Is There an Exercise Bike That Generates Heat?

In summary, this cyclist is wondering if there is such thing as a heat creating exercise bike. He is doubtful because even if the bike were to produce a lot of heat, it would not be enough to heat a room.
Unassuming
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was such thing as a heat creating exercise bike. Made for the purpose of creating heat.

It's really cold and the power bill is going up and I am wondering if this idea is stupid or has it already been tried. I would buy one.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are a racing cyclist you can probably put out about 1/3 hp for an hour - or approx 0.2kwh. That much electricity would cost you about 2c but it would take about a big-mac worth of calories.

So you are saying that even if I were a racing cyclist (which I am not), not much energy could be produced? Not enough to heat even a small room?

I'm not sure if you were saying that 2c is "2 cents".

Electricity costs around 10cents / kWh - that is 1kW of power for an hour.
1KW is a single bar electric fire or a small fan heater.
Unfortunately you can only generate around 1/5 of a kW.

mgb_phys said:
Electricity costs around 10cents / kWh - that is 1kW of power for an hour.
1KW is a single bar electric fire or a small fan heater.
Unfortunately you can only generate around 1/5 of a kW.

Why not build it like a heat pump and amplify the energy of 200 watts into the equivilant of 800 or more ?:smile:

Ron

$1000 racing bike
$200 trainer
$100 cycling shoes
$50 silly little cycling shorts
$10k heat pump + digging up nearby 100m^2 of land to install pipes
Generates 1KW
or:
1KW Fan heater $10
1Kw hour electric 10 cents

ps -- Of course if you cycle enough to generate a reasonable amount of heat you will have the sort of bulging muscles to become irresistible to evo - then staying warm will not be a problem.

Last edited:
lol, I was waiting for the "Priceless" to come in at the end of mgb_phys's post. =)

Sounds like one of those commercials.

Ken

mgb_phys said:
$1000 racing bike
$200 trainer
$100 cycling shoes
$50 silly little cycling shorts
$10k heat pump + digging up nearby 100m^2 of land to install pipes
Generates 1KW
or:
1KW Fan heater $10
1Kw hour electric 10 cents

ps -- Of course if you cycle enough to generate a reasonable amount of heat you will have the sort of bulging muscles to become irresistible to evo - then staying warm will not be a problem.

Hey!
What about stimulating the economy.:biggrin:

Related to Is There an Exercise Bike That Generates Heat?

1. What is a heat creating exercise bike?

A heat creating exercise bike is a type of stationary bike that is designed to generate heat during a workout. This is typically achieved through the use of resistance mechanisms, such as friction or magnetic resistance, which create friction and heat as the pedals are turned. The heat created can help increase the intensity of the workout and may also have additional health benefits.

2. How does a heat creating exercise bike work?

A heat creating exercise bike works by using resistance mechanisms, such as friction or magnetic resistance, to create resistance as the pedals are turned. This resistance creates friction and heat, which can help increase the intensity of the workout. Some heat creating exercise bikes may also use infrared technology to directly heat the muscles during the workout.

3. What are the benefits of using a heat creating exercise bike?

Using a heat creating exercise bike can have several benefits, including increasing the intensity of your workout, improving cardiovascular health, and potentially aiding in weight loss. The heat created during the workout can also help increase blood flow and oxygen delivery to the muscles, which can aid in muscle recovery and reduce the risk of injury.

4. Is using a heat creating exercise bike safe?

Yes, using a heat creating exercise bike is generally safe. However, it is important to use proper form and technique while exercising to avoid any potential injury. It is also important to start with a lower intensity and gradually increase the heat and resistance levels to allow your body to adjust. As with any form of exercise, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting a new workout routine.

5. Are there any special precautions to take when using a heat creating exercise bike?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when using a heat creating exercise bike. It is important to stay hydrated and take breaks as needed to avoid overheating. It is also important to listen to your body and stop if you experience any pain or discomfort. Additionally, it is important to properly cool down and stretch after your workout to avoid muscle soreness and injury.