How to disable all the videos on the side of the browser?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Videos
In summary, videos on side screens on forums and Yahoo pages can be annoying and slow down the internet. Ads can also be a problem. Turning off Flash or installing an ad-blocker can help.
yungman
When I go on some forum, or even opening the Yahoo page, there is always some videos running on the side of the main screen. This really slow down the internet and some times bombed out firefox and I have to restart Firefox.

These are very annoying. I like to block all the side screens. Anyone can help.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Which forum? PF? Are these videos ads?

If the answer to the last question is yes: On PF so far I have never been bothered by ads. For Yahoo I think you could use an ad-blocker. I have one installed in Firefox, but I disable it on some sites because it interferes with the content, because the ads are in fact relevant or because I sympathize with the site and want it to make a bit of money, too. So: An ad-blocker could help, but I recommend using it selectively.

Also, you could consider disabling or uninstalling Flash. It is unsafe and a memory leak anyway. (More and more videos play in HTML5, so these will not be affected.)

Likes yungman
yungman said:
When I go on some forum, or even opening the Yahoo page, there is always some videos running on the side of the main screen. This really slow down the internet and some times bombed out firefox and I have to restart Firefox.

These are very annoying. I like to block all the side screens. Anyone can help.

Thanks
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Very annoying. I use adblocker but it doesn't seem to get rid of many of them.

phinds said:
I use adblocker but it doesn't seem to get rid of many of them.
When videos appears always in the same spot, it sometimes helps to eliminate the whole "block" in which it appears.

Likes yungman
I have turned off Flash to eliminate the Firefox lockup issue. If Flash crashes Firefox crashes. And Flash is near 100% guaranteed to crash on flash heavy sites. They have made some improvements to this in recent versions. Many of the ads are not flash these days so they still run. If I need a particular video to run I can activate it from a button in the middle of where the video should be.

BoB

Krylov said:
Which forum? PF? Are these videos ads?

If the answer to the last question is yes: On PF so far I have never been bothered by ads. For Yahoo I think you could use an ad-blocker. I have one installed in Firefox, but I disable it on some sites because it interferes with the content, because the ads are in fact relevant or because I sympathize with the site and want it to make a bit of money, too. So: An ad-blocker could help, but I recommend using it selectively.

Also, you could consider disabling or uninstalling Flash. It is unsafe and a memory leak anyway. (More and more videos play in HTML5, so these will not be affected.)

I have problem with this forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/88-audio/. I installed the ad-blocker and first time the computer is quiet and the site responded well. I am crossing my finger typing this! For once the laptop is quiet. Usually when I get on the site, the fan start going on and loud, the characters had delay showing up on the screen after I type...

I installed Java like two weeks ago, I am not sure it is related yet. It just became unbearable today.

Thanks

Likes S.G. Janssens
Krylov said:
When videos appears always in the same spot, it sometimes helps to eliminate the whole "block" in which it appears.
Another place that slows down and have video is when I read articles on Yahoo front page. Now is a lot better after installing the ad-blocker. I am loving it, it's so quiet without the fan of the laptop going full blast!

Likes S.G. Janssens
I have been on that forum and on yahoo reading articles. I can't get over how quick the computer is and how quiet it is. Thanks Krylov.

Likes S.G. Janssens

1. How can I disable all the videos on the side of my browser?

To disable all videos on the side of your browser, you can use an ad blocker extension or disable autoplay in your browser settings. This will prevent videos from automatically playing on the side of your browser.

2. Why do I want to disable videos on the side of my browser?

Disabling videos on the side of your browser can improve your browsing experience by reducing distractions and saving data usage. It can also prevent unwanted videos from playing automatically.

3. Will disabling videos on the side of my browser affect other websites?

No, disabling videos on the side of your browser will only affect the specific website that you are currently on. Other websites will still be able to play videos normally.

4. How do I disable specific types of videos on the side of my browser?

If you want to disable specific types of videos, you can use a content blocker extension that allows you to customize what types of content you want to block. You can also manually block specific websites from playing videos on the side of your browser.

5. Is it possible to disable videos on the side of my browser permanently?

Yes, you can disable videos on the side of your browser permanently by adjusting your browser settings or using a content blocker extension. However, keep in mind that some websites may require videos to be enabled in order to function properly.