How to avoid DC bias on output?

In summary, the BJT amplifier has a problem with DC bias. The resistance values in the circuit were not accurate, so the amplifier has been driftin
sherrellbc
I designed the BJT amplifier below. After substituting in for the values of the actual resistances measured in lab, I reran the simulation. The hand calculation I derived for the gain was nearly spot on with what I was seeing in Multisim.

Now, when in lab I get approximately the same value I should. The only issue is that I seem to have some sort of increasing DC bias on the output. The output will first start out at around 2.11V and slowly creep up until around 3V.

What can I do to avoid this problem? I thought perhaps by adding a larger capacitance, but it did not change much.

261z0o7.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like C2 is installed backward.

At 200 uf it has to be electrolytic...
Its + side should go to the node of Q1 & R2 (your point 12), its - side to R4 (your point 3).

if C2 was backward and passed DC for a good bit, it's likely fried. then get a new C2 and put it in correctly.

rbj said:
if C2 was backward and passed DC for a good bit, it's likely fried. then get a new C2 and put it in correctly.

The size of the resistors in the circuit will limit the leakage current to less than a milliamp, so it's unlikely you destroyed it.

But after you connect it the right way round, it might take a little while before the capacitance and leakage current settle down to stable values (the chemistry going on inside the capacitor needs to get back to normal). If your measurements still seem to be drifting, just leave it running for an hour and then see what it's doing.

C2 and R4 have a time constant of around 4 seconds. You will have to wait for several seconds for DC voltages to settle (and change)
What is R4? (20000ohms?)

AlephZero said:
The size of the resistors in the circuit will limit the leakage current to less than a milliamp, so it's unlikely you destroyed it.

yeah, you're right. 20K ain't much of a load.

i've seen electrolytics literally explode when stuck in backwards. it ain't purty.

jim hardy said:
Sounds like C2 is installed backward.

At 200 uf it has to be electrolytic...
Its + side should go to the node of Q1 & R2 (your point 12), its - side to R4 (your point 3).

I am always unsure when it comes to wiring up electrolytic capacitors. How can you be certain which way to orient them?

sherrellbc said:
I am always unsure when it comes to wiring up electrolytic capacitors. How can you be certain which way to orient them?

They have markings on them that indicate the positive and/or negative terminals

attachment.php?attachmentid=57791&stc=1&d=1365744386.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=57792&stc=1&d=1365744386.jpg

Dave

Attachments

• cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 429
  • cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 503
If you are working with DC then it's easy. What about when you implement them in AC design? Or AC biased with DC as in the BJT amplifier above?

Last edited:
sherrellbc said:
When in doubt, a multimeter will confirm the DC polarity.

Observe on your schematic that, in absence of signal, point 12 will be positive about five or six volts (Vsupply minus Icollector R2)

and since the capacitor should block DC, point 3 will be zero.

So the cap should go + side to 12.

When installed backward , electrolytic capacitors don't block DC at all well. They'll 'leak' in the milliamps range. They eventually lose capacitance and some chemistrys like solid tantalum will even catch fire. (I was worried there might be one in my pacemaker that got recalled...)
When installed forward they do a good but not perfect job - DC leakage might be as much as a microamp ..

look to cornell dubelier website for their capacitor tutorials. Like everything else they are a world unto themselves...

1. What is DC bias on output and why is it important to avoid?

DC bias on output refers to a direct current (DC) voltage or signal present on the output of a device or circuit. This can cause inaccuracies in measurements and distort the output signal. It is important to avoid DC bias because it can affect the performance and reliability of electronic devices.

2. How does DC bias occur?

DC bias can occur due to a variety of factors, including imperfect components, temperature changes, and electromagnetic interference. It can also be introduced intentionally in certain circuits for specific purposes.

3. What are some common techniques for avoiding DC bias on output?

One common technique is to use coupling capacitors to block DC voltage from entering the output circuit. Another method is to use differential amplifiers, which can cancel out any DC bias present in the input signal. Additionally, proper circuit design and component selection can help minimize DC bias.

4. Can DC bias be completely eliminated?

No, it is not always possible to completely eliminate DC bias. However, it can be reduced to a negligible level through careful circuit design and component selection.

5. What are some potential consequences of not avoiding DC bias on output?

If DC bias is not properly addressed, it can lead to inaccurate measurements, distortion of signals, and even damage to electronic components. In some cases, it can also cause instability and affect the overall performance of a circuit or device.