

I do have the value of one color.
White = 9

Homework Equations

R=B-P

2Y=B

H=2R + G

Y + D=2R + X

R + P=B

D=G + B

2B=D

2R>Y

3R=W

X + Y=2W

P<R + Y

X + B=R + H

R + Y + W=P

W= Y + P

P + W=X

R + B=G

X + R=H

R + 2Y=G_________________

So I need the Value of each color :O

Would be so happy if someone could help me, so I could know the answer, since he won't tell me ><

Thank you for taking your time!
smile.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by replacing each W with 9.

Are theere no constraints on the ranges? E.g. Does each have to be a whole number?
The equations are not independent, i.e. some can be deduced from others, so are redundant.
A good way (after substituting for W, as GFauxPas suggests) is to write each equation with unknowns on the left and constants on the right. (Leave out the inequalities for now.) So 2B=D becomes 2B-D=0. You can then write the equations in matrix form. This will help you spot equations relating the same few variables. You can then add and subtract rows etc. to see if some rows can be reduced to all zeroes, allowing you to eliminate those rows. Further such manipulation may allow you to extract some specific values, but I suspect that after getting rid of the redundant equations you will have less than eight left.

Some of those equations look inconsistent to me.

What is the purpose of finding the value of each color?

The purpose of finding the value of each color is to understand the composition and intensity of colors in a given image or object. This can help with color correction, color matching, and creating a cohesive color scheme.

How do you determine the value of a color?

The value of a color can be determined by measuring its lightness or darkness on a grayscale, also known as its "brightness" value. This can be done using tools such as a colorimeter or by eye using a grayscale chart.

What factors affect the value of a color?

The value of a color can be affected by several factors, including the amount of light it reflects or absorbs, the surrounding colors, and the texture or surface it is on. For example, a glossy surface may reflect more light and appear brighter than a matte surface of the same color.

Why is it important to know the value of each color?

Knowing the value of each color is important for creating accurate and visually appealing designs. It can also help with color harmony and contrast in images, as well as identifying and correcting any color imbalances or inconsistencies.

Can the value of a color change?

Yes, the value of a color can change depending on the context and surrounding colors. For example, a blue object may appear lighter when placed next to a darker color, but appear darker when placed next to a lighter color. Additionally, the value of a color can be altered through lighting or post-processing techniques.