How to draw trajectories of stress lines without calculation

In summary: Then try the polarizing material experiment. Finally, read some posts on this forum that discuss stress lines in more detail.
feynman1
as title

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no question mark in the title.
Are you going to explain it, or are you asking a question.

That’s what photoelasticity is meant for. You can also use some software to evaluate stresses with FEA.

Likes feynman1
I'm asking the question as in the title under the condition that no numerics (including FEA) is used.

Do you want to draw the stress lines by hand? or somehow project them onto a screen? Either way you will need an analogue of the geometry and stress.

Likes feynman1
how to draw those lines by hand or intuition?

feynman1 said:
how to draw those lines by hand or intuition?
Aren't those identical in this application? If you want to use 'intuition', that implies you have some, perhaps unconscious, idea of what is going on. The typical way to gain this 'intuition' is by examining many instances of a phenomina and drawing conclusions as to how various factors affect the result.

Anyhow, stress concentrations occur where forces are either applied or forced to change direction.

For instance if you have a sheet of plastic and you apply a uniform bending force along an edge, that will be the origin of stress, with the stress lines distributed and radiating from the edge.

If you apply the same force at a point along an edge, all that stress will be at the point of application, and the stress lines will originate there.

You get a similar result where a force is redirected due to non-uniformity in the material. If you cut a diamond shaped hole in the sheet of plastic, you will see concentration of stress especially at the corners, and less so, but still significant, along the straight edges of the hole.

Your intial question reminds me of an old saying: "How do you describe color to a blind person?" I have yet to hear a satisfactory answer.

Get some polarizing material, some clear plastic, a light source and play with it.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes feynman1
thanks a lot tom! i wonder from which papers/textbooks one can get such intuitive explanations of stress lines?

Likes Tom.G
No idea. I would start with some Google searchs, text and images, for stress lines or stress concentration.

Paging @jrmichler. He may know of some sources; he is one of the more knowledgeable mechanical folks on the site.

But you will learn much by doing some experiments yourself with the polarized light trick.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes feynman1
I do not recall ever reading anything about hand drawing stress lines. The advice in Posts 3, 5, 6, 8, and 10 above is all good advice.

You could study the theory behind standard cases of stress concentrations such as shoulders, notches, round holes, and elliptical holes. Use that knowledge to recognize situations that require more in depth analysis, such as FEA. But the ability to hand draw stress lines has little, if any, value in the real world.

Likes Tom.G and feynman1

1. How do I draw stress lines without calculation?

To draw stress lines without calculation, you can use the graphical method. This involves drawing a grid on the surface of the object and marking the known stress points. Then, using a ruler or protractor, you can draw lines connecting the stress points to create a stress diagram. This method is less accurate than calculation, but it can provide a visual representation of the stress distribution on the object.

2. What is the purpose of drawing stress lines?

Drawing stress lines helps to visualize the distribution of stress on an object. This can be useful in identifying areas of high stress concentration, determining the direction of stress, and understanding the overall stress distribution on the object.

3. Can I use any type of grid for drawing stress lines?

Yes, you can use any type of grid for drawing stress lines. However, it is recommended to use a square or rectangular grid to ensure accuracy in the stress diagram.

4. Do I need to know the exact stress values to draw stress lines?

No, you do not need to know the exact stress values to draw stress lines. As long as you have at least two known stress points, you can use the graphical method to draw stress lines without calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to drawing stress lines without calculation?

Yes, there are limitations to drawing stress lines without calculation. This method is less accurate than calculation and may not be suitable for complex stress distributions. It is also important to note that the stress lines drawn may not represent the actual stress values on the object, but rather the relative stress distribution.