How important is the work done by people who work in finance?

In summary: On the other hand, more than a few economists have argued that many of the recent financial innovations (complex derivatives, etc.) essentially constitute a form of rent-seeking (a debatable proposition, but probably at least partly true).In summary, the GRANDs asked if people with finance degrees are important to society, and according to the summary, all of their jobs are useful to society in one way or another.
Grands
Hi guys.

Due to the reason that I do not have a great knowledge related to finance, I wanted to ask if someone can simply explain me how important is for the society, the work of the people that work in the finance.
How their job is useful for the people?

Thanks
Grands.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grands said:
work in the finance.

Define what you mean by that.

Grands said:
Hi guys.
Due to the reason that I do not have a great knowledge related to finance, I wanted to ask if someone can simply explain me how important is for the society, the work of the people that work in the finance.
How their job is useful for the people?
Thanks
Grands.

I don't know about you, but I find it very useful to be able to buy things with my credit card, and to be able to put the card in an ATM and have it give me cash. Who do you think makes that happen? Also, I much prefer to have my savings stored in the bank instead of under my mattress.

Likes Grands
phyzguy said:
I don't know about you, but I find it very useful to be able to buy things with my credit card, and to be able to put the card in an ATM and have it give me cash. Who do you think makes that happen? Also, I much prefer to have my savings stored in the bank instead of under my mattress.
Engineers, computer scientists and bankers.

Grands said:
Engineers, computer scientists and bankers.

All of whom work in the finance industry.

Likes Grands
phyzguy said:
All of whom work in the finance industry.
I was referred to people that have a specific degree in Finance.

@Grands, your question is excessively vague. You have cleaned it up considerably by adding that you are talking about people with business/economics degrees (which is how I interpret "Finance") but you have given no clue what you mean by "important for society"

phinds said:
important for society"
With the expression: importance for the society I was referred to their contribute to people, like engineers create technologies and energy, lawyers defends people, veterinaries take care of animals, computer scientists write codes etc...
In this way, what a person with a degree in finance do?

Grands said:
With the expression: importance for the society I was referred to their contribute to people, like engineers create technologies and energy, lawyers defends people, veterinaries take care of animals, computer scientists write codes etc...
In this way, what a person with a degree in finance do?
Basically all of our lives revolve to one degree or another around the global financial system. It's what greases the wheels of the commerce that allows us to buy the clothes on our back and the food we put on our table. How much more important could it get?

Likes russ_watters and Grands
phinds said:
Basically all of our lives revolve to one degree or another around the global financial system. It's what greases the wheels of the commerce that allows us to buy the clothes on our back and the food we put on our table. How much more important could it get?
How do they do that?
They decide how much money to put in circulation ?

Grands said:
How do they do that?
That's one small part of a huge set of industries.

Have you googled "what jobs can a finance degree qualify you for" or "what is the finance industry"?

Likes Grands
Grands said:
How do they do that?
No, that would be the Fed. The "global financial system" usually just refers to the banks. They don't rely on actual money, they rely projections based on how much money they think they'll have in the future (credit). Bank A will borrow money from Bank B on order to fund something big. Bank B borrows that money from Bank C, which in tern borrows it from Bank A. This cycle works as long as everyone pays back what they owe in time, but it's finicky because if one of those banks can't pay, you end up with a chain reaction and an economic implosion. That's kind of what happened with the .com bubble and the housing boom, banks were borrowing and lending way more money than they actually had and it caught up with them. Credit is the basis for our modern economy and has been since the 20s, not money.

Likes Grands
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_services
Pretty important stuff here. On the other hand, more than a few economists have argued that many of the recent financial innovations (complex derivatives, etc.) essentially constitute a form of rent-seeking (a debatable proposition, but probably at least partly true).

Likes Grands
The USSR had scientists and engineers of comparable quality to the West, but no finance people-how did that turn out?

Likes Grands
BWV said:
The USSR had scientists and engineers of comparable quality to the West, but no finance people-how did that turn out?
Do you mean that knowledge without money became useless ?

newjerseyrunner said:
No, that would be the Fed. The "global financial system" usually just refers to the banks. They don't rely on actual money, they rely projections based on how much money they think they'll have in the future (credit). Bank A will borrow money from Bank B on order to fund something big. Bank B borrows that money from Bank C, which in tern borrows it from Bank A. This cycle works as long as everyone pays back what they owe in time, but it's finicky because if one of those banks can't pay, you end up with a chain reaction and an economic implosion. That's kind of what happened with the .com bubble and the housing boom, banks were borrowing and lending way more money than they actually had and it caught up with them. Credit is the basis for our modern economy and has been since the 20s, not money.
In the end someone will have less money and someone else more money, I mean, they do not borrow the same amount of money.

Here's another answer to your question of what finance people do. Suppose you have a business, either a large or small one. Don't you think it is important to know how much money is coming into the business and going out of the business each month? Keeping track is the kind of thing finance people do. In the US (and I suspect elsewhere), you are required by law to keep track of your financial situation, otherwise you don't know how much you owe in taxes.

Or suppose you want to start a business, like Elon Musk starting SpaceX. Where do you think the money comes from? He didn't make enough flipping burgers tos start SpaceX, he borrowed the money from financial institutions. The engineers and so on can't do their jobs unless they have money to work with.

phyzguy said:
Here's another answer to your question of what finance people do. Suppose you have a business, either a large or small one. Don't you think it is important to know how much money is coming into the business and going out of the business each month? Keeping track is the kind of thing finance people do. In the US (and I suspect elsewhere), you are required by law to keep track of your financial situation, otherwise you don't know how much you owe in taxes.
I thought that this kind of activity was done by people with a degree in business or economics.

Grands said:
In the end someone will have less money and someone else more money, I mean, they do not borrow the same amount of money.
No, the economy is not zero sum. Over the long term, almost everyone ends up with more money.

Likes Grands
russ_watters said:
No, the economy is not zero sum. Over the long term, almost everyone ends up with more money.

... or more debt!

The amount of net debt in the global economy is always zero

Likes russ_watters
BWV said:
The amount of net debt in the global economy is always zero

That's hardly the point.

Likes Grands
@Grands based on your questions and statements, it seems to me that you seem to have an extraordinarily poor understanding of finance. I suggest you do some basic reading in economics. It's really quite interesting and quite a bit different from what you seem to imagine.

Likes Grands, StoneTemplePython and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
So how is possible that every nation have a public debt and no nation have a public credit?

Likes PeroK
phinds said:
@Grands based on your questions and statements, it seems to me that you seem to have an extraordinarily poor understanding of finance. I suggest you do some basic reading in economics. It's really quite interesting and quite a bit different from what you seem to imagine.

To cut @Grands some slack, he/she is still a high school student in Italy (in past posts, he/she stated that he/she is in his/her last year of secondary school).

Likes russ_watters
Grands said:
So how is possible that every nation have a public debt and no nation have a public credit?
Same reason individuals do: because stuff is better than money.

russ_watters said:
Same reason individuals do: because stuff is better than money.
Yes, but in this way, if every nation have a debt, how is possible that the sum of all the money is 0?

Grands said:
Yes, but in this way, if every nation have a debt, how is possible that the sum of all the money is 0?
They have debt but not net debt.

Likes Grands
Grands said:
If the sum of all money is 0 then how did we progress from, say 200 years ago, to today? Seriously, do you think the sum of money today is the same as 200 years ago? You are asking for simple answers to a very complex, but interesting, set of knowledge.

Really, you are getting nowhere with a small Q&A session on an internet forum. Read some economics.

Likes Grands
russ_watters said:
They have debt but not net debt.
It seems that a country more debt have, more rich is.

phinds said:
Really, you are getting nowhere with a small Q&A session on an internet forum. Read some economics.
Suggest me some title then.

Grands said:
It seems that a country more debt have, more rich is.
Yes, in general you would expect that to be true.

Likes Grands
Grands said:
How is possible that a neurologist wrote a book about economics?

Rather that than an economist writing a book about neurology.

Likes russ_watters and BWV