How to calculate average force?

In summary, a baseball with a mass of 0.140 kg and a velocity of 35 m/s strikes a catcher's mitt, causing the mitt to recoil backward 11 cm as it brings the ball to rest. The question asks for the average force applied by the ball on the glove. The student is unsure of how to approach the problem, having missed the lecture on force and not understanding the relevant equations. They suggest using the work energy theorem to solve for the average force.
kings13

Homework Statement

A .140 kg baseball traveling 35 m/s strikes the catchers mitt, which, in bringing the ball to rest, recoils backward 11 cm. what was the average force applied by the ball on the glove?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ughh i have really no idea. i missed the lecture day for force and have no idea how to begin. i drew a picture but don't understand any of the equations regarding force

Physics news on Phys.org
when considering average force you assume the force is constant.
if that is so then finding the work done would be easy. now just use work energy theorem

Related to How to calculate average force?

1. What is the formula for calculating average force?

The formula for calculating average force is: Average force = mass x acceleration.

2. How do I find the mass and acceleration for calculating average force?

The mass can be found by using a scale or by looking up the object's mass in a reference table. Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

3. Can average force be negative?

Yes, average force can be negative if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction defined by the coordinate system being used.

4. Is the unit for average force different from regular force?

The unit for average force is the same as regular force, which is Newtons (N).

5. How does calculating average force help in understanding motion?

Calculating average force helps in understanding motion by providing a numerical representation of the overall force acting on an object. This can help in analyzing the motion of an object and predicting its future motion.