Help me finding the current in here please (Circuit analysis)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of Iy and Vx in a circuit when R is given different values. The speaker has attempted to solve the circuit but has encountered some issues, including an incorrect KCL equation and the incorrect inclusion of a resistor in the circuit. The conversation also mentions that when R=0, some values can be determined without solving equations. The speaker suggests modifying the equations to account for these facts.
FelipeMedLev
Moved from a technical forum, no template.
Hi! I've been struggling with this.
Original exercise here: Find the value of Iy when R=0. And the value of Vx when R is infinite.
Cfoqb.png

For the first part of the question I did this since R=0:
htge1.png

I've tried to solve this circuit and I get that Iy and I5 are 0 A, and this can't be possible since Iy is a current source. What am I doing wrong?

The second KVL equation englobes the whole circuit. (Solved the system using Mathematica)
Fl6qG.png

2z0ST.png

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Cfoqb.png
    Cfoqb.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 707
  • htge1.png
    htge1.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 621
  • Fl6qG.png
    Fl6qG.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 404
  • 2z0ST.png
    2z0ST.png
    4 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
Your 4th KCL equation is incorrect.
Seeing how you've marked I2 and I4, the equation should be I2=I4.

Likes berkeman
Thanks!

Last edited:
You should eliminate the 15 ohm resistor in series with the 3Iy current source; resistors in series with ideal current sources have no effect on the rest of the circuit. The only reason to keep it would be if you were required to find the voltage across it, which you are not.

If R=0 there are some things you can determine without solving any equations. If R=0, then Vx=0 and also the 5Vx source equals zero. This means that the voltage across the 8 ohm resistor is zero, and therefore the current I2=0, which means that I4=0 and I3=Iy and I3=I5. You can modify your equations to take these facts into account. You won't need so many equations either.

1. How do I calculate the current in a circuit?

To calculate the current in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, I = V/R. You can also use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node.

2. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is amperes (A), which is also sometimes referred to as "amps". One ampere is equal to one coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second.

3. How do I measure the current in a circuit?

To measure the current in a circuit, you can use a multimeter. Set the multimeter to measure current and connect it in series with the part of the circuit you want to measure. The multimeter will then display the current in amperes.

4. What factors affect the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of components used. The current will increase with a higher voltage and decrease with a higher resistance. Additionally, the type of components used (such as resistors, capacitors, or inductors) will also affect the current in a circuit.

5. How do I find the current in a specific part of a circuit?

To find the current in a specific part of a circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law. By analyzing the circuit and using these laws, you can determine the current at any point in the circuit. You can also use a multimeter to measure the current at a specific point in the circuit.