Floor of ratio of Fermat numbers

In summary, the problem is to show that Fermat numbers are relatively prime, using the mod operator that is used in Concrete Math. The equation to solve is (2^{2^n} + 1)\bmod(2^{2^m} + 1) = (2^{2^n} + 1) - (2^{2^m} + 1)\Big\lfloor{\frac{2^{2^n} + 1}{2^{2^m} + 1}}\Big\rfloor, and the book states that the answer is 2. The solution involves using the identity fn = 2 + f0 * f1 * ... * fm * ... * f(n-1)
fourier jr
my turn to have something answered o0)

1. Homework Statement

The problem is to show that Fermat numbers are relatively prime, which I could just look up somewhere but I want to use the mod operator that is used in Concrete Math, which says ##n \bmod m = n - m\lfloor{\frac{n}{m}}\rfloor## So if m<n the problem is to find

$$(2^{2^n} + 1)\bmod(2^{2^m} + 1) = (2^{2^n} + 1) - (2^{2^m} + 1)\Big\lfloor{\frac{2^{2^n} + 1}{2^{2^m} + 1}}\Big\rfloor$$

which the book says is 2. It's the part about simplifying the floor part that I'm hung up on.

Homework Equations

##n \bmod m = n - m\lfloor{\frac{n}{m}}\rfloor##

fractional part of x: ##\{x\} = x - \lfloor x \rfloor##

##\lfloor x+y \rfloor = \lfloor x \rfloor + \lfloor y \rfloor## or ##\lfloor x \rfloor + \lfloor y \rfloor + 1## depending on the size of ##\lfloor \{x\} + \{y\} \rfloor##

##\lfloor x + n \rfloor = \lfloor x \rfloor + n## (n an integer)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling I'm just missing something obvious about exponents or floors. Maybe it's the exponent in the exponent that's throwing me off. Anyway a couple things I've tried:

$$\Big\lfloor \frac{2^{2^n}}{2^{2^m}+1} + \frac{1}{2^{2^m}+1} \Big\rfloor = \Big\lfloor \frac{2^{2^n}}{2^{2^m}+1} \Big\rfloor + \Big\lfloor \frac{1}{2^{2^m}+1} \Big\rfloor + \Big\lfloor \Big\{ \frac{2^{2^n}}{2^{2^m}+1} \Big\} + \Big\{ \frac{1}{2^{2^m}+1}\Big\}\Big\rfloor$$

$$\Big\lfloor \frac{2^{2^n}+1}{2^{2^m}+1}\Big\rfloor = \Big\lfloor \frac{2^{2^n - 2^m}+ 2^{-2^m}}{1 + 2^{-2^m}} \Big\rfloor$$ (thinking that the denominator on the right-hand side would be close enough to 1 that it would simplify easily)

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not get this, Fy = 2 * prod(k=0 to y, Fk), where Fk = 2^(2^k))-1 ,
so Fy is relatively prime to all Fermat numbers less than it. qed

What about the question I actually asked, about the floor, etc? I know I could look up another proof of that just about anywhere but it seems not this one. I doubt it's even very hard since it's in the 'basics' section of the problems in this chapter.

fourier jr said:
What about the question I actually asked, about the floor, etc? I know I could look up another proof of that just about anywhere but it seems not this one. I doubt it's even very hard since it's in the 'basics' section of the problems in this chapter.

Just because it's in the 'basics' section doesn't mean that every method of approaching the problem is equally tractable. I have no idea how you would approach simplifying that floor function. I don't think this problem even belongs in the 'basics' section unless the text has already given you some hints about properties of the Fermat numbers. They must have said some stuff beyond the basic definition.

OK, my error.
The correct equation is (Concrete Mathematics, page 501):
fn = 2 + f0*f1*...*fm*...*f(n-1) = 2 + k * fm
so that fn % fm = 2.

This is in fact the simple way to prove the fractional expression is 2.

...yeah a lot simpler. I even saw that identity in the answers but didn't make the connection. I thought I was just missing something simple about floors or exponents but I wasn't even right about that but I see it now... :confused:

You probably figured out to show f0*f1*...*fn = 2^2^n - 1 by expressing the terms in binary.
So f0 = 3 = 11 binary, f1 = 101 binary, f0*f1 = 1100 + 11 = 1111 binary = 2^2^2 - 1,
f0*f1*f2 = 1111 * 10001 = 11110000 + 1111 = 11111111 bin = 2^2^3 - 1,
It's pretty how there are just enough zeros to avoid carries.

I didn't try the arithmetic but I remember reading in the text that the reason a lot of a biggest prime numbers known are Fermat primes is that they have the form (1111...11)2 which makes it easier for a computer to work with, or that it avoids unnecessary calculations converting it to base 10.

I meant Mersenne primes. I was wrong about that too. :rolleyes:

1. What is the "Floor of ratio of Fermat numbers"?

The floor of ratio of Fermat numbers refers to the largest integer that is less than or equal to the ratio of two consecutive Fermat numbers. Fermat numbers are a sequence of numbers of the form 2^(2^n) + 1, where n is a non-negative integer.

2. Why is the floor of ratio of Fermat numbers significant?

The floor of ratio of Fermat numbers has significance in number theory and has been used in the study of prime numbers and other mathematical concepts. It is also used in cryptography and coding theory.

3. How is the floor of ratio of Fermat numbers calculated?

The floor of ratio of Fermat numbers can be calculated by dividing two consecutive Fermat numbers and rounding down to the nearest integer. For example, the floor of ratio of the 5th and 6th Fermat numbers (2^32 + 1 and 2^64 + 1) would be 2^32, or 4,294,967,296.

4. What is the largest known value for the floor of ratio of Fermat numbers?

The largest known value for the floor of ratio of Fermat numbers is 2^32, which was calculated by the mathematician Paul Erdős in 1930. It is not known if there is a larger value for this ratio.

5. Are there any practical applications for the floor of ratio of Fermat numbers?

As mentioned before, the floor of ratio of Fermat numbers has applications in number theory, cryptography, and coding theory. It has also been used in the development of algorithms for primality testing and factoring large numbers.